Friction Sway Control Bars and WD Bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexDuke

Can anyone tell me what bars I can use or is there specific length type or whatever?
I have the WD hitch and the connections on my trailer, just not sure what I need.

Duke Forbus
1990 Prowler by Lynx 24'

Attachments

• 20190321_101355.jpg
    20190321_101355.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190321_101400.jpg
    20190321_101400.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190321_101426.jpg
    20190321_101426.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
It sorta looks like a 'Curt' brand.  Is there any numbers or anything at all on the head?
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17062.html#/

I will say, if anyone can get you what you need, it is etrailer.com

I would send an email to etrailer, with your pictures.  You need the correct bars, for the correct weight (your tongue weight). After you get the correct brand and bars, you will be able to find instructions to properly set-up the system.

Yeah after doing some research it would be just as cheap to get the whole kit then I know its correct and safe.

TexDuke said:
Yeah after doing some research it would be just as cheap to get the whole kit then I know its correct and safe.

It's thinking like that that keep people alive.

Welcome to the RV Forum Duke

You need to know the loaded trailer tongue weight to select the correct size spring bars, e.g. 800 lb, 1000 lb, etc.
WD spring bars also have to match the ball mount, which has the sockets the bars fit into.  If you don't have the ball mount (that slips into the receiver on the truck), you may as well buy a new WD and get it all right.
Consider a WD hitch that has anti-sway built-in rather than using a friction device alongside.  The standard WD hitch is only for weight shifting and does not do anti-sway.  Curt has an integrated sway control model, or there are excellent anti-sway WD hitches such as Fastway E2, Equalizer, and Reese Dual Cam.
https://www.curtmfg.com/weight-distribution/hitches

How do find I the loaded trailer tongue weight? Sorry kind of a newbie so I'm trying to cover all my bases to make life easier  :)

You can do well by assuming the loaded trailer weight will be 10% of the trailer GVWR.  You want WD bars capable of handling that much anyway, and they are adjustable (within limits) when actually hooked up.

Note: at least 10% of the trailer loaded weight has to rest on the hitch in order to avoid excessive sway. 12% is even better.

If you tell us exactly what you bought, we will help you get the right numbers to buy the right stuff.

I bought a:
1990 Prowler Lynx by Fleetwood 26' B
GVWR 6200

2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab 4x4
950 lbs Tongue Wt with WD Hitch
9400 lbs Towing Capacity
Payload for the '08 LE per IIRC is 2000 lbs

The numbers look good to me. And, I think you made a good decision to buy a new WDH. The staff at etrailer will be able to suggest the best weight distribution with sway control hitch for your specific tow vehicle (TV) and travel trailer (TT).

IBTripping said:
The numbers look good to me. And, I think you made a good decision to buy a new WDH. The staff at etrailer will be able to suggest the best weight distribution with sway control hitch for your specific tow vehicle (TV) and travel trailer (TT).

Again, X2  :))

I do wish I had spent the extra for something like the Equal-i-zer, I did get one with the trunnion bar set-up (mine is a Reese), some have bars that can hang down pretty low and interupt ground clearance.

You have a nice truck and trailer.  Get a nice WDH, you'll be happy you did  :))

SpencerPJ said:
You have a nice truck and trailer.  Get a nice WDH, you'll be happy you did  :))

:)) :)). It will make the trip a lot nicer...Nothing ruins a trip faster than white knuckles.

Yeah I have only pulled it a short distance so I definitely investing in a good system to make it safer and more comfortable. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom