Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRickey

I have a 4kw Onan. I noticed when I have it running and put a load on it (AC, micro, hairdryer) it doesn't increase in RPM.  You can tell it has a load on it but it pretty much keeps the same RPM.  I have had it down and I serviced it with plugs and things and have messed with the adjustment for the mechanism to sense the load but it still seems to not change.  Is this normal?  The outlet shows 110 with and without a load.  thanks

Your generator must always run at the same RPMs. It has a govener that maintains the RPMs. That's what controls the frequencty--60 Hertz-- of the power. You shouldn't hear any change in speed, however when you put a load on it, such as starting an air conitionor, it will sound as if it is working harder to maintain the same speed. If the speed does drop, expect a circut braker to trip  or the gererator to shut down.

Chet18013

JRickey:

Onan manufacturers two styles of generator. The earlier gassers operate as Chet describes while the diesels produce dc power and use an inverter to make AC. With these gen sets the rpm is used to increase amperage as needed.

Back
Top Bottom