Ford V10 vs Chevy 8.1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockypablo

I am now looking for a powerful gas power plant.  I am looking for opinions of Ford V-10 Vs Chevy's 8.1 Engine.  I have not heard great things about the V10.  Opinions are welcome.

I think they are very comparable. TheV10 revs higher for a given hp output, but it's  designed to do that and is a very good engine.

Ernie

I have not heard great things about the V10.

There was a short time years ago when some of the V-10s had a problem (not everyone saw the problem), but even most built in that time should have been fixed by now. The V-10 is a good, rugged engine.

Larry N. said:
There was a short time years ago when some of the V-10s had a problem (not everyone saw the problem), but even most built in that time should have been fixed by now. The V-10 is a good, rugged engine.

Can you be more specific as to the problem and time frame?

Every comparison I have seen on the forum have pretty much rated them even with each having an advantage in one or two areas.  I don't recall the specifics but as an 8.1 owner I do remember that one poster said they seemed to pull the grades better and easier.  That may be a function of transmission as well as engine.

Bill

Sun2Retire said:

The original head design, “did not” have enough threads in the aluminum heads....causing the spark plugs to “occasionally” blow out! The problem was corrected by a head re-design, in mid-year 2005 ( I think).... may  have been ‘04 mid-year!

“If” you have one of the early “problem” engines, and blow out a plug ....while terribly inconvenient, it’s not a huge expense. Ford designed a “special” heli coil type repair, that can be done without pulling the head or replacing the head with later model head. “Do Not” use a typical heli coil, as found in automotive supply stores....they will not hold up! My brother can testify to that!

Sun2Retire said:

From what I have read, the Ford V10 went through several evolution's between 1999 and 2005/6. The major problem encountered was a spark plug blowing out usually because of being improperly torqued and too few threads in the head. I believe this weakness was fixed in engines produced after 2002 or so. There were several other improvements made by Ford such as added HP and Torque by 2005/6. I don't recall much else but after 2005/6, they have been a solid engine as others have mentioned. They first appeared in pickups after 1998 or so and in motor homes in 1999, (chassis years)

The 3-valve V10 is similar in horsepower to the 8.1L V8, but the V8 runs at lower rpms to produce it. Many people find that lower rpms (less noise) to be less stressful on the occupants. Or another way to look at it, some V10 owners are unwilling to utilize all the power it has available due to fear of high rpms and engine noise.  The earlier V10's in motorhomes were the 2-valve, 305 hp version and that is noticeably lower powered than the 8.1L V8 while still having the higher rpm concern.

In the larger gas motorhomes, the V8 is paired with an Allison 5 or 6 speed transmission, which helps performance quite a bit. Ford used a 4-speed and didn't upgrade to 5 speed until 2006 and just recently to 6 speed.

I used to find the high revs necessary to get power out of my V-10 disturbing. Then I rode in a V-10 powered "trolley" bus in Durango. It was geared really low, and the engine spent most of its time screaming at what sounded like 4,000 RPM. That's when I got comfortable with the idea that the engine is designed to run at those speeds, and I stopped being so reluctant to disengage the overdrive or downshift early.
Torque peak on a stock V-10 is reached at just over 3,000 RPM, so on long or steep climbs I let it downshift until it will hold a steady speed at about those revs, accept whatever the speedometer says, and relax.
Over 160,000 miles on mine and still pulling strong. It's an awesome powerplant.
And yes, Gary, I do wish I had the 5 or 6-speed tranny. Or 8. Or 10. Can't ever have too many gears.  ;)

Ahhhh....  This is the friendliest place on the web.  No Ford and Chevy fights here.

They really do both have a very solid reputation.  No reason to avoid either but if you feel like you have heard bad things about the Ford go with the Chevy.  My Ford ran great.

The first V10 in a class A motorhome (1999 model year) made 275 HP. Then in 2000 it was upped to 310 HP (not 305 HP). Then in 2006 it was again upped to 362 HP, and a 3rd valve was added to the heads. All the E series MHs from 2000 on, are 305 HP.

rls7201 said:
The first V10 in a class A motorhome (1999 model year) made 275 HP. Then in 2000 it was upped to 310 HP (not 305 HP). Then in 2006 it was again upped to 362 HP, and a 3rd valve was added to the heads. All the E series MHs from 2000 on, are 305 HP.

It's funny in 2018 to hear of a V10 making 275HP.  Heck I think a 4 wheeler dang near makes that today. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom