fuel stabilizer for winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

Does any one use any kind of fuel stabilizer while storing for the winter. I have a ford 460 gas engine. I have never put any thing in the gas tank while in storage. when winter weather hits I will start the motorhome once or twice a month and run the generator. I will let it run long enough to bring up the temp to normal operating range. I have been told i really should put Sta-bol. or some thing similar to keep the gas from getting moisture in it. If I have had no problems in the last five years . why put in any stabilizer now ?

p.s. no I can't move to a warmer climate during winter

We've used Sta-Bil for years for storage on snowmobiles and PWC's. It'll help keep the fuel from going skunky but won't do anything for condensation. Keeping the tank full will stop condensation pretty much. If you run it once in a while you'll keep the fuel in the carb. from getting stale. Be sure to get it good and warm to help get the moisture out of the oil and crankcase. Cold starts increase wear so keep thinner oil in the cold weather. Thats one of the reasons they recommend 5w20 oil in a lot of newer engines. If your fuel is getting bad you'll be able to smell it if you take the cap off, it'll take your breath away when it's bad. Not that any of this new fuel smells good. The worst time is when it's hot in the summer and whatever it is is stored in the sun.
It's a lot like chicken soup with a cold, it doesn't hurt.

You should use stabil in any gas thats not going to be used within a month.

Put some heat, or a gallon of e85 in the tank to adsorb any moisture.

Running the engine once a month is just bad for it, there is no point on running it if you arn't going to get it good and hot. Put stabil in, and leave it alone untill spring.

Keith

I'd run the genset, though.  Besides the engine itself, the power generator portion needs to get thoroughly warmed up to dispel moisture in the windings (not applicable if it's an inverter type, e.g a Honda Eu2000i).

As rbell says, Sta-bil will not help with moisture problems. A full tank will prevent severe condensation and some dry gas (or E85) will absorb modest amounts of water.

But gasoline fuel is inherently stable for 3-12 months, depending on conditions. The major oil companies do not even recommend adding stabilizers as  a standard practice for relatively short term storage, except with two cycle fuels (gas/oil mix). Moisture is the big problem - not "sour" fuel.  The color may change but the fuel is still fine. On the other hand, adding a can of Sta-bil is cheap insurance.

Sorry  Keyboard makes too many mistakes  Does that leave me off the hook on this error?  LOL

When I arrive at a winter or summer location where I'll be a month or more, I add a large container of Stabil, fill the tank, and then drive to the park to let things mix.  Then I run the generator for an hour or so to get the Stabil into the generator.  Seems to work so far. 

BUT

Here's the real issue.  How the heck do you get the Stabil out of the plastic bottle?  Why the two tubes and caps?  The directions on the bottle are less than helpful.  I almost always end up with a spill, and I can never get the bottom inch or so.  I use one large bottle for my 35 gallon tank.  More than once I've been standing in rain or cold trying to squeeze the Stabil, splash by spalsh, out of those pour spouts.  My gas fill opening is sort of recessed.  Need the long spout.

--pat

Wasn't swetting it anyway    Too stupid and stubborn  Oh  back to the subject.  I took razor blade knife and cut the top off.

How the heck do you get the Stabil out of the plastic bottle?  Why the two tubes and caps?

For most uses you only need an ounce or two of Sta-bil, so the bottle is made to dispense by the ounce. I don't have a bottle handy, but my recollection is that you tip the bottle to run the liquid into the smaller tube, which measures out a dose. Then you dispense from the small tube.

If you know you are using the whole bottle anyway, cut the top off like Carl suggests.

Like Gary says it's for measured amounts. Estimate how much fuel you have, look at the chart, and use that much. It's much more common when winterizing boats, PWC's, or summerizing snowmobiles. We get it in bottles that hold about a quart so the little measuring device is real handy.
BTW the larger bottles have a longer neck also.

I think the bottle says to use the whole thing for longer periods like multiple months and larger tanks.  Only the long tube reaches the gas fill opening, so I need to use that part.  Removing the cap serves about the same purpose as cutting off the end, I think.  I'll have to look at the bottle I have on hand for when I get to AZ in a couple weeks.

This motor starts very easily every time.  No hesitation.

--pat

open the main cap and Use a funnel??

there are usually free paper ones at the gas station.

That seems to easy am I missing something?

STA-BIL YES

There are so many products made for cars that have been proved to do nothing (Slick 50 is such an example, yet it's still sold) that I have to ask if it's been proved if  STA-BIl does anything at all.

I have a couple of unused bottles of the stuff and IIRC, the bottles say with the STA-BIL, the gasoline is good for up to one year. I have left gasoline in tanks for three years several times withOUT any STA-BIL at all and it was still fine.

Can somebody here convince me that STA-BIL really does something?

-Don-

Regarding DonTom's query whether Stabil does any good, I have heard that modern gas tanks or sealed or something, so that whatever corrupts gasoline is no longer a problem. 

Regarding the paper funnel, I had a supply and tried one once.  Don't recall the results. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom