FYI: For Anyone Planning to Travel with Their Pets to Canada & Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Or rather anyone traveling back into the US from Canada and Mexico. Just saw this video and it was of real concern to us as we have a planned trip to Banff in September and travel with our dog, as such we are considering the trip. This new policy in my mind is ridiculous, onerous and completely unnecessary. While I appreciate the US wanting to prevent the spread of rabies, neither Canada or Mexico have a high rate of rabies, as may exist in some countries. All that should be required, such as Canada requires, is proof of current rabies vaccination end of story.

I overheard a lady suggesting taking a pet off the street in Nogales as a rescue and she told the other lady "they've never asked us for paperwork coming back into the US, they could, but haven't"....

I've seen several signs down here in Arizona warning about rabid wild animals so there is obviously an issue of some sort.

This "issue" seems to be driven by Mexico RV Caravan Tours who think it will put a crimp in their business (see this Escapee Forum Post.)
The owners of the caravan tours are predicting that if Americans end up having to get their dogs chipped and fill out an online form chaos could break out after Aug 1st. Anyone who's lived through a senior citizen street riot, knows the peril.

As of 5-23-24, front line CBP officers had no knowledge of these new CDC rules for importing dogs into the country. There might be discussions happening higher up the chain as this will be an administrative challenge for front line CBP resources to manage the required documentation, including photographs of the dog(s), which the traveler needs to upload to the CDC website in before crossing. I suspect this will be watered down for travelers before August 1st and focused more on the intended target group, the importers of unvaccinated rescue dogs from high risk countries.

I wouldn't panic until Customs & Border Protection actually issues new border rules, but they will at least have to consider any advice from the CDC and other agencies. It wouldn't be the first time one gung-ho state or federal agency proposes a rule that the others consider too harsh or unworkable. Remember the attempt to ban sunny-side-up eggs? Or the more recent scare about natural gas stoves in residences?

I don't see an issue. We always have traveled with proper health and shot records for our pets, and ourselves.
Nor do I, you can get a chip implanted at most any vet or animal shelter and just do the online thing before re-entering the country. I doubt the CBP is going to buck the CDC on this.

I don't see an issue. We always have traveled with proper health and shot records for our pets, and ourselves.
We had our dog chipped when she was a pup and she is fully vaccinated, so the process should not be too bad other than filling out the paperwork on line with a photo. But, here are my causes for concern, it was mentioned if a pet appears sick or is injured they will detain the pet in a kennel until a vet check is done. First if the concern is rabies transmission, I fail to see how a dog that might have an injury, say a sprained leg while in Canada be a warning for rabies. As far as a pet with an illness I can understand how that might raise a bit of concern, but who is going to determine this, I hardly think the border agents are able to sift out a real potential for rabies vs a runny noise or running eye? Then I just read where the vet who documents the rabies vaccine has to be a USDA approved vet, not all vets are, I will check on ours. Finally, if there is a detail missed or changes while in Canada, the pet will have to be examined by a certain Canadian approved vet, I assume like a USDA vet in the US, except there are only 100 of them in Canada and very expensive. It just seems like too many unknowns at this point.

I and friends have been back and forth between the US and Canada quite a number of times on hunting trips. I/we have always had at least one retriever with us on our trips and not one time have we been asked for proof of rabies, licensing, etc., from either side, although we have always had it.

I and friends have been back and forth between the US and Canada quite a number of times on hunting trips. I/we have always had at least one retriever with us on our trips and not one time have we been asked for proof of rabies, licensing, etc., from either side, although we have always had it.
We have too but as of 8/1/2024 requirements are different and involved So what worked in the past will no longer, which was the main point of the video.

Seems to boil down to:
If your dog has been vaccinated in the US by a USDA vet and has an approved ISO chip and you have proof, no problem.

If you didn't take care of that before going on the tour, you could lose your dog. I can see where the tour outfit wants to make sure everybody knows before they head across the border.

I guess the Chip requirement is new. Nobody ever asked about a chip for Pitstop.

Last edited:
Seems to boil down to:
If your dog has been vaccinated in the US by a USDA vet and has an approved ISO chip and you have proof, no problem.

If you didn't take care of that before going on the tour, you could lose your dog. I can see where the tour outfit wants to make sure everybody knows before they head across the border.

I guess the Chip requirement is new. Nobody ever asked about a chip for Pitstop.
I hope this is the case, our Suki was chipped when she was a puppy and up to date on all her vaccinations. I think her vet is USDA certified, but will check at her bi-annual vet visit in July.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bullfrog1954
Back
Top Bottom