Free Beethoven symphony downloads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John In Detroit said:
I got six and seven but did not get 1 through 5, appearantly they remove them from download after a period

The symphonies are posted for d/l after the broadcast and are on the site for d/l for one week, when they drop off. 8 should be on tonite and 9 tomorrow and will be on site for 1 week.

i have 1-7 d/led and plan to copy the whole series to CD. I will be happy to share, if the Supreme Court hasn't made that illegal ;D

Since these are BBC recordings, the recent Supreme Court ruling won't apply.  I think you're safe, but don't plan on going abroad for awhile. :)

Bernie:

The Supreme Court ruled on June 27th.

"27 June 2005 11:25 by Dela

In a major blow to technological innovation today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favour of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in a huge P2P case. "

Full story:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6571.cfm

I have never understood why tape copies are allowed but not digital.  At least from a legal point of view. 

From a tech point of view and a marketing point of view I do understand,,, but don't agree with the paranoid media executives.

Smokey,

I have never understood why tape copies are allowed but not digital.  At least from a legal point of view.

In theory, if not in fact, tape copies are (would be) illegal too because the artist and producer get no royalties, but there's a big difference between analog and digital copies and copying. Analog copies were of mediocre to poor quality compared to the original, but digital copies are indistinguishable from the original. If you recall, some year ago, the big music companies raised the same stink about a new technology called DAT (Digital Audio Tape) recorders, saying that they should be prevented from making copies of music and function as playback units only. Fortunately for them, they never caught on partly because of the high cost of the units and partly due to the advancement of CD recording. DAT's became moot point, and CD recorders were going for $500-600 initially, but dropped in price rapidly. Now they were worried because the average Joe Schmuck could make perfect duplicates. They can't develop encoding schemes for analog recordings because analog could care less about them and what's more, only a small percentage of people would be happy with an analog copy anyway. Digital is a whole other story.

Years ago, people bought 78's and 45's which had two sides. You bought it for the "hit" side and didn't really care too much what was on the back. Then came 33 1/3 LP's which had an average of 9 cuts on it, but you bought it anyway because you liked the general theme of the whole album. Record producers (and I use the term loosely to include tapes and CD's) latched on to a good thing and produced tapes and CD's with one (maybe two) hits; and the rest was garbage thrown in to fill it up, and then charged an outrageous price for them. IMHO, they brought this problem upon themselves. People are not willing to pay for junk, so Napster and others provided an alternative: pick the tunes you want, and ignore the rest. Don't even ask me if I think it's right or wrong; I won't make a value or legal or moral judgement about those who use those services.

The solution is quite simple and is being implemented as we speak - offer the consumer the tunes they want at a reasonable price and you have eliminated the problem for the most part. Sure, there will always be those who want something but don't want to pay for it, but to try to legislate morality and technological advancement is just plain wrong. You can't punish the many for the wrongs of the few. 

Slashdot finally noticed the BBC offering and started a thread from which I discovered this site:

http://magnatune.com/genres/classical/

Seems to have a wide range of  classic music for download and pay for on a shareware basis. I sampled a Bach cello piece and liked what I heard. I should be able to find something new to me to apreciate and buy.

Now that the BBC has been slashdotted, I'm glad I got my copies the other day.

Karl:

I understand all of that.  Which is why I made the comments that I understood the technical and marketing reasons.

However the legal point of view is based on the fact that acceptance of taping, despite the inferior quality, was acceptance of "fair use" for one's own equipment.  At the time that precedent was set, it was the highest quality production possible.

What is unfair is the amount of profit going to the media company versus the artist.

Smoky,

I know you understood all that stuff, but there are some younger folks out there that don't even know what a 78 is, and that's why I went into detail ;D. I'm not a lawyer, but think it all boils down to the fact that passing and enforcing copyright laws against tape copies just isn't possible; the horse is already out of the barn. Correction: the laws are there, but still unenforceable and economically unfeasible to persue because there really aren't any tape-sharing sites around to prosecute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom