Generator for new TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carin

Just bought a 2018 Crossroads Sunset Trail. It has a 15,000 btu A/C in it.
What type and brand of generator should I buy?

Thank you!!

I don't have a specific recommendation for a gen set, but you should read the A/C's manual.  It should tell you how many amps or watts the unit pulls when starting up.  That amount will be a lot greater than the amount needed once it is running. That's a given for any device that's got an electric motor in it.  Then look for a gen set which can handle that starting load, and any other running loads you will have, such as battery charging, lighting, etc.

You'll be glad to spend more bucks up front for one of the quiet running Hondas or equivalent.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Unfortunately, that question is like asking which is the best oil to use in my car/truck/whatever, so I'll break it down a bit for you and I'm sure others will follow with more advice.

For camping situations, the very first rule is...........Sshhh!  Quiet please!  There is almost nothing that will make you well known in any campground that allows generator use than using a LOUD generator....and I don't mean well known in a good way.

Second rule, buy something that is portable enough for you to be able to transport/move it without giving yourself back troubles or a hernia.  This isn't always easy to do because you will most likely need somewhere around a 2500 Watt generator for the A/C unit.  Too small of a generator will not start the compressor of the A/C unit. 

Third Rule.....buy the very best quality that you can afford.  Honda and Yamaha are the two premier brands that will probably last you a lifetime, unless you are maybe 20 years old.....and then it's still possible.  There are lots and lots of Chinese branded generators out there, and my advice is to stay as far away from them as you can.  I went through 3 of them over about a 4 year period of time. 

There are basically two types of generators out the....Contractor grade and Inverter type.  The inverter types are usually more expensive, but the are generally speaking....a LOT quieter.  I have a 6300 Watt Yamaha that you can stand within 10' of and talk.......that won't happen with a contractor grade genny.  Expect to shell out some money for a quality Inverter generator, but look at it more as an investment.  If you quit camping in 10 years and don't need the genny any longer, you can probably sell it for 60 to 70% of what you paid for it, if it is maintained properly and is in good condition.  I'll let some others have some time now.  Good luck with your search.

I use the Honda EU2000 and parallel it with the EU2000 companion. Easy to carry and if not using air you can just use one. I think the newest ones are 2200 Watts.

Everyone will have a different answer based on what you are going to use the generator for. For me if I am staying in a campground I will have full hookups and not be running a generator. I just purchased a Champion 4500 from Camping World for $319 free shipping. Granted it is noiser than a Honda or Yamaha but not by that much and only cost 1/4 0f the price of them. I will be using my generator when boondocking and when pulling over to rest and eat while traveling. The generator weight 100 lbs and will be mounted on the back of the fifth wheel on a cargo carrier. It will be plugged in and ready to used once started so no lifting. For me cost and the output were my determining factor. You just need to decide your needs and how much you want to spend.

Chances are that a 15k btu a/c will not be able to start reliably on a 2000 watt genset, even with nothing else running. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely.  A 2400 watt unit is a better bet and 3000 watt is needed to be sure it will work each & every time the compressor cycles on. A 3000W Honda (EU3000i) or Yamaha is an excellent choice, but they are fairly heavy to tote around.

Many people choose the option to pair two 2000W gensets, so they can run just one when the a/c is not needed. Each of the 2000W units is easily luggable.  Gensets have to be designed to be run in parallel, i.e. have power synchronization logic, so only certain models can be used in this fashion.

You want an inverter-type generator. This type is variable speed and can throttle back when loads are light, making them quieter on average.  The cheap "contractor generators" run at a fixed speed and have a high noise factor, both exhaust noise and engine vibration (called NVH).

I've tried shutting down everything else in my TT and my Honda EU2000i is not capable of running my 15,000BTU AC.  We had a trailer for a while with a 13,500 BTU unit that it would pull but it was on the edge.

You really need a 3000 or a pair of 2000i's to run a rooftop A/C
Fact
My original 13,500 Carrier Air V's drew 13.5 amps running
My new Advent Air 15,000 upper unit.. Same 13.5 amps

My Coleman is 13.9

So the size does not always matter.

I have a pair of champion 2000w inverter generators. They are very quiet and weigh about 50 pounds each. they are designed to stack together and can be hooked together to almost double the output. They will run my 15000 btu ac. but will struggle starting the AC  if the fridge is not on gas and the batteries are hitting the convertor heavily.

We are new to TT as well and just bought our first one. We opted to go with the Ai generators from costco, we bought 2.  They were half the price of the Honda's and have a Yamaha motor. We figured we would give them a try since Costco has an excellent return policy.  They also came with the parallel cable so you don't have to purchase that separately. We have not used them camping yet, but have started them up, so we know they work well when we are up camping.

These are typically 'construction' or 'open frame' style generators and will be noisy as they always run at about 3600 RPM regardless of load. They will probably work fine for you in the wilderness if you don't mind the noise, but any neighbours won't like it a bit!!!

To avoid noise problems, you need an 'inverter' type of generator. Their claim to fame is that they only run as fast as required by the load. (Like Honda's, Yamaha's and several other brands

We have a pair of 2000W inverter generators that we parallel.  Brand is Firman.  They are nearly as quiet as Honda.  Note that you will lose some power at elevation.  I can't remember what the percent is per 1000 feet, but the rating of the generators is at sea level.  We live at 5000' and camp above that, so we do notice the loss in power.

Back
Top Bottom