Generator fuel leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Got a pin hole leak in the rubber fuel line to the generator, right before it connects to the generator. It is dripping on the ground, and if I manipulate the hose, it will spray out a bit through the pin hole.

I'm not home. At Liberty Harbor RV Park on a weekend so not sure about a mobile guy. But...

Rubber hose. Can I just patch this thing? Maybe cut the line, clamp new piece on there? There's an Autozone a mile away I can visit later.

Help a guy with limited mechanical skills here. This RV is throwing its little punch list at me on this trip.

The best thing to do would be to replace the entire line, because at 14, it may be starting to show signs of age. 2nd best would be to cut out the section that's leaking and splice in a new section. Most car parts stores sell fuel line repair kits. They're not hard to install, as long as you can get to the damaged section. In my opinion, wrapping (patching) the hole would be the last option.

Kev 

Feeling a little deflated here. Tried to quickly fix the fuel line and I'm just not experienced enough at this type of thing. I cut off a couple inches at the end (where hole was) then went to put back on the generator. Each time, the process of slipping the hose on damages the interior wall of the hose and the leak just continues. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Replacing whole line is ideal, but looks like a job. It goes back, through couple holes in the frame, then is clamped onto some metal thing way up in there. Looks hard to reach.

As things sit, hose is crimped off and end clamped pointing up so gravity keeps fuel from flowing. Generator is inoperable. Even the damn crimp I bought doesn't fully stop flow so had to use vice grips on it.

Feel like this should be simple, but I'm kinda frustrated by it.

If you're not mechanically inclined I really would suggest you bite the bullet and call a moble repair, doesn't really sound too involved, I'd guess $150 labor plus parts including call out fee (this is a wild guess). You definitely don't want to run the genset with even the tiniest leak.

I would love to call somebody. Just playing hell getting anybody so far. Definitely won't run the genset. The fuel line is currently disconnected anyway, so it couldn't. Main issue is to properly secure it so it doesn't leak while driving if I end up having to move onto our next campground without it being repaired. I'm currently at Liberty Harbor RV Park and supposed to leave Monday morning.

Gas hoses will rot from the inside out. Like Kevin said, the rest of the hose is as old as the end where the leak is. With it disintegrating in your hands, it's time for a complete replacement.

More than likely it uses the type of clamp you have to squeeze to get off. (ugh) I replace those with screw on type when I can. You have to get a pair of pliers on the clamp and move it down the hose so it's not crimping the hose on the metal tube. This trick requires hand strength and dexterity. Nasty job in tight places.

If you try this yourself, think about using the old hose and some duct tape to pull the new hose through the holes.

Actually, it uses a screw clamp at both ends. The metal loop that tightens around the hose.

My issues (other than potentially having a hard time snaking that hose where it needs to be) are:

(1) How to get the end of the hose onto the generator nozzle without damaging it. It could be that the reason I'm having this issue is the age of the current hose, and perhaps a new hose won't do it.

(2) Am I going to have an issue with spewing gas if I remove the hose from the tank side? Right now, the hose has a small vacuum on it and it just keeps draining unless I raise the end and let gravity plug it for me. But, if I completely remove the hose, will the tank be leaking gas?

I'm inclined to have somebody do it. I hear horror stories of people needing to drop the fuel tank to do it, which I hope isn't the case. I have the W22 chassis, if that says anything. I can see both ends of the fuel line, but that doesn't make it easy to reach. If I end up having somebody do it, I will need to crimp off and store the fuel line while traveling... because this campground I'm in now probably isn't going to be of much help. Will likely need to have it addressed down the road some.

You will probably have to get the fuel tank below 1/4 full so there is none coming out of the generator fuel line.

Yeah... replacing the line with more than 1/4 fuel in the tank will require swapping out the hose on that end really fast, and still get you soaked with fuel.

And to think I topped off maybe 100 miles or so ago.  :-\ Which means, if anybody else is going to do this, I need to burn off some gas, huh? That would put me another 250-300 miles down the road. May end up having to do this down the road. If so, I would imagine it should be safe to just seal off the leaky hose and point the end upward and simply drive that way.

If using the screw type clamps,  use a nut driver,  not a screw driver to remove and replace them. A 1/4" drive ratchet with the proper socket can be a help in some areas. And yes, the new hose will slip onto the barbs a lot better than the rotten used hose.

You should be able to get a plug at the parts store to seal.with a hose clamp. Go to the parts store with the piece of the hose you cut off for the correct size. Tell them what you are trying to.do.and they will.fix you up. You may have to cut it back farther to get to a better part of the hose. The fuel pump pulls the fuel to the generator so it is just gravity that is coming out of the line. Be gentle when putting the plug in the line and maybe lube it with a little wd40 before putting it in. Push straight and twist gentle so your not tearing it up inside. Easy does it you got this...

It can be a pain to replace the whole line I had to drop the tank on my old F53 chassis. If you can see both ends and reach the tank end it's not hard to thread the line through the frame to the generator.  Zip ties are your friend.. :)

Go the sporting goods store and buy a golf Tee. Then you can put the tee into the opening on the rubber gas line and use the clamp to hold it in place till you use up some of the fuel. Make sure to elevate the line after putting the tee in it till you can get it repaired

You may be able to get inline filter lube one end of filter and push in old line . Then take a short piece of new hose and go between filter and generator.

UPDATE:

Ended up getting a hose coupler and some new line at Autozone. Cut the original line maybe 8 inches back from the generator, spliced the new line on there with the coupler and a couple of clamps. And, other end of the new section onto the fuel pump at the generator. No leaks - seems OK. I haven't yet tried to start the generator to see if it holds up to use, but at least the leak is handled.

I will have the whole fuel line replaced when I get back to Florida and can have my guy do it when we're not traveling.

Good job. As long as there's no (or very little) strain on the old fuel line, it'll likely hold just fine until you get somewhere to get the whole line replaced.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom