Full-timer, moving to California, do I need to change DL and tags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

Hi, I've just moved to the Santa Barbara area, and rumor has it I have 10 days to switch to a California license.  I would prefer not to give up my Florida license, as that's my permanent mailing address, DL, tags and voting.

Is it possible to keep the Florida registration?  Under what circumstances would someone official ask me if I live/work here?  It seems like if a person moves in for a temporary contract, having them switch everything to California would be a significatn burden.  My job is "full-time", but in an industry where change is the norm.

I have a mailing address here through Flying Flags RV Park in Buellton, but I don't plan to make that my permanent address.

Anyone encountered a similar situation?

Dave

From the California DMV web site:

The CA Drivers license requirement.

The CA vehicle registration requirement.

The CA vehicle code.

You could be stopped by CHP at any time while displaying FL plates and, of course, you'd be asked for your drivers license if stopped for a moving offense or involved in an accident. You might also check if your insurance is valid if your drivers license was deemed invalid.

California has exemptions, explained to some extent on the CA DMV web site, but you might want to check with them if the web site doesn't answer the question for your situation.

Welcome to CA.  I hope you enjoy FF.  I have stayed there many times.  Its quite a nice park and in a beautiful area.  Before you settle in, check out Lake Cachuma, about 15 miles east of FF, through Solvang.  Also a nice little rural park, with rates quite a bit less than FF.

Anyway, getting back to your post and from professional experience.    CA Driving and Registration requirements are that you must have a CA DL and change of vehicle registration with 10 days of taking up residency (though without checking it may be 15 days for registration).  Residency can be having mail delivered, working, residing in a shelter where utilities are paid by you in your name.  From how you describe your situation, legally you would be required to obtain a CA DL and re-register your vehicle(s).    

Typically this only becomes an issue if you get stopped by law enforcement, after the aforementioned period.  If you haven't changed over, you may well be cited for not having a current CA license and veh. registration.  Usually that prompts the violator to obtain the necessary before the court date and often the ticket is dismissed - but not always.  It depends largely upon the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued and circumstances surrounding the original issuance.   There are a variety of circumstances which might cause an officer to request your DL and registration - one of which may be simply driving around with Florida tags on the vehicle, even though they may be valid (in Florida).  Now if you were stopped by an officer, say within a few weeks of your arrival, you may be simply 'advised'.  However, if it is a month or two or longer and, through converstaion, you identify your local mailing or business address, a citation is likely.   OTH you are less likely to be stopped while driving a MH with out of state tags, but a car or truck is a different matter.  Of course you have little control if involved in a accident and the police attend the scene...the truth will out.   It's not a big deal to change over but time, fees and a visit to DMV are involved.   (make an appointment on line, it's much less hassle).

You should also check,  and perhaps change,  your insurance policy to reflect any new address.  The rates and coverages may be different.  Insurance information and current registration are required to be carried in the vehicle at all times, while on the highway.  Furthermore, CA law does not permit you to have more than one DL so having both Florida and CA is not legally an option, though there may be ways to circumvent that requirement.  Your voting rights will not necessarily change.

Also, from a practical point of view, many business will not accept 'out of state' DLs for identification purposes, if you find it necessary to produce ID.  
Again, welcome aboard and to CA.

BT

Tom and I posted at the same time but he beat me to the punch. 

On reviewing his links, its 20 days for registration (not 15).  However, taking a job in CA triggers the need for a CA DL - even if the corporate office is in Florida.  The 'new' CA DL, along with residing in CA then triggers the re-registration requirements.

BT

BT,

I defer to your professional experience.

I had a similar experience many years ago when spending 18 months in NY on temporary assignment for my company. I got a letter from my boss on company letterhead stating that it was a "temporary assignment" and that I would be returning to my "regular working location" when the assignment was completed. I kept my FL driving license, registration, bank, voting, etc.  and I did in fact still own a home in FL, so my situation was a bit clearer than yours.  I never had to test the value of the letter with the NY DMV, but it did work with the federal & NY tax people when I claimed FL residency status for tax purposes. The obvious "intent to return  to Florida" was the key thing in my case.  However, my car insurer insisted  I insure in NY because the vehicles were "principally garaged" in NY rather than FL.

Without a clearly defined temporary nature of your job in CA, I suspect you will be out of luck if challenged.

Dave,

You don't say if this is a permanent or long-term temporary move. When we worked for the National Park Service in Death Valley, we were exempt from changing DL & vehicle plates because we were there for a specific length of time, less than a year. Seasonal employees do not have to change their DL & plates. However, permanent NPS employees and those on long-term temporary assignment had to switch to CA and that was enforced by the CHP officer who lived there, who, coincidentally, knew everyone who lived in DV.

Wendy

All good comments, thanks.  My job is officially "full-time", but part of my delimma is that I'm not sure if I like it.  So the 10-day rule is a bit of an inconvenience.  Not going to hold you to this, but if I am stopped, and I say I'm "staying" at Flying Flags and on a contract, what is the kind officer going to do next?  Give me a ticket, ask more questions?  I have been advised that parking in the "commuter" lot is a sure sign that you're here for a job, and is therefore an easy mark for Florida tags.

I did stop in at Lake Cachuma, it is a nice park.  They allow 3 months max, and then you have to leave for 2 weeks.  Not out of the question, but a bit of an inconvenience.  Also, during summer it's 2 weeks period.  I will check the rates.

I'm still undecided...

Dave

Dave,

Apologies, but it sounds like you're asking us to provide an answer you want to hear, rather than reality. If your move really is "permanent", you're running the risk of being in violation of license and registration requirements, in addition to possibly having your insurance company deny a claim because you have an invalid (in CA) driver's license.

That be your decision Dave. We've been in CA 28 years and have no intention of leaving.

Dave

'Permanency' is not an issue with regard to obtaining a CA DL - it's more to do with whether you trigger other factors, i.e. taking up residence, being gainfully employed etc. none of which may make your move 'permanent' in your assessment, but CA DMV has a different perspective.  Thus, once you have, or are required to have a CDL, then the re-registration of any vehicle follows.    As I said previously, you may 'get away' with not obtaining a CDL if detained relatively soon, but if the officer asks you for the address where you reside and where you receive current mail (that's the one which would go on any citation) and it's in CA, then expect to have a violation of 12500(a) (No CA DL) included with any others if you produce your Florida lic.    You roll the dice, I am just relating the law and it's application from too many years of experience.  It does not have to be CHP to stop and/or issue a ticket - any sworn officer from any jurisdiction throughout the State has the same authority,  vested by the State of Ca.

Incidentally, 12500(c) CA Veh. Code, also creates a violation of driving on a public parking lot or off-highway area to which the public has access, without a DL issued under this code

The very bottom line:  You live (no matter how permanent) and work here, then you are considered a resident and require CA driving documents after 10 and 20 days.

BT

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom