Funky Odor from fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Our recently purchased TT was stored with water in the fresh tank a couple months before we bought. I drained the tank, refilled with some chlorine, let it sit a bit, drained and refilled. Initially it seemed fine, but when we got to our first use and boondocking, so relying on tank for water, it had a bad smell. Hate to say or write this, but a sort of vomit-ish odor. Yuck. Couldn't even wash our hands. Added a couple ounces of chlorine, and it knocked out the odor, but of course had slight chlorine odor. Returned home and drained the tank, refilled, again with some chlorine, let it sit, then drained and refilled gain with some chlorine, Let sit again, drained and refilled with fresh, no chlorine. This morning, only a slight chlorine odor. Will drain again and leave empty for the day, refilling again this evening. (theory that chlorine will dissipate. Will refill with just water and check again in the morning.
Does this process seem reasonable? Any other ideas to cleanse the tank? I also bought a bottle of Tank Fresh? or similar name. Says put in about 1/3 tank and use 2 oz per some number f gallons of water. Supposed to sanitize and remove any odors.

We carry water for drinking and coffee, so no need to tell me not to drink from tank. Although it has never bothered me in the past, but never had an odor before either.

Here is a link to directions for water system sanitizing that may help. It may be that there is some type of algae in another part of the water system or the water heater.
This is the correct way to sanitize. However, I would let it stand at least overnight, 12 hours being better. Drain, flush and repeat the process. Use regular brand name chlorine bleach, not splash free, with at least 7.5% hypochlorite. Some of the cheaper brands have less than 5%. If possible take the trailer for a run to agitate the water and help scrub the inside of the tank.
some of the nasties will cling to air pockets in the tank.

Sound advice above - you need to sanitize the entire water system, not just the tank. Including the water heater, which can be a major source of stinky water.
While you are at it, fill and flush the waste water tanks, run some bleach solution through the drain traps, and check the anti-siphon valves in the sink waste lines to make sure they close properly. It's quite possible some or all the odor is coming up through the sink drains when you run fresh water from the taps.

In case of a build up of scale you can also try a solution of foodsafe citric acid. Steve can't remember the mix but check descaling instructions.

Odor not from drains, Ran a little in my hands could smell there and remained when hands were dry. Same coming from hot or cold, and got the scale cleaned out yesterday. Been doing the chlorine and water thru 4 rinse and drains so far.

Kirks link is pretty much what I did minus the baking soda rinse.
For storage, empty tank, maybe a little chlorine mixture? With enough water to cover bottom of tank to an inch or 2?

Dissolve a cup of baking soda in water, add to fresh water tank, fill with known good fresh water and pump through plumbing, allow to soak overnight. Drain next day, no need to rinse.

Back
Top Bottom