From planes and boats to RV>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a330er

My wife and I (average age 68.5) sold the boat and want to cruise this great country. We've been listening a lot and so far are leaning towards a used Class A, pusher and if I get my way, one of the smaller ones. We're hoping for lots of good advice from veterans and, glancing at this forum, see that the RV world looks a little like the sailing community. Lots of warmth, good advice and shared tips.
I suppose our first biggest question is to confirm or counter are nascent bias towards the above mentioned choices.
The next big question is the suitability of taking a frail 96 year old along for the ride ... good idea? Bad idea?
We feel that both of us having flown large airplanes and sailed medium sized catamarans (45 feet) many decades that the learning curve of driving won't be overly steep if approached with an extra large dose of humility.
Finally, as we have looked at minimum 30 vehicles, we are starting to develop some brand/model biases. Consistent advice is that quality matters way beyond esthetics.
I plan to be reading a lot and am totally open to all advice and opinion ... later we'll focus on the how and where!
Michael and Mary

My advice is not to go small. Beginners always think that a smaller RV will be easier to park, easier to drive and get better gas mileage. All three ideas are completely wrong. Most beginners don't believe that and buy a small one anyway. Then about a year later they are trading it in on a larger RV.

Well to the Forum.

SeilerBird said:
My advice is not to go small. ... Most beginners don't believe that and buy a small one anyway. Then about a year later they are trading it in on a larger RV.

That was our mistake.  We bought small and a year later ended up buying a bigger RV. 

Welcome to the RVForum. I think most RVers end up with a larger RV than what they started with, but not everyone ends up doing that. I think one of the biggest issues with having a "frail" 96 year old aboard is getting up and down the stairs. RVs have handrails, but some RVs have four or five relatively steep entryway steps. Other than that, everthing else is pretty straightforward. There are lifts for RV entryways for disabled people. I don't know much about them, but I'll bet someone here does. Good luck with your research.

Kev 

I might be wrong but when it comes to Class A DPs, short is relative?  32 ft. might be short in the DP ClassA world?  We find our 32 ft. Winnebago Vista to be very comfortable.  Not sure how comfortable it would be for a 96 YO though.  It would seem you would want/need a very comfortable second bedroom for the older person?  You could always rent one for a few days trip and see how things go.
Which brands are you "leaning" towards?

About a year before my mom past away she had a good a friend die and wanted to attend the funeral. My dad couldn't take her in their car because my mom needed help to go to the bathroom and public restrooms aren't good for that. I drove them from Cincinnati to DC and back and my mom used the RV bathroom and got changed in the RV and attended the showing. Getting my mom in and out of the RV was not fun but without an RV she would not have been able to attend.

On a funny note, once I got them to the hotel, they offered to pay for a room and I told them I would prefer to stay in the RV. Just parked it in the back in a regular parking spot. My dad forgot something and came down and I think he was surprised at how very comfortable I was. Watching TV, having a cocktail and making dinner.

In the morning, I showered, put on my suit and tie, took them to the church service and drove them home.

Regarding size, I think it's a personal choice. It's just my wife and I and our dog. I love being able to squeeze in that last spot. The only time I feel I need more space is when my dog wants to snuggle. LOL

While I agree with the "don't go small" opinion, I will also tell you that with a big coach a dinghy is almost essential.

Other than that, find the "Newbies from Spain" read what I posted there.  That is all the results of direct experiences.

Most of all, enjoy the journey.

Matt

I thought we would use our toad more but bringing our dog and having all of our stuff when we day trip is really nice. Our unit is only 24' bumper to bumper so it's easy to park. Having my scuba and fishing gear in the outside storage area is so much easier. Plus the chairs and just being able to go to the bathroom and get something to eat. Sometimes less is more.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.
All told I think what some people consider small (I still think huge) will work for us; that is a "small" diesel pusher of 32 to 33 feet or a little smaller (as far as I know the smallest is 27feet I think).
Looking forward to learning on this fiorum.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom