Generator running while traveling down the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in the Yes crowd, as needed. I have read that a rule of thumb is about 1/2 gallon of gas per hour.

As others have said, we run the generator as needed on the road, primarily when the two A/C's are needed. Other times, we just run the inverter to power the fridge and my wife's medical equipment.

I have read that a rule of thumb is about 1/2 gallon of gas per hour.
Fuel consumption depends on the electrical load. A typical 5000 watt RV gasoline generator will consume 0.5-0.6 gal/hour while producing about 2500 watts of power. Lower watt demand uses less fuel; more watts means more fuel. 2500 watts will run two roof a/c units non stop with enough leftover to run an RV fridge.
A diesel generator uses a bit less less fuel, about 0.4 gal/hr to produce 2500 watts.

I have read that a rule of thumb is about 1/2 gallon of gas per hour.
Thats a good "rule of thumb" figure. I have used ours to run the roof air a lot and we used to run the generator as we left for a lake on a Friday afternoon to supply a crockpot that would be cooking dinner while sitting in the sink on the way there. It is very difficult to pin down an exact figure, even if you are sitting still. I once used ours while parked for a long weekend for nearly 80 continuous hours in hot weather and 2 roof air conditioners were in use. Other than that we did use lights some and TV even less. I filled the 75-gallon tank just before parking and then filled it again as we pulled out to head home. It took a little more than 33 gallons to fill the tank.

Yes I run the genset, for various reasons. The fuel used is a toss-up, my MH averages 7 MPG, the Onan 7.5 genset uses .6G/hr at half-load. You do the math.
As to safety, every appliances that comes with an RV is designed to function properly while driving; (if properly maintained)

As to safety, every appliances that comes with an RV is designed to function properly while driving; (if properly maintained)
In general what you say is true, but the microwave in my Ventana has only a magnetic latch for the door, and we've had to remove the glass dish in it for travel. So there are some exceptions.

And I'd be reluctant to run a gas stove while driving...

In general what you say is true, but the microwave in my Ventana has only a magnetic latch for the door, and we've had to remove the glass dish in it for travel. So there are some exceptions.

And I'd be reluctant to run a gas stove while driving...
It depends on the coach mfgr. Our LP stove is recessed into the countertop about 3", nothing can slide off. DW uses our MW to reheat her coffee while I'm driving, and the glass turntable in any of our RV's has never caused a problem,nor has the door ever opened without a human pulling on the handle. DW stores the bread and buns in the MW when driving so the turntable is held down and cushioned.
Perhaps the difference between a DP and gas chassis suspension???

Add my vote to the “YES” group.

I would add my own question to this. It would be, ”Why not?” If it’s 80+ outside, the dash AC has no hope of cooling the entire coach. We run the gennorator and the AC as needed for comfort.

Do you run your Generator while traveling down the road for a/c and refrigerator.
Lots of replies with lots of conditions, caveats, and whatever.

In our 43' bus, it's totally dependent on what it takes for us to be comfortable - I'm not going to be concerned about "fuel consumtion".

If the outside temps are such that the dash AC is sufficient, as they often are, that's what we use.

If the dash AC can't keep up, we start the generator and use as many of the 3 ACs as it takes for comfort.

Kinda lucking out as to the weather, have lots of inside projects at home, resurfacing some walls, painting, etc. Hoping for a couple cooler days in the 90’s to get back outside, starting to get ‘cabin fever’.
Wifey wants to go ‘antique shopping but it’s just too hot, some our favorite haunts are not air conditioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom