Generator useage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardo

I'm about to buy a 2000W generator (either Honda or Yamaha) and have a question. Do I just plug the trailer power cord to the generator and let her rip or do I need anything else? Will use to mainly to charge two group 24 batteries and a few small appliances. I assume just plugging in to the trailer power cord and let the trailer converter charge the batteries is the most efficient? or use a battery charger directly to the batteries? As you can tell, I'm not very electrically knowledgeable.

Generally you will need an adapter.. If you get an Honda EU 2000i get the Companion model.. I do not know if you need an adapter but LOOK at the 30 amp outelt, if it is a twist lock you need an adapter. if it is a TT-30 you do not.

Have used our Honda 2000 to power our trailer, and motorhome many times.  You will need a 30amp to 15amp adapter (dog bone).  You can not plug the 30 amp cord into the Honda.  Don't know about Yamaha. 

edwardo said:
Will use to mainly to charge two group 24 batteries and a few small appliances. I assume just plugging in to the trailer power cord and let the trailer converter charge the batteries is the most efficient? or use a battery charger directly to the batteries?
I think is question is not how to hookup to his TT but the best way to quickly charge his batteries. In MHO I would use a good 110 battery charger plugged into the generator and hooked directly to the battery bank as that seems to charge my batteries much faster than through the inverter. I have a combo charger with a quick charge mode as well as normal and trickle.
Joe

If the generator has an L14-30 twist lock plug on it, there are many adapters on the market to mate with a TT-30 plug.

martin2340 said:
I think is question is not how to hookup to his TT but the best way to quickly charge his batteries. In MHO I would use a good 110 battery charger plugged into the generator and hooked directly to the battery bank as that seems to charge my batteries much faster than through the inverter. I have a combo charger with a quick charge mode as well as normal and trickle.
Joe

This was indeed my question.  Thanks.  What model charger do you use?

http://www.harborfreight.com/240200-amp-612v-manual-wheel-charger-with-start-63038.html
This similar although not the exact model. I bought mine many years ago.

If your RV has a 3 stage converter your best option is to plug your shore power cord into the generator. If your converter is a single stage, upgrade to a 3 stage unit.

The 12 volt outlet on the generator is good for like a 12 volt trouble light, not much good at battery charging, the converter is far batter.  So just plug in and enjoy the benefits of roughly 1750 watts of electricity while your batteries charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom