Gasoline is cheaper these days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a very broad generalization, but also characteristic of young adults. Bouncing between jobs is even considered normal in career realms to some degree, as it's one of the few ways to gain a salary adjustment more than a few years of annual pittance raises in return for literally killing oneself at a job.

Young people do think about and experience life in the moment. The defined path of marrying someone and starting a family and purchasing a home is becoming less common, as is taking work less seriously. Young 20's are about experience and travel, and who can blame them. They're doing it in a prime time for health, virility, and while they have a lack of any real responsibility.

Homes are beyond expensive, cars are expensive, gas is expensive. Their experience of the family unit is a 50% chance of unhappiness, infidelity, divorce, making it look like a lost cause to "settle" so young. They see their parents unhappy and stressed out in their jobs, laid off from a career because a change in the breeze, and working their whole lives to not really have anything at the end, and that includes health. Politics are a joke, financial institutions can't be trusted, and neither can corporations.

This is not the 1960's, 70's, 80's, or 90's, in fact, it's nothing like even 20 years ago.

Why do we judge them instead of help them with the goals they are willing to set?
Nice! It is much harder for younger people today than it was for us older folk. Over the last 20 maybe 30 years...major areas have become crazy expensive from university tuition to houses to health care...etc... My son is 32 and has a much better idea of how to live than I did. He wants to enjoy life more and not kill himself with an all obsessive career like I did. He still has a highly honorable 9 to 5 career but isn't over working and over compensating through climbing to the top of the heap like I did with my working life.

Nice! It is much harder for younger people today than it was for us older folk. Over the last 20 maybe 30 years...major areas have become crazy expensive from university tuition to houses to health care...etc... My son is 32 and has a much better idea of how to live than I did. He wants to enjoy life more and not kill himself with an all obsessive career like I did. He still has a highly honorable 9 to 5 career but isn't over working and over compensating through climbing to the top of the heap like I did with my working life.
Good on him. I read somwhere that when lottery winners were asked if they are happier now than before, the majority answered, "not particularly" .

Financial irresponsibility isn't limited to just young generations, though. Plenty of people are in retirement or arriving at retirement having saved way too little or nothing at all.

Millennials, as an aggregate in the US, are doing respectably. Most have gotten up off the couch and moved out of their parents' basements and are doing something productive. Whether the majority will arrive at retirement ready to pay their own way, we shall see. They are the first generation where the majority do not have pensions and they are expected to almost completely shoulder, save, and invest for their own retirement years.

It's the youngest I can't figure out, they really are up against a wall.

Financial irresponsibility isn't limited to just young generations, though. Plenty of people are in retirement or arriving at retirement having saved way too little or nothing at all.

Millennials, as an aggregate in the US, are doing respectably. Most have gotten up off the couch and moved out of their parents' basements and are doing something productive. Whether the majority will arrive at retirement ready to pay their own way, we shall see. They are the first generation where the majority do not have pensions and they are expected to almost completely shoulder, save, and invest for their own retirement years.

It's the youngest I can't figure out, they really are up against a wall.
Concur...

When I was in my mid-20's, my dad was talking about what his planned retirement income would be in a couple years when he pulled the plug. He said he would have his state pension, a small federal pension because he had 10 years vested with the feds before he left and went to work for the state, a 401k income, Social Security, and a small pension from the NFL because he played for them for a couple seasons before he had to leave and join the Navy or the Army would have drafted him for Korea.

I remember thinking, "That's 5 income streams. I need to figure out how to make that happen, too." And I pretty much got it accomplished. We have 2 state pensions, a Navy pension, and 2 Social Security pensions. I was a long and busy 30 years, but it was worth it.

My wife's son was born at the end of 1979, so he is a wobbler between Gen X and Millennial. He and his wife have done quite well for themselves financially. He is some type of supervising electrician for the Palo Verde Power Station in AZ and his wife is a professional photographer. Nice place out of town, pool, shop, photo studio, that kind of thing. Most of his friends, younger and older, are likewise financially secure.

You are correct regarding the next younger generation, though.

I remember thinking, "That's 5 income streams. I need to figure out how to make that happen, too." And I pretty much got it accomplished. We have 2 state pensions, a Navy pension, and 2 Social Security pensions. I was a long and busy 30 years, but it was worth it.
We have 6 retirement incomes. Four are mine and my wife only has SS and we have to take money from investments since I turned 73. My wife jokes that if I die before her she’s going to prop me in the corner. Took us 36 years.

My income now is double what it was before I retired 5 years ago. It was hard work getting here. Working harder than anyone else to advance my salary and retirement savings. Out of the original department of twelve I was the only one remaining and worked alone my last 20 years. On call 24/7 and traveling for business one week a month for 40 years coast to coast and 3 foreign countries. Even worked 363 12-18 hour days each year in the 2 years before Y2K (none of the programs failed). All that work lost my first wife after 17 years but the 2nd one of 30 years so far was smart enough to appreciate my hard work.

All that hard work now makes it even harder talking myself into spending all the extra income I have now. Old habits die hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom