fridge not working on propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travler

For some reason the fridge has stopped working on propane.  It will come on then shuts off.  Stove working fine so we have the flow. Any suggestions appreciated.

One common cause is spider web in the burner tube.  Takes a small bottle brush to remove properly is that is what you have.  Also could be the thermocouple either is not in the flame or defective or board defective.

The most common reason for a burner that fires and then shuts off is that the flame sensor thermocouple is not detecting that the burner has lit. The controller circuit bard will shut off the gas supply if no flame is detected within about 30 seconds of ignition. That's a safety feature to prevent LP gas build-up that could result in an explosion.

The flame sensor is an electrode that sticks into the burner tube. In most recent models it is the same device as the igniter. If it is out of position slightly or if the wire connecting it it the circuit board is  corroded, it may not sense the flame. It is quite possible that the high energy ignition pulse will make it through the wire but the tiny curent generated by the flame sensor will not. I would remove, clean and reattach the wire at both ends as the first step. Replacing the igniter/sensor is the next step (not expensive or difficult). A bad circuit board is a slim possibility  too, but that would be my very last resort.

do you have dual Propan tanks? my ref and generator share one and the heator, hot water and stove run off the other...maybe one tank is empty? or clogged flue......mike

I had problems several times when the frige. would work on electric but not propane.  One time a chunk of insulation fell into the  top of the flue opening.  Another time the jet looked clean but when cleaned with fluid it worked.  The last time everything looked perfect but would not stay lit. It has the high grade dinosaur board in it so that was not the problem. The tech used a thin copper staw - with the unit off he very carefully inserted it into the burner opening a blew a strong breath in.  The ash just flew out.  The thing has run perfect for over a year since.  I carry one of those "straws" in the tool box now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom