Formaldehyde use in class A's designed for fulltiming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smakattk

I have just read an article which indicates that formaldehyde[size=14pt] is a huge issue in terms of illnesses related to the concentrations found in the trailers FEMA is using to house Katrina victims.  That being said, does anyone know if this is also an issue with motor coaches designed for fulltimers?  We are hoping to purchase a County Coach Allure or the like, which we plan to utilize at least 75% of the time. 
Have any of you been affected by the use of formaldehyde in laminates etc. in your coaches?

Thank you so much for your consideration of this topic.[/size]

Some people are senestive to _______ (you fill in the blank, most anything can be put in there)  For example I'm senestive to genetically modified tobacco, just closes me up and I can't breath

However most people are not senestive to whatever you fill that blank in.  This does not mean they can not become senestive through over exposure though.

The solution is to limit the exposure, this can be done one of two ways

one is to limit the amount of the offending material that is around them  That is look for a coach with a low Formaldehyde content in this case.  The other way is FRESH AIR.  I would never consider driving a car without the ventelation system operating except for very breif periods (IE: while going through the dryer in the drive through car wash)  At one time all GM cars had always on blowers to move air through them  Likewise I'd not consider driving my motor home with out Heat, A/C or Ventelation, and I prefer to avoid MAX A/C (Which recurlates air instead of bringing in fresh air)

Same with sleeping, I try to keep a fan on, the idea is to keep fresh air coming into the rig/room so as to limit all sorts of things that can build up, even C02 can build up in a tightly closed vehicle if you breath long enough.  Fresh air is the answer

We have had 2 brand new County Coaches.  First was an  Intrigue, second is a Magna.  Neither had anything smelly to me .  We've had the rigs in very hot (116) degree temps and very cold (0) and still no  industiral smells.  We spend full time in our 99 Magna.

Betty 

smakattk said:
I have just read an article which indicates that formaldehyde[size=14pt] is a huge issue in terms of illnesses related to the concentrations found in the trailers FEMA is using to house Katrina victims.  That being said, does anyone know if this is also an issue with motor coaches designed for fulltimers?  We are hoping to purchase a County Coach Allure or the like, which we plan to utilize at least 75% of the time. 
Have any of you been affected by the use of formaldehyde in laminates etc. in your coaches?

Thank you so much for your consideration of this topic.[/size]

If you are considering the purchase of a high line coach you most likely will not have a problem with formaldehyde unless you are extremely sensitive. We have owned two Bounders, a Country Coach and, now, an American Coach with no problems. However, I work part time at a dealership that sells trailers, 5th wheels and some lower priced motor coaches. I have had a lot of problem with formaldehyde in many of these.

If you do buy a coach and have a problem be sure to open the windows and air it out as much as possible. Heat really exaberates the problem so airing it out in hot weather is a must.

Back
Top Bottom