Four Unrelated Questions From a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron is right.  Starting down in lower Michigan we began seeing signs that no firewood is to be brought into campgrounds because they don't want a nasty borer to spread any more than it has and kill their trees.  They had copies of newspaper articles talking about its spread, so in this case I think it's an honest concern and not the campgrounds trying to get more money in their coffers.  Also, when we crossed into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, we passed a place where you were to stop if you were carrying agricultural products and the sign specified wood was included.  In Ontario we also saw no firewood signs in most campgrounds.  The last time we were in the eastern provinces there was a potato blight on Prince Edward Island and when we returned to Nova Scotia, they checked under and around the RV to see signs of this disease. On a previous trip we crossed from one state to another and they too were looking for a bug that eats trees (this was a long time ago so maybe it was whatever causes the Dutch Elm disease) and they went over our RV on the outside with a fine tooth comb.  There are so many nasty bugs we travelers can carry that can spread flora diseases that it's probably best not to carry firewood at all.

Hope you enjoy your new motorhome.

ArdraF

It's the Emerald Ash Borer.  They've spread from Michigan to Ohio and Indiana through the transportation of firewood (the insects themselves have a very limited range).  The pest has already killed more than 5 million ash trees in Michigan alone.  The ash is one of the most popular trees in the U.S., and many were planted -- ironically enough -- to replace elms killed by Dutch Elm disease a few decades back.

Currently, the only way to help prevent the natural spread of the insect is to clear-cut all ash trees in a several mile radius ahead of where the borer has been found.  That will halt its natural movement, but it's all for naught if the insect hitches a ride in firewood.  Where I live -- just north of Columbus, Ohio, the DNR has already cleared out ash trees on both private and public lands.  It's really a pity -- beautiful scenic riverbanks and timberlands reduced to thinly-wooded fields. 

The penalty for moving firewood from Michigan into Ohio, or out of quarantined areas in Ohio or Michigan is a hefty fine and potential jail time.  Hopefully folks will pay attention and abide by the laws.

That makes sense and I truly understand the seriousness of the problem. Many years ago in Wisconsin we had the Dutch Elm disease wipe out almost all our big, old elm trees - very sad. Some were saved through chemicals dripped in through holes in the bark, but at great expense. They do have a semi-resistant strain now, but for the most part have been replaced by maple and locust trees.

Ron said:
Some areas get upset when you carry firewood.? Here in Michigan we have seen signs at the entrance to campgrounds advising that firewood will not be carried into the campground.? Guess they have some kind of wood bug they are trying to contain.

That bug is the Emerald Ash Borer, no treatment to kill it and once it infests a tree the tree is a goner. I has now moved down from Michigan into Indiana. Infestations have been found lately as far south as Indy. Infestation is spread by campers taking firewood from place to place.

Check out this link.
www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125--65294--,00.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

Woody

Thanks for the tip on the Ohio and Michigan wood quarantine.  Most of the time it will not affect us as we buy and transport our firewood within state boundaries.  But if we have a little bit left over, entering or leaving those two states we will gladly abandon it.

If anyone knows of any other states with a wood quarantine, please post here.

Do those Michigan campgrounds sell firewood and if so where do they get it?  Most likely the most Michigan campgrounds must ban wood fires to be on the safe side.  This is the first logical reason I have come across for allowing propane but no wood fires assuming both are in safe equipment.

As someone said, there is a problem with something called the Emerald Ash Borer, and you will find signs on the freeways advising of the problem and that you may be subject to FINE if you are transporting "Bark On Wood" (I do carry some firewood, but it's starter logs, all processed "Wood" which came out of a factory, not natural "Bark On"

However as to the campgrounds which post signs "No firewood to be brought into campground"

Several of them I've seen are WITHIN the quarenteen area, so there is no justification for them baning incoming wood (now outgoing is another matter, depending on where you live)  I live in Michigan, I have a pile of dead ash tree in my back lot.. It's being used as firewood, one house north of my lot (In exchange for lawn mowing services)

But I find the "Don't bring your own firewood" at one park to be kind of interesting since the quarenteen limit is a long, long way north of them

It's a profit thing

Back
Top Bottom