Generator life spans. Is 500 hrs high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambling Rose

Need general guidance on generator hours.  I don't know the model (yet).  Sorry.  Considering a 2007 Coachmen Freelander.  Is 500 hours high?  What's "normal" life expectancy?  Odometer is 63,000. 

Thank you kindly! 

500 hours is just moderate, or maybe low, depending on your standards. Those generators are made to run for several days at a time without stopping (I've done it), and they're just getting warmed up.

A typical light aircraft engine is rated to be overhauled around 1800-2000 hours of operation, which usually takes several years. These generators will generally (if properly maintained) go rather longer than that. That 2000 hours is roughly the equivalent of 120,000 miles at 60 mph, and the 500 hours is just ? that, or 30,000 miles.

Hope this helps...

For our 5th wheel that would have been high because it would have only run when boondocking, but on a motorhome they run a lot down the highway to run the AC.  I think mine already has 160 hrs.

My former truck shop has service trucks with Onan Marquis 7KW gas generators on board. Several of them are approaching 15,000 hours without a major overhaul.

Assuming it's a 10 year old rig, that's only about 50 hours a year or less than 5 hours a month. Sounds about normal to me unless the PO never boondocked.

I agree about average for the age, the generator in my 2002 motorhome had 750 hours on it when I bought last year.  If this is a micro-lite micro-quiet 4000 they are Onan's entry level RV generator, they do ok as long as you change the oil regularly (every 100 hours of run time) and always check the oil before running as they don't have a low oil cut off switch and only holds 1.6 quarts and has no oil filter.  If you get 2,000-2,500 hours out of one of these consider yourself lucky, If you have an Onan marqis gold 5.5KW you can expect more.

I have been chewed out by many long-term RVers (especially my cousin) for NOT running my generator enough!  I average only about 50 hours a year and been told I need to run it at least once a month for several hours, or even more often for several hours.  I have only 250 hours on it and have been told it will run better if I run it more often.  I do get the oil changed once a year, at least.

I "boondock" at race tracks, and I average about 500 hrs per year.  Onan should run several thousand hours without issue. Just follow the service intervals they recommend and you should be fine.

Judy, the two big things are to run them often enough to keep the slip rings from oxidizing and to keep the carburetors from gumming up, half an hour per month or so is plenty to do this.

Well it all depends on what model generator it is. If it is a micro-lite don't expect to get over 1500 hours before overhaul. If it is an emerald or marquis gold, then you will get considerable more hours out of them. My buddy has the micro-lite in his MH and it was wore out at 1800 hrs. He bought another one that was newer, from a guy that had 1500 hrs and it needed overhauled too. He did the over haul and it still cost him about $800. Parts for onans are high, the new head was almost $400 by itself. He couldn't find the valve guides for sale anywhere so he bought the new head, but by the time you replace the valves and guides and have the machine work done on the head, buying new isn't that much more. I can buy a set of pistons for a small block chevy for what just the one piston cost for the onan.

500 hours is barely broken in..
If it were a car,,, that would be about 2,500 miles (figure 50 mph)  Time for the 1st Oil change

But for a generator .. Well a couple oil changes down the road.

John From Detroit said:
500 hours is barely broken in..
If it were a car,,, that would be about 2,500 miles (figure 50 mph)  Time for the 1st Oil change

But for a generator .. Well a couple oil changes down the road.

John, I think you dropped a decimal place. Your figures work out to 25,000 miles.

800 hours on mine, I change the Mobil 1 oil once a year. I also make sure the gen runs at least an hour each month.

Isaac-1 said:
Judy, the two big things are to run them often enough to keep the slip rings from oxidizing and to keep the carburetors from gumming up, half an hour per month or so is plenty to do this.

We are looking at a rig with an Onan generator which will serve as the plan B to solar.  Doing a little research on Onan, I read in Onan literature, they recommend exercising the generator once month for 2-hours by running the air conditioner.

Was this a diesel or gasoline generator, the 2 hour with load recommendation makes sense for diesel, particularly water cooled diesels as they are prone to wet stacking when operated at light load levels. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom