Gas 10 Dollars a Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Houstonguy

Hi All,

Seems like Alan Gaines of Dune energy  in Houston Texas is predicting gas to hit 10 bucks a gallon. He and others say it will decrease to approx 50-70 a barrel then start a steady rise to 200-250 a barrel.
He is the guy that predicted 4 dollar a gallon gas a couple of years ago.

Going to be a buyers market in RV world for sure.

I believe that about as far as I can throw a motor home.  Than again maybe on 150 years it will be that high.

My 2 cents..
I have a client who is on the board of a huge world wide oil service company, based here in Edmonton, which is located just south of the massive tar sands.
He tells me the U.S. economy could not sustain $70.00 plus, per barrel last summer.
I am now reading that the speculators are getting into the buying and selling of oil, for lack of better opportunities.
We saw what happened to the real estate market due to massive speculation. I suspect we are in for a short spike in oil prices but sanity will return at some point.
If the U.S. economy will have a problem with high oil prices, how can they expect these developing countries like China and India, to have an easy go of it?
We will be taking our summer mini-getaways throughout western Canada this summer, and we hope to head down to the western U.S. next summer. I for one, will not be panicking over this.

I am in a half a dozen rv forums and I am seeing all kinds of scary storys of what is going on with oil and oil prices, if one were to believe even a minor portion of these fuel will be thru the roof at 5 dollars a gallon by june 1st.  I have never seen so many people freaking out over the price of something in years and years. 
As for me, it changes nothing short of increasing my stay at a location.

If fuel goes to 10 a gallon... RVing will be the least of my worries. Being able to afford to by food will be my concern. With diesel at 4+ a gallon now food prices are on a steady increase.

Our economy has already taken a hit from high fuel prices - and not just RVs. EVERYTHING is the USA moves by truck and high fuel prices increase every product in the store. Food especially, since it takes a lot of fuel to produce it on the farm, deliver it to the processor and distribute it to consumers. Families have to put $20 or more per week EXTRA into the fuel tank of the family auto(s) just to get back and forth to work or grocery store. Maintaining the lifestyle (transport to soccer games, visits to grandma) cost even more. That's $20-$40 per week that will not be spent on consumer goods & services - or maybe even food and clothing. And that money mostly leaves the country in the form of oil purchases - it does not get recirculated here to create jobs.

Our geographically huge nation is far more dependent on personal transport than most countries around the world. Size is one difference, but the fact that we have personal transport has caused us to spread out, to live far from work and shops, and to rely on inexpensive energy to maintain our homes and lifestyle. Now the rules have changed and we are going to have to adjust in painful ways.

The fuel thing is really scary for sure.  My inlaws own 23 semi trucks hauling Bulk milk & creme & brick.  We don't even start a conversation about fuel prices when visiting with them ! :eek:

RV Roamer said:
Our economy has already taken a hit from high fuel prices - and not just RVs. EVERYTHING is the USA moves by truck and high fuel prices increase every product in the store.

Not only trucks, but trains, farm equipment, ships, and airplanes. Almost everything it takes to grow and transport food and any other product you can think of in some way is reliant on diesel/jet fuel. I don't think the general population realizes this. I've heard a lot of people say: "I'm sure glad I don't have a diesel car or truck." They don't have a clue. And the press doesn't either..or chooses not to talk about it. Our local paper had an article the other day blaming the food price problem on population growth. Hogwash! Food prices started increasing with oil/diesel increases.

By the way, we may all find out first hand next month how dependent we are on transportation. Word on the street has it that there will be a major trucking strike/shutdown.

I drove from Oregon to North Carolina in September and it cost me 33 cents a mile.  I drove the same rig from North Carolina to Oregon last week and it cost 45 cents a mile.  When that gets to over one dollar a mile I will be forced to change my driving habits.  But until then what is one to do?

Gas is already $9 a gallon for us in the UK and Ireland

Hazel, of course much of that is attributable to taxes. When the folks in Westminster authorized drilling in the North Sea, they promised low petrol prices for all UK citizens. They conveniently omitted the part about annual budget day increases in petrol tax.

I am sure not sure where the prices will go.  I did a bit of internet research and found this site which talks about the breakdown of the parts that make up the cost of gasoline, http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.html  I found it interesting that the second highest catagory or component part was the tax.  No surprize, the crude oil component was the largest component part and made up most of the differance in price during the 30 day period covered.  We keep hearing about the lack of refinery capacity is also affecting the price but according to this the refinery portion of the cost is not a significant part of the total.  Two of the taxes appear to be set rates based on gallons.  One of the taxes appears to be floating bassed on the price which means that it goes up as a percentage with the total increase.  Anyway, more questions than answers in this whole thing.

Mark

Are you folks talking US gallons or imperial gallons? What's the price per litre?

Good point, Tom.

For those who like math:

1 Us gallon = 3.785412 liters
1 Us gallon = 0.83267 Imperial gallon

1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095 US gallon
1 liter = 0.2642 US gallon

1 liter = 1.057 US quart, or 2.113 pints, or 61.02 cu inches, or 1000 cu cm

Shall I go on?  :)

carson

My son in law owns an oil well company where by he buy the land mineral rights and drills oil wells.  Than he sells the oil or wells to the oil companies.  Due to the lack of refineries he is now just drilling for other oil companies.   He cannot sell his oil wells anywhere because there is no place to process it and thus he is just capping the wells.  These other oil companies are paying him to also drill wells and cap them for future use.  He told me a few months ago he had over 60 wells thus far that he owned that are capped and he has 15 crews out drilling and capping wells for other companies.  A year ago he told me that 50 of the wells he had he sold to Canada and they are processing the oil to gas and selling it back to the US.  There is an oil line that runs from Utah and Colorado to Wyoming and a line from Wyoming to Canada that process oil for a lot of different oil companies and sell it back to the US.  I dont know why we cannot build our own refineries to handle that oil ourselves.

Tom said:
Are you folks talking US gallons or imperial gallons? What's the price per litre?
US gallons
In Germany:
Gas 1,453 Euro per liter
Diesel 1,392 Euro per liter
1 Euro = $1,55625
1 US gallon = 3.785412 liters (following carsons thoughts)

I don't know how expensive gas is going to get but I'm hedging my bet.

Driving, as I must, 72 miles roundtrip five days a week to work and back in Southern California, I can't just sit and take the gas price hikes. Can't afford to retire, either.

But I can afford this: APTERA. It's an electric-gas hybrid that engineered for comfort, safety and fuel efficiency. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300mpg. Better crash resistance than most cars. They also make an all-electric model that will do 120 miles before recharging.

I paid a 500-dollar refundable deposit. They'll start to roll off the assembly line in a few months. Sales limited to California only for now. $29,000 for the hybrid, $27k electric only.

Comparing US fuel prices to those in Europe is not apples to apples.

Their governments offer many more 'free' services than is the case here and those have to be paid for.  Fuel taxes, a country-wide sales tax called VAT (value added tax) that ranges from 17% to over 20% are two sources of funds to support the government programs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom