Geocaching-We just can't wait!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing our family is getting excited about (besides full timing itself) is Geocaching!  This is surely something the kids will likely jump into with out much pushing from us! Modern treasure hunting!  And it also hits their 'collectors' button.  We are even thinking of designing our own coins and such- wow, that is going to be so much fun!

I have only been on a geocache trip once but it is obvious from the  friends who took me on the hunt that it is addictive.  The communication from all parts of the world seems to be a good geography lesson for those involved as well.  Keep us posted on your huntrs.

Betty

We love it too!! The kids say that it is pirate treasure.  I can't wait to get on the rd and do waymarking too!!! My 5 year old is able to follow maps now.  He will hold the GPS and watch every turn I make and he can navigate us to where he wants to go down at Disney with his Disney map.  Amazing what kids will learn so fast. 

We have been geocaching for almost 4 years now. I am looking forward to caching while camping.
Often the caches are located at places locals know about but aren't advertized.
It is a familly activity for all ages.
Wife and I have found over 500 of them and yes it is addictive. You will never look at things the same once you know there may be a treasure hidden right there....
Check out the website
geocaching.com

Great hobby...  Go Garmin  ;D

golddigger14s said:
Geocaching and RVing seems to be a perfect match for each other!

They certainly are! With over 500,000 caches hidden worldwide there are always some very close to where you travel. Some are in urban areas for those that want an "easy" access and there are some in areas that require special skills and equipment to reach and everything in between. Just choose your level of difficulty and off you go. It is great fun and a learning experience for people of all ages and backgrounds. It will lead you to areas you would never know existed or just put off visiting until "later". With an initial investment of $100 or less for a simple handheld GPS unit you can be off and running. Of course like anything else you can spend a bit more for better gear and more features.

If this sounds good to you, check out Geocaching.com for details. Just do a search in your area and I am sure you will be amazed at the number of caches located in places that you frequent. I heard about this on television just before Christmas and tried it out and was immediately hooked.

Use the Advanced search link above to search on geocaching and read about a few geocaching trips organized in conjunction with forum rallies. Not many, but hopefully it will become a more prevalent event at rallies.

Do you know that many of the topics you're replying to are over 2 years old?

Suzy and I have been caching since 2004. We took a trip to many of the state parks in Kansas two years ago, and found a lot of caches. We've seen parts of the country we would have never seen if not for caching.

Ned said:
Do you know that many of the topics you're replying to are over 2 years old?
Great for me as some of these more interesting threads show up in the new postings page.

Of course now I've insulted all those who participated on those non reactivated boring threads.  :)

Geocaching additive?  Wow we've been caching now a little over 3 yrs. Have cached. In 37 States +DC, 2 Canadian provinces, ever county in Fl.almost all in Ga. Plus several challenges. Just got back from a 8000 mile trip that the whole purpose was Geocaching. Yes Geocaching is additive and we love, in fact right now we're trying to finish up the counties and State Parks in Ga. Hope to meet up with more campers who Geocache. We cache as carrolla&MissAnne

I have waymarked several places in our community but have not actually done a geocaching event or activity...
I have GPS units for the MH, for the toad, and an Iphone with apps ... but wondering.. reccommendations on what would be a good  / adequate GPS unit that gives the accuracy needed?

Please ignore my post from a few minutes ago on this thread...
I just noticed the next thread has exactly the information I was interested in...

Back
Top Bottom