Found nicked wire in breaker box.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim828

Hi folks. I’ve got a 2010 Heartland Edge M21 built in late 2010. While replacing the converter, I just happened to notice the main power wire coming into the panel had been nicked when the factory electrician stripped back the Romex sheath. Both the hot(black) and the common (white) have been nicked. I took a couple of pictures that I think you can blow up and see them clearly. It’s the top wire coming through the back of the panel. In addition, the wire to the left and down has been nicked. I guess my question is what would you do? I haven’t looked in behind the panel from the water heater access to see if there’s excess wire I could pull and re-cut. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• 6DD8E42E-414C-453B-B961-AD60A0C0BD84.jpeg
    6DD8E42E-414C-453B-B961-AD60A0C0BD84.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 53
  • F3F58D28-13B9-476F-9A9E-28CEDD937821.jpeg
    F3F58D28-13B9-476F-9A9E-28CEDD937821.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 51
Personally if it were mine I would put some liquid electrical tape on it and call it good enough. This may not be to code, but at some point one has to way risk / rewards

It would be great if there was enough slack to pull through and eliminate the bad area. I would tend to guess that there will not be enough slack.

Easiest fix would be to use some good shrink tubing doubled or triple thick for extra protection. The wires will need to be removed from the lugs so that you can slip the tubing over the ends and to the nicks. I would at least double up by heating the first sections into place then slipping over another section of tubing.

The other way would be to install a junction box outside the distribution panel where the cut wire would end. From there you would install a new section of wire into the panel.

Electrical tape could be used however it is far more permanent using a junction box or shrink tubing. Electrical tape gets sloppy when things heat up and I would expect an event where things get a little hot.

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve got to pull the water heater access panel since it and the breaker panel back up to each other. Here’s hoping there’s enough wire to pull some new out but we all know how that’s probably gonna work. Not sure if there’s room in between for a junction box. Shrink tubing might be the best alternative. I always tried to cut away from the wires when cutting off Romex insulation for this reason or use a pair of side cutting nippers. Gotta get my contortion game on!

I would pull it out the back strip off a little more of the sheathing and put a layer of heat shrink on. The wires are pretty much immobile and have lasted over 10 years so far. I wouldn't worry about putting in a junction box and adding wire.

Personally if it were mine I would put some liquid electrical tape on it and call it good enough. This may not be to code, but at some point one has to way risk / rewards
I would do something like that myself. I keep a supply of GOOP
So long as only the insulation is nicked, not the wire tiself, nodanger
Another option is to disconnecte the wire and slip a length of heat shrink tube over the nick (I keep lots of that stuff about) and then heat it up a bit to shrink, if you are concerned about moisture use marine grade. get a box of assorted for under 10 or 20 (not sure which) at Horrible...er, Harbor Freight, marine is all black, non-marine is colorful, you can use two layers to handle color.

Liquid electrical tape and it will be fine. I've dealt with a lot of connections that was sealed with the stuff and it's some tuff stuff to remove.

I would just wrap it with 4 or 5 turns of electrical tape. I’m no electrician but I don’t know if the neutral wire has to be done because it goes right to the ground buss bar.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled the breaker panel out enough to see behind it and there is plenty of wire to pull through and cut and strip to eliminate the bad.

Back
Top Bottom