G'Day (Hi) and How Long is my TT ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozcamper

I registered as a new member after reading your forum over several weeks. I just wanted to say G'Day (Hi in Ausssie lingo). Self and wife Lyn pull a 22' Australian built TT with an 04 Grand Cherokee.?

When looking at TTs in 2005 we found that dealers each seemed to have a different way of measuring the TT. Some quoted the interior length, some the exterior length of the TT body. I guess you could also measure the length including the A Frame. How do you guys measure a TT. In Sep 05 we took delivery of a new TT (we call then Caravans in Australia) which has the following dimensions:

Interior length: 21'6"
Interior length including front storage trunk: 22'9"
Exterior length of body 23'3"
total length (not sure but think the A Frame is about 4' long.
Weight (empty about 4800# or 2200KG)

G'day Jim and Mara. Glad to have you here.

Your question made me curious about the specified dimensions of trailers. I looked up one manufacturer's specs and confirmed they use use some interior dimensions and some exterior. But, in this case, they didn't state the dimensions of the A-frame.

BTW trailers are also called "caravans" in our native UK.

The RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) standardized the length measurement for US Rvs a few years ago but I don't know the details and can't seem to find it published anywhere.  Supposedly all US RV manufacturers use the same measurement technique now, so buyers can compare lengths in a meaningful way.  I do know that it does not include the A-frame on a travel trailer/caravan, but am not sure if it is measured inside or outside.

G'day to you Tim & Lyn,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  glad you found us.  I am not sure but I believe the trailer length is measured from the rear most point, excluding required safety items like tail lights, to the forward most point which includes the A frame and hitch.  I do know that when I once licensed a home built utility trailer they measured it that way before they would issue a title and license.

Interior length: 21'6"
Interior length including front storage trunk: 22'9"
Exterior length of body 23'3"
total length (not sure but think the A Frame is about 4' long.
Weight (empty about 4800# or 2200KG)

We would call that a 23-foot trailer.  The measurement is taken from the back exterior wall to the foremost projection of the front wall, not including the A-frame rounded down to the nearest foot.*  If you are talking about the size of site, the overall length including the A-frame would be about 25 feet.

*DMV regs, State of Oregon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom