ford 460 running bad when hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooldaddy8

Hi All I have a 1997 ford 460 class A hurricane when it gets hot it shifts real hard, it shudders when on the gas. It has been doing this for a while so  I did a tune up plugs and wires but no different at first I thought engine now I'm thinking transmission any ideas would be great Thanks

It would help if you could define "hot". Does this rig employ an external trans cooler? if not how old is the radiator. Is the shudder just during shifts? If I had a little more information I think I could get You to the root of the problem.

Ok when we first start driving the engine is not up to operating temp yet it shifts and drives good but when the engine gets to operating temp which is 3/4 on the temp gauge ( sorry not sure of the actual temp ) it shift really hard and when getting up to speed it shudders the steering wheel shakes. when it gets to up to speed and just coasting at highway speed all is well. The tranny has a external cooler not sure of the age of the radiator though Thanks

Have you checked the oil level in the transmission? Read the dipstick but usually it?s done in park, engine idling, after getting it up to operating temp. and parked on level ground. Smell the oil on the stick also to see if it smells burnt. This could indicate internal slippage/damage in the trans.
One other idea that I?m not sure about on your class A is a vacuum modulator. They are mounted on the trans and a vacuum is hooked to it. If this vacuum line is cracked and leaking, or pulled off the trans can shift real hard. This would cause a vacuum leak also so it could cause the engine to idle rough etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mavarick I did check the level and it was good and the oil didn't seem burnt to me still red.I will check the vacuum line Thanks for your help

Really need to know more than just "Ford 460" What year is it OBD1 or 2? Engine running "bad" and "shifting hard" at the same time could mean entirely different things between old carb engines and late model OBD2. Not that I know know much about OBD. You may have noticed that a lot of members have rig info in their signature line at the bottom of each post. It ain't about lookee what what I got, it's about this is what I have, help please.

Bill

In my original post I stated it was a 1997 so there for it would be OBD 1 and the reason for my post was to explain what was going on if you have no ideas why reply. I read on these forums all the time if I can help I will but to just say that what I posted was wrong or to complicated to answer not sure what you are trying to say. From my point of view its not very helpful

Actually your 1997 should be OBD II. You can get it scanned, for free, at most any autoparts store. Then you'll have a better idea of whats going on, instead of having a bunch of people on the interweb guessing why your rig "shifts hard and runs bad when hot".

Bill.

It really helps if the info on your rig appears in each post. Many of us look at the latest entries where we have already seen the early ones.
Ernie

Cooldaddy8 said:

In my original post I stated it was a 1997 so there for it would be OBD 1

and then:

Ernie n Tara said:
It really helps if the info on your rig appears in each post. Many of us look at the latest entries where we have already seen the early ones.
Ernie

And.... it is so easy to do!!! Simply look under your profile when signed in (from the profile menu above) and add the necessary information under the signature item just as many of us here do. This way it appears in each post and thus we don't have to scroll back to the initial posts for the relevant information or ask needlessly.

Back
Top Bottom