Fueling Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

On The Go

Regardless of which side I fuel my class A from I have issues with the vent.  Diesel keeps backing up to the filler and I have to stop to allow fuel to go down or only put the nozzle slightly into the filler and fuel very slowly!  Not fun if I have to fill a lot...again this happens on both sides.  Info:  the vent line hole is on top of the filler and I pushed a coat hanger down aways and it doesn?t seen clogged, at least from tha end.  Hard to believe that this would be issue from left and right fillers.

This is a common complaint.  In general the problem is that the filler is more-or-less level with the top of the fuel tank (little downward tilt).  Diesel foams a lot and the shallow angle allows it to quickly rush back up the tube. The foaming also plugs the vent, exacerbating the problem.  You can open the filler on the other side to improve venting, but unless you are careful that can result in a fuel spill on the other side. Or you forget to close it when you drive away (been there, done that!).

Yes, be careful if you take off the cap on the far side from where you are filling.  I did that once and the pump did not kick off when the tank was full.  I spilled 2-3 gallons on the ground on the far side.

I fill up at Truck Stops (via the TSD fuel card) and never go above the second click/setting on the nozzle thinking it will reduce foaming and overflow.  I'll slow it from there when it gets close to where I expect it's being filled and will still get overflow.  Kinda given up and expect to clean some mess.

Yep, it's a common problem, and some pumps are worse than others. After the pump clicks off, I can usually get another 9 gallons in the tank by barely squeezing the handle and waiting... and waiting... and waiting. I've found no good solutions.

Kev

Glad it?s not a mechanical issue!  Still annoying when trying to fill.  I will try opening the other filler and see if that helps.  Not fun when there are a line of truckers waiting behind you.  ?. Thanks for all the input.

I have the same issue. 2019 Newmar Dutchstar 4369 on FL chassis.
I talked to both Newmar (factory service) and Freightliner (Oasis Service in Avondale, AZ). Freightliner just blamed the manufacturer. Factory service checked to make sure the "tube" slope was within specs - supposedly Freightliner specs).

My solution is to use the second notch until I've filled about 1/2 my expected amount. Then I use the first notch until about 5 gallons from my expected fill. AFter that slowly fill it until it cuts off. I still often get some backflow but I use 3 paper towels rolled up under the filler to catch any backflow. Even so I still occasionally end up with fuel on the ground. After the first cut off I can usually add another 5 gallons going real slow.

PITA. If I had known about this issue I would have spec'd the Spartan chassis on my build order(it was a $3500 option). Newmar has since dropped FL on all of their "luxury Line" coaches (Mountainaire and above). I don't know if issue this contributed to the decision.

Wow, seems like an industry wide issue.  Nice to know we pay big bucks for our rigs and we can?t even fuel them properly!  By the way what is the proper angle in their specs?

On The Go said:
Regardless of which side I fuel my class A from I have issues with the vent.  Diesel keeps backing up to the filler and I have to stop to allow fuel to go down or only put the nozzle slightly into the filler and fuel very slowly!  Not fun if I have to fill a lot...again this happens on both sides.  Info:  the vent line hole is on top of the filler and I pushed a coat hanger down aways and it doesn?t seen clogged, at least from tha end.  Hard to believe that this would be issue from left and right fillers.

I have similar issue in my class C where it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to put any fuel in.  NO one has yet come up with any answer and it may take 2 or 3 gas stops to get 30 gallons in my tank.  Sometimes ZERO issue and other times I can only get 3 gallons in.  The design of the fuel fill tube location is awful as its close to 8ft from fill end to the tank.  No obstructions, no kink vent line.  Makes all our gas stops exciting

On our Bounder the filler opening is at the rear of the rig. Whenever I need gas I make sure that I can be nose-down at the pump so that there is noticeable slant to the fuel filler line. If we're nose-high then filling is next to impossible.

Alan_Hepburn said:
On our Bounder the filler opening is at the rear of the rig. Whenever I need gas I make sure that I can be nose-down at the pump so that there is noticeable slant to the fuel filler line. If we're nose-high then filling is next to impossible.

My '00 Bounder is the same way.  If I don't have a nose low attitude, I'll lower the left rear jack before I fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom