generator alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haganaw1

I have a 2000 Beaver Patriot / cold here in Oregon. Started the generator & after a few minutes an alarm began sounding....immediately turned off the generator & had an unusual odor in cabin. Any wisdom on the possibilities. This old beaver is a beauty with low miles...have not had long & concerned.
Thx

Welcome to the RV Forum haganaw1

Could you describe the smell?

an alarm began sounding

What was the alarm? Was it on the ceiling, on the floor, on the baseboard, part of the instrument panel, or?? ??

The first thing that comes to mind is exhaust fumes, perhaps from the wind coming from a direction that blows it into the cabin. If it's not exhaust, you need to look in the generator compartment to see if there are some clues that something might be getting too hot. Some Beavers have a slide mechanism to let the generator be extended out from the coach to facilitate maintenance access, so that might be easy to check.

Have you run the generator before? Was it OK? If not, perhaps something shorted or damaged on the generator itself, not just the engine.

BTW, if it IS exhaust, a Genturi might be the answer, to pipe the exhaust up high.

If the coach has been in storage for a while, check the exhaust of the generator for blockage.  Snow or maybe a field mouse nest?

It sounds like it might be the LP gas detector or the smoke detector

Yea, I bet that's what it is. My diesel generator exhausts out the side just below the driver's seat. We use the generator sometimes when driving to run the roof A/Cs. A couple of times, when the wind was just right, the smoke alarm lights up. That baby is right behind my head. Pretty unnerving.
jor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom