Fuel Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

We spent last night in a truck repair facility in Salt Lake City, UT.

The mechanic in Wells, NV thought the fuel leak was from a secondary fuel filter.? So we had to wait an extra day for it to be ordered and shipped.

Yesterday, when we were about 60 miles outside of Wells, we stopped at a rest stop and it was still leaking.

DH called Cummins in SLC.? They told him to call back in two weeks.? Freightliner were booked until Friday.? Several more calls and same thing - all booked.? The owner of a truck and trailer repair shop said he didn't work on motorhomes any more but made an exception since we had a problem on the road and no one else would help us.

Appears it is the secondary fuel pump.? They ordered and received the part yesterday afternoon and it is to be installed today.

We are amazed Cummins (we have a Cummins engine) would not help us!!!

D2

Hope that will fix your problem.  When we have had a problem we call CoachNet and they will put us in touch with a repair shop that is close and has always been able to get us in that day or the next.  It usually takes longer to get approval from the extend warranty company than for the repairs!! 

D2 said:
We spent last night in a truck repair facility in Salt Lake City, UT.

The mechanic in Wells, NV thought the fuel leak was from a secondary fuel filter.? So we had to wait an extra day for it to be ordered and shipped.

Yesterday, when we were about 60 miles outside of Wells, we stopped at a rest stop and it was still leaking.

DH called Cummins in SLC.? They told him to call back in two weeks.? Freightliner were booked until Friday.? Several more calls and same thing - all booked.? The owner of Precision Truck and Trailer said he didn't work on motorhomes any more but made an exception since we had a problem on the road and no one else would help us.

Appears it is the secondary fuel pump.? They ordered and received the part yesterday afternoon and it is to be installed today.

We are amazed Cummins (we have a Cummins engine) would not help us!!!

Interesting about Cummins SLC. I had a leakiing hydraulic filter head whiich was a Spartan responsibility not Cummins and I asked them to help and they did the next morning. Actually two morinings. First to verify the problem and get Spartan to send part by overnite and then next day to install.

So we got the new fuel pump installed today and it looked like everything was a go.  While the MH was running and DH was hooking up the toad, I noticed LEAK  :mad:.  So it took 3 mechanics investigating.  One mechanic, had to have been at least 6'1", folded himself up and sat in the engine compartment  :eek:.  Now it appears the problem is a leak in the fuel line.  They are to pick up the new one tonight and install it tomorrow. 

We left Florence, OR last Wednesday and have only made it to Salt Lake City, UT.  At the rate we are progressing, we may not get home to Virginia until Christmas. :'(

D2  Just goes to prove what I 've said for years.  No mechanics today they are nothing but parts replacers.  A mechanic would have checked beyond the fuel pump or filter in the 1st place.  All trial and air for them and we foot the bill.  Sure doesn't save us any money that way.

I'm reminded of taking my Wife's Mercury Tracer to the local Ford Dealer,  problem was poor power, rough idle.

They told me the fuel pump was leaking and needed to be reaplaced (300 bucks) which I do not, for one instant, believe

They told me the transmission was shot (Tell me, how does this affect idle?)

They told me it needed a full overhaul of the engine... (Sure it did)

Well,,, I paid to repair the damage they caused (the fuel pump) and took it home, No improvement.

Now, earlier that same month I'd paid them to do a standard tuneup.

What was wrong with the car?

Needed new spark wires, distributor rotor and cap,  (All of which should have been replaced as part of the tune up)

They were rewarded with letters to Ford and the State Department of Motor Vehicles.  Enough of these letters they get a visit from a housewife with similar car problems... They rip her off like they did me and she properly introduces herself and her "Husband" The man with the padlocks, (Yup, state fraud investigators)

Back
Top Bottom