GasBuddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L-M-L

I downloaded the gas buddy app on my phone. The app is wanting me to get their free card for up to .25 cents off per gallon. I was needing to know from the ones that have tried the GasBuddy card is it worth it and if you had any problems with it? How many stations and truck stops accept the card for discounts?

The app is wanting me to get their free card for up to .25 cents off per gallon.
I use their app and have for many years and don't get spam from them. I did consider their card but chose not to as the credit card that I use gives me 2% on every purchase while the Gas Buddy card requires a link to your checking like a debit card.

As others have reported, I get no spam from using the app. Maybe signing up for their card is what triggers it? As for "up to" 25 cents/gallon off, good luck finding that! I get at least 2% kickback with my credit cards (sometimes as much as 5%), and that is everywhere I go, not just some particular fuel stop somewhere.

I have signed up for Dinopay-Sinclair. Knocks off from 10 to 30 cents a gallon at Sinclair stations. Has to be connected to a card or checking account. Absolutely painless. No spam, it just works. GasBuddy offers always seemed a bit sketchy to me.

I have gas buddy, TSD and GetUpside. I use TSD when Iā€™m traveling. For day to day fill ups of my truck I use GetUpside. I honestly forgot I have a gas buddy card.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to forget about GasBuddy and go with TSD. We have a Good Sams membership so that's good for an 8 cent discount at Pilot/Flying J. I am going to keep the GasBuddy app on my phone for finding fuel stations.

Tracking your every move is big money. This is their motivation. You click on YES to accept their terms and then download their app into your phone. YES means they are free to browse all your personal info in your phone, this is the same for almost all apps. If you get spam it is unlikely to be labeled as from gasbuddy as they do not want you mad at them. When they sell your personal info the spam that comes later is not tagged gasbuddy.
Most of you might have a FB account. Don't even worry about online privacy; you have none.

That said, the regular gasbuddy app is a great too for finding the cheapest gas. It has saved me a lot on big trips where gas can vary 30 cents from one exit to the next.
Typically you drive more than 1/2 mile off the interstate and gas prices drop. The stations right at the interstate are the highest prices.

I use their app and have for many years and don't get spam from them. I did consider their card but chose not to as the credit card that I use gives me 2% on every purchase while the Gas Buddy card requires a link to your checking like a debit card.
Same no spam but I do find cheaper (none is cheap) fuel, currently better than TSD in my area.

I've used Gas Buddy for 15+ years now, since the time it was a website for tracking prices... before smart phones and apps were ever dreamed up. ;) About 2 years ago I finally relented and got their payment card, and I really enjoy it. It's accepted nearly everywhere (no limits on certain brands of gas) and works well even for the typical extra 5-6 cents off. There IS a small town gas station near me that sometimes has the 25 cent offers (so that DOES happen, just not often), but that station's gas is overpriced by 30 cents to begin with... so it's a toss up. The cent-off discount is up to the station owners I believe. Gas Buddy just processes the transactions.

I also like that the GB card payment can be combined with other gas station discount/rewards programs. I have a Shell Fuel Saver card, always good for 5 cents off, and 10 cents off on Tuesdays. So when it works out, on Tuesdays I swipe that Shell membership card first, then pay with the Gas Buddy card... usually netting me a 15-16 cent discount per gallon. Pretty good IMO.

I've never gotten any extra spam from Gas Buddy, app or card. At least not anything I couldn't opt out of. So I'm not sure what those complaints are about.

I have signed up for Dinopay-Sinclair. Knocks off from 10 to 30 cents a gallon at Sinclair stations. Has to be connected to a card or checking account. Absolutely painless. No spam, it just works.
Well, it just works in the 29 States that have a Sinclair station. And, if you happen to have one where you want to travel. According to their website there are only 3 in all of Texas - can that be correct?

How about documenting this statement? Or is this another fact gleaned from Facebook?
If you want documentation, just read their agreement when you explore the card deal.

These guys, along with many other entitles, state in their fine print that you give them the right to track your web site visits, access your contacts, and sell your private information to their ā€œpartnersā€, whomever they may be.

Just the other day, someone posted here about a new navigation app for truckers and rv owners. It sounded pretty good, so I downloaded the app. In the install process, I carefully read their agreement. It stated exactly what I said above - they were going to harvest and sell my private info. I declined their agreement and did not install the app.

If you want documentation, just read their agreement when you explore the card deal.

These guys, along with many other entitles, state in their fine print that you give them the right to track your web site visits, access your contacts, and sell your private information to their ā€œpartnersā€, whomever they may be.

Just the other day, someone posted here about a new navigation app for truckers and rv owners. It sounded pretty good, so I downloaded the app. In the install process, I carefully read their agreement. It stated exactly what I said above - they were going to harvest and sell my private info. I declined their agreement and did not install the app.

If you declined the app agreement, then you should get rid of your credit cards, too.

i have used this app for years, on & off. Mainly just to find the available gas/prices around my location. No problem. Have never purchased anything from them, so i too do not get any type of spam from them

Huh? What? Why?

It's more of a quip about some people's selective concern regarding the capture of "personal" information. Does it matter if an app is mining "personal" data when you may already be giving that to many other apps, services, providers, or even your bank? Granted, some data is more sensitive. But how many other apps are on that phone, doing the exact same thing?

Contrary to my sarcasm, I do understand. I just urge people to do the things they do, with eyes wide open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom