fridge keeps going out on propane, cools fine on elec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joester

help -
my fridge just started this last week - got the propane filled so we can be sure to have enough,
started the stove to clear the lines of air and fire all 4 burners up before starting fridge.
I turn fridge onto gas, turn up gas about 1/4 - yellow light starts flashing as it's supposed to -
hold 15 seconds after light goes out, then release. about 1/2 hour later, light starts flashing again.
I re-lit about 5 times before giving up and going back to elec.
is there something I need to clean - I'd like to learn this myself, and not have to run to Camping World so much.
I was told that vacuuming the area on the bottom helps - have no idea what/where to clean.
thanks much -
it's a 1991 Dometic - we've had it for 10 years, no real trouble, generally start it and run on propane once per week.

Could be spiders webs in the burner tube or the flame sensor is not located in the flame properly.  Many times if it is spider webs they have to be cleaned out with a small bottle brush,

will give a look-see this weekend -
thanks for the info.
after 10 years with this rv, I should be better at troubleshooting these little things.

Check this thread also.

I'm currently dealing with the same issue (fridge won't run on LP) and that thread has a link with just about all the repair ideas possible.

[edit]Fixed link.[/edit]

scotty -
thanks for the link - I had tried searching the library, but did not see this.
looks like I'm going to learn about my fridge this weekend.
thanks again.
joe

joester said:
... I had tried searching the library, but did not see this.

Joe,

FYI a library search wouldn't find a discussion here in the forum. But the Advanced search link above should have found it. Glad that Scotty pointed you to it.

Tom said:
Glad that Scotty pointed you to it.

Even though I apparently couldn't get the hotlink posted correctly... ;)  Glad to help out.  Post back here if you figure yours out, as I probably won't have a chance (or the need really) to investigate mine for quite awhile.

Tom, Scotty et al -
thanks for the tips.
as is the normal situation, I get 2 new awnings and service the generator, then the fridge gets finicky on propane.
always something with these older rigs - but still love it!
will post back when I have more news on what I found.

good morning -
well, I have great news - fridge is working just fine.
also embarrassing news - went to try and light fridge again Sat morning, before going thru the checklists y'all provided, so I went to light stove as I always do to clear lines of air before lighting fridge. stove light briefly for a few seconds, then went out.
here's the embarrassing part - went to tank outside of rv - opened door - and saw the attendant had never completely opened the valve after filling with propane. had opened valve a little, but not enough to sustain
operation. 10 years of getting propane at same station - never happened before -
so I share this embarrassing time with y'all, to let you know to be sure valves are open before you think you have a propane problem. fridge and stove working just fine.

My comment doesn't have anything to do with why the fridge doesn't run on propane.  But one startup thing I have observed after having turned off the gas at the tank, is that it sometimes take a while to get the air out of the gas lines when I open up the tank valve again.  I have found that if I fire up my stovetop burners first, and let them burn for a couple of minutes, it seem to get gas to the fridge much more quickly.  I think the higher gas flow rate of the stove top help purge the air out of the gas line. 

I have found that if I fire up my stovetop burners first, and let them burn for a couple of minutes, it seem to get gas to the fridge much more quickly.

I used to do that back when we had a manual light fridge and used the trailer only intermittently. I agree it seems to help.

always something else to be learned - thanks again for all the help - and now I have a nice checklist when the time comes I have a real problem.  :)

Joester - It's not at all embarrassing. I certainly have had moments like yours where the "problem" was right in front of me and would be obvious to most. I'm also rather new to RV'ing and I'ver just resigned myself to the fact I'm going to look really dumb from time to time and there are nice guys on this board who won't judge and do their best to help.

Be glad the problem was such an easy - if obvious - fix!

Danny
Poulsbo WA

Back
Top Bottom