Gas Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twtexas

I am the proud owner of a class b 1996 Ford E2 50 coachman 19 foot RV with 108,000 miles. It seems like I’m getting somewhere between eight and 10 miles per gallon. This seems really really low… But because I am a new RVer I may be my expectations may be too high. Is this gas mileage about right? Is there something I can do to improve it? Thanks very much!

You are doing well. You should come to a point where gas milage is nothing more than an indicator that something may be wrong. My latest calculations hav ebeen somewhat under 6 MPG while towing.
Pretty relative to how fast you drive.

You are doing well if you get close to 10. The big issue is to not put your foot in it too much. Look at the size box you are dragging. My bet is that if you took out that engine and put in a much newer one with a 5 or six speed transmission, you might get 10.6......
Drive it carefully and enjoy it. You get to eat what you want and not what what you can get and sleep in a bed you know and you are not paying 70$ a night for someone else's bed and maybe a cup of coffee.
Matt

Personally IMO, as a class B, I'd think you'd get a bit better. I also agree that it is tied to that mph. When is the last time you gave it a good tune up, plugs, wires, everything?
edit: what engine?

Being the first and only post, we have no idea what his normal speed is.. As we all know speed is the most important factor in mileage..>>>Dan

The biggest effect on your milage is the engine rpm not mph. Your rig has a rpm "sweet spot" depending on horsepower & torque curves converge. In order to get the best mileage, you need to maintain that sweet spot rpm all the time. My Class A DP has 400 hp & 1200 fps they are both @ 1700 rpm & on the flats with 0 wind, that usually equals 67mph. Hills, valleys & curves effect the sweet spot (SS) rpm tremendously, as well as engine temperature & tire pressure which can throw your mileage all over the place. Tires are another gas guzzler. If you have too little pressure, it will take your millage down and cause the tire temp to rise. Your tires age & condition are the most important thing you can regulate & they effect your safety & mileage. Just make sure you air up your tires to the correct pressure for the rigs LOADED weight of each tire(s)! My coach tires are kept at 115 lbs cold pressure all around for my weight on each corner. When they warm up after driving some, they go to 125 lbs warm usually 10 degrees more than ambient air temp outside. This IS the most important area to focus on is proper tire inflation & age, generally, no older than 6 years old, no matter than mileage on them.

My coach has new tires, & I got 5.9 going west on I-40 with a 50 mph head wind, between Gallup & Flagstaff recently & on the return trip 7.2 on that same stretch with a small tail wind. Average speed in both directions was 58 mph, no stops. I kept my rpm as close to 1700 rpm as possible by manually shifting the tranny when it would lug down on hills pulling my '13 Avalanche behind a 40 footer. I have had as high as 9 mpg on I-10out west Texas & as low as 4.9 in Colorado. Going faster than your SS rpm just guzzles the fuel, and most often you don't gain any time. Look at your engine/tranny combo specs for hp & torque sweet spots & try some rpm that gets the best of both. All depends on your personal preference as to time, driving comfort level & money. Usually you'll get 2 of the 3, but not all 3. When you do get all 3, you'll have had a great driving day. It varies all the time. That's why you see truckers driving the big rigs in the 65-70 range, they know that SS for their rigs, & when you see some doing over 70 as high as 80, either they're drinking fuel to save time or they have gear ratios to accommodate speed & mileage on the flats. You'll pass them on the hills. If I push my rig into the 70's (not confessing to more, here) the mileage goes to pot, under 5 mpg. I work hard with the cruise control set for 67 to 70 on the flats @ 1700 to 1800 rpm = that mph range consistantly. One side note, my engine side radiator cooling system on the DP is hydraulic not belt driven like yours, so the SS rpm of 1700 keeps the hydraulic pressure just right for engine temp!
Sorry for the long post on mileage. But there are many variables, more pronounced in a rig, than your car.

Thanks for all the technical explanation - I reference the number the needle on my speedometer points to and do pretty well, when I want to. A vacuum gauge can do even better.

The biggest effect on your milage is the engine rpm not mph.
So you are discounting how drag increases with the square of the speed such that, even in the same gear, a 5 mph increase (above 45-50, depending on the rig) can noticeably decrease mileage, far more than just the slight increase in RPM? Certainly RPM has effects, but at higher speeds nowhere nearly as much effect as the speed increase. And under some conditions a higher RPM (being in the next lower gear) can improve your mileage some over lugging the engine down at a lower RPM in that next gear up.

That's why it takes 10 times the horsepower to double the cruise speed of an airplane (at the same RPM, even). Drag is a very important factor.

We are not doing this for the economy of fuel. However, I undrstand the quest. I have 40' 385 HP and can see from 9 to 6 depending on terrain. a 95 should have efi, so keep an eye on rpms and speed. I used to have a 35' 1997 with the 460 and a 4 speed. I got about the same economy as on a 40'

I was at a fuel stop, driving a 37' class A. guy on the other side of the pump, Prius, CA tages, condescendingly asked me what kind of MPG I got driving the behomoth. What a setup! So I looked both ways and spoke in stage whisper and confided I was getting about 49 mpg, I had not filled up since Oregon (had Oregon tags), he was shocked and asked how, so I told him our research guy at the company had refdesigned the whole fuel system, it was very black box, and would be revealed in about 2 years, then asked hom to keep it to himself.

I get about the same as you do--8-10 MPH in my Class C. I try to drive about 60-64 MPH, but when it is windy, I slow down to 55. This past week, I had a strong head wind, which I am sure reduced my mileage. But I do not constantly keep track of it.

As a full-timer, I tell nosy people at gas stations that I may use a lot of gas, but don't pay property taxes and I spent only about $300 per year on propane.

Once you scale the cost of fuel to everything else you spend to make an RV go, MPG just becomes a variable you use to estimate range. I use the instantaneous MPG readout kind of like a vacuum gauge as I drive, but I don't watch it with any notion I'll gain any economy.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I was at a fuel stop, driving a 37' class A. guy on the other side of the pump, Prius, CA tages, condescendingly asked me what kind of MPG I got driving the behomoth.
I was asked that same question by motorcyclists several times. I said about 10 mpg but I don't have to make a house payment every month because my house was right here and paid for. And I could move to any state in the union.

According to Edmunds a standard 1996 E250 is only rated at 12 mpg. Add in the camper conversion and your gas mileage is outstanding.

My Cruise control is the Mrs.
When she says "Slow down.", I slow down.
On a really nice road, I can get up to around 65 without waking her from a nap.
Our Dancer, with V10 in an E450, averages around 11 to 12 MPG - depending on how much we run the Genny. When we run over to Grand Junction on the Western Slope, it can drop to 10 MPG if the Wyoming winds are against us.

I have been asked that question while refueling a few times. I generally return a funny look and tell them I don't keep track.

Personally IMO, as a class B, I'd think you'd get a bit better. I also agree that it is tied to that mph. When is the last time you gave it a good tune up, plugs, wires, everything?
edit: what engine?
I’ll check into the tuneup issue… Because I’ve only had it for a few months and I haven’t had it tuned up yet. It has an eight cylinder engine

I’ll check into the tuneup issue… Because I’ve only had it for a few months and I haven’t had it tuned up yet. It has an eight cylinder engine
I think your engine has fuel injection. So, all you need to do for a tune up is change the spark plugs and plug wires. Don't over torque the plugs when installing. You might also consider running a fuel injector cleaner through a tank of fuel.

You need to also have the timing chain checked. Depending on which motor you have it could be overdue to change it. A quality tune up might help a bit. Realistically at that age of you can get over 7MPG count yourself lucky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom