FW System -- Leave Pressurized?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

Should you leave your freshwater system fully pressurized during storage or not?

I was in my new MH yesterday after it sat for a week.? I turned on the pump and it did not have to run, indicating the system held pressure all week.? After I finished what I was doing, I turned the pump off and flushed the toilet to bleed the pressure off.

Today, I'm having second thoughts about leaving it unpressurized.? Originally I was thinking it would be less strain on the system and seals to leave it without pressure, but then your home system sits there year-after-year under pressure....

Any thoughts?

We leave ours "pressurized" and have done so in motorhomes and boats for many years with no ill effect, although that doesn't mean it's the "right" thing to do. OTOH if we lived in an area that regularly froze during winter months I'd be doing something different.

Today, I'm having second thoughts about leaving it unpressurized.  Originally I was thinking it would be less strain on the system and seals to leave it without pressure, but then your home system sits there year-after-year under pressure....

Yeah but your home system is made with GI, heavy wall copper, or schedule 40 plastic with threaded, soldered, or solvent welded joints.  What is the plumbing in your motorhome made with and how are the joints made?

Carl Lundquist said:
Yeah but your home system is made with GI, heavy wall copper, or schedule 40 plastic with threaded, soldered, or solvent welded joints.? ?What is the plumbing in your motorhome made with and how are the joints made?
I can't keep it here at the house, so I'll have to check next weekend at the storage place.  I think it's mostly PVC, from what I remember...

Another difference from a home system, however, is that the volume under pressure is much smaller and it is not hooked up to a supply.  That limits the amount of water that bleeds out if there is a problem. 

I'm thinking the best answer might be something in between -- when shutting down turn on something to bleed down half the pressure, but don't take the pressure down to zero.

I turn off the pump when it's in long term non-use, but I don't bleed off the pressure lessen I need to bleed off some other pressure... Then, hopefully, I turn the pump back on too.

Only time I de-pressureize on purpose is when it's winterizing time

I'm thinking the best answer might be something in between -- when shutting down turn on something to bleed down half the pressure, but don't take the pressure down to zero.

Eh.  Is it worth the bother?  How long does it take to pressure up your accumulator?

Carl Lundquist said:
Eh.? Is it worth the bother?? ?How long does it take to pressure up your accumulator?

It's just a tradeoff between the benefit of leaving a pressurized system to avoid any intrusion and the potential risk of having a leak that might cause interior damage.

Leaving it pressurized with the pump off is one way to detect a leak,, it should still have pressure when you come back

Should it leak, there will be limited damage as, well, there is limited water

Back
Top Bottom