FYI hooking up your water hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PVC fittings do not use tape.
My father-in-law could not be convinced that flair fittings on copper lines do not use Teflon tape. He insisted on putting tape on the threads even after I showed him that flair fitting seal on the flair and ball surfaces.
He's too stubborn for his own good.

PVC fittings do not use tape.
My father-in-law could not be convinced that flair fittings on copper lines do not use Teflon tape. He insisted on putting tape on the threads even after I showed him that flair fitting seal on the flair and ball surfaces.
He's too stubborn for his own good.
PVC fittings do not need tape. It's like Windex. Is it a cureall for cuts, scrapes, bruises, and foot fungus? Probably not, but using it in moderate quantities isn't going to hurt anything. (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

One thing that might have happened with those PEX fittings is, if they are overtightened, there is a very thin plastic o-ring inside that makes the seal. It's not rubber, it's plastic, or PVC or whatever PEX is made from. If the connection is over tightened, that little thin piece of plastic will crack and break into 2, and then you will not have a seal. (I know, I've broken a few of these myself by over tightening.)

So, if after doing your Jerry Rig fix with Tefflon plumbing tape, and if it still leaks, then take one of those connections off and check the insides, see if something round and plastic falls out. If it does, you can get replacement PEX 1/2 inch connections at any Hardware/Home Improvement store, or your local RV dealership parts department.

I added an outside shower. The two horizontal 1/4 circle shaped pipes go to the shower. I broke the connections at the T's in both the hot and the cold line when I put this in. Over tightening is very, very easy to do with PEX. That's why you want to do ONLY hand tighten.

I use quick connections for my hoses.
Same here, ever since NY_Dutch mentioned these quick connectors I use them on all connections on the RV as well as all around the house. Outdoor faucets, garden, pressure washer, etc.. Just one SNAP. Done.

I have read some accounts of connectors of lesser quality that can fail, but the ones I mentioned above have worked fine for years now.

I was taught that only "pipe thread" (tapered) fittings used Teflon tape. Compression fittings, hose fittings, flare fittings, and others don't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom