Getting Around The Credit Card Max. Limit On Fuel Fill-ups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See here.

"What’s Behind Pre-Authorization Holds When You Fill Your Tank?"

But I don't fully agree with it. It doesn't even try to explain why different CCs can have a different limit at the same gas station.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I dont recall ever seeing a "hold" charge on any credit card I have used. Maybe by time I check online to see if I was charged correctly, the "hold" has been withdrawn.

See here.

"What’s Behind Pre-Authorization Holds When You Fill Your Tank?"

But I don't fully agree with it. It doesn't even try to explain why different CCs can have a different limit at the same gas station.

-Don- Auburn, CA
My understanding is that is because the limit is set by the credit card processing company, not the credit card company, nor the fueling station, and different credit cards may have different processing companies.

Each time I plan a trip of any sizable length,, I visit my credit union ( In person ) and advise them of my trip time enroute..and destination,, This is to raise the limit of fuel purchase only to the amount I want..My tank is 125 gallons of diesel.. A purchase of 100 to 120 gallons can be 5 to 6 hundred dollars today,, but will take me the better part of 1200 miles also.. It is convenient to be able to fill with out having to "plug in" several times.. Check with your card issuer to see if you can do the same ( In years past I would get a phone call while pumping,(after a "hold" ) from my credit union to verify the charge.. The system I use now is better and reduces the trips to and from the pump..>>>

I use the credit union card exclusively for all our vehicular needs,, tires ,gas, diesel,, brakes car washes, or parts.. all else is on a bank card for ease of record keeping..>>>

Last edited:
I just recently had a situation where I was only able to use the card at the pump twice and the third swipe was refused. It's happened a few times before with a different card.

I just recently had a situation where I was only able to use the card at the pump twice and the third swipe was refused. It's happened a few times before with a different card.
We have had that issue in the past, so we have two different cars we use for fueling. Swipe the first one twice, if needed, and them swipe the second card if needed for a third swipe.

I just pumped over $300 by walking in and over paying, I pumped about 1/2 of what I prepaid.... Hopefully the rest will wind up back on the card. Thanks for all of the suggestions all....
Butch

We have had that issue in the past, so we have two different cars we use for fueling. Swipe the first one twice, if needed, and them swipe the second card if needed for a third swipe.
We've run into that, too- another card is the answer. We've also had good luck talking to the fraud folks at the card company and letting them know we're on a trip with a huge fuel tank.

My understanding is that is because the limit is set by the credit card processing company, not the credit card company, nor the fueling station, and different credit cards may have different processing companies.
Yep, I also think that is how it works.

-Don- Reno, NV

I just pumped over $300 by walking in and over paying, I pumped about 1/2 of what I prepaid.... Hopefully the rest will wind up back on the card. Thanks for all of the suggestions all....
Butch
If you used a credit card, for a couple of days you will see the "$300.00" as pending online. But that will go away a day or two later with the correct amount in its place, when no longer "pending".

So you have nothing to worry about, unless something goes wrong somewhere.

You could also see it as a double charge, if you do, again don't worry, just wait another day or two.

-Don- Reno, NV

The reason gas stations have a low limit is that when thieves steal or clone a credit card, they first try using it at a gas station to see if it works. They are outside and nobody is there to challenge them if there is a problem.

That has been my experience for the past 10 years or longer.
Now DW goes inside tells the fuel desk what pump to authorize, then waits/shops until I've filled, then gets in line to pay with CC.

Someone else asked; yes when I use my Good Sam card it removes the 2X card limit at the PFJ RV pumps.
PFJ has eliminated their PFJ RV card.

That has been my experience for the past 10 years or longer.
Now DW goes inside tells the fuel desk what pump to authorize, then waits/shops until I've filled, then gets in line to pay with CC.

Someone else asked; yes when I use my Good Sam card it removes the 2X card limit at the PFJ RV pumps.
PFJ has eliminated their PFJ RV card.
I've noticed the same thing when using my GS Swipe & Save card at PFJ's. Paying with my PenFed VISA card also raises the pump limit to $345 at many PFJ's, eliminating the need to reswipe. Combining the GS 5 cent/gallon discount with the PenFed 5% cash rebate really adds up over time as well.

PFJ has an app now and offer occasional rewards through that app, at the pump. Like right now they are running a seasonal thing and .10 off/gal. I use my GS Visa for another 5%. Still have not seen a limit of over $175 anywhere.
And, at home, the local Sunoco stations have a one swipe/day and a 100$ limit at any of their pumps/stations. Now, that's a PIA for 80 gal.

I've noticed with my company card that if I use the "tap to pay" option it raises the limit on the card. With the same card, if I put it in the reader, it maxes out at $150. I was at a station the other day where the reader was messed up, so I used the tap function (usually forget it's there). I was filling a couple of cans and my truck and the pump went all the way to $185. Same card I always use, at the same gas station.

The real problem comes when you are out of town. (Like 400 miles out of town) and your Bank flags the transaction as "Suspuscious" you get the first card full and then "Transaction declined"
For some reason the phone did not alert me.. I figured it ouit the next am and 2-level verified.
Now that has come in handy because that was a genuine alert from my bank.. I got SMS. E-MAIL and as I recall missed a phone call.
I've also had SCAM alerts... One of the above. never 2.. that's RED FLAG #1 it's a scam. There are more flags.. all RED RED the color of the enemy since... before we had an enemy to have a color of.

PFJ has an app now and offer occasional rewards through that app, at the pump. Like right now they are running a seasonal thing and .10 off/gal. I use my GS Visa for another 5%. Still have not seen a limit of over $175 anywhere.
And, at home, the local Sunoco stations have a one swipe/day and a 100$ limit at any of their pumps/stations. Now, that's a PIA for 80 gal.
If you ask the station they say. Sometimes you don't even need to ask as they SIGN.
"The credit card company sets a limit.
Go down the road to the same brand next station.. Different if any limit.
Someone is lying.
Of course not al pay... A pair of my troopers made a single traffic stop one day. Best daily they ever turned in by the time they were done
Non Licensed operator
Allowing Unlicensed operator
Warrant arrest (Not the first time the passenger had allowed)
Recovered stolen car (no they were not the thieves)
Fuguitive arrest for a young lady who came in and announced her name and wanted her car back
(She failed to pay for gas. got charged with Defrauding an Inkeeper.. that's actually a Constitutional crime)
Turns out the car was not stolen so False police report (The young lady's old lady/mother)
And obtainning money (insurance settlement) under false pretenses (Insurance fraud)
Yup one good daily.. One traffic stop. Oh. My fault I might add.. I did my job a bit different. and it was that deference that did most of the above. 8 hours later or earlier. they would only have gotten the pointer file to the young lady's warrant and there being no females in the car not even stopped it. But it was on my shift so one good daily.

Last edited:
On our trips down to México (in the US only), I’ve been asked to have my card physically held by the attendant. It’s happened a number of times, and the attendant always seems so nonchalant about it, so I have done it. It’s always worked out, but still a little unnerving.

But what if it's the hold from the CC company?

-Don- Auburn, CA
The CC company doesn't actually hold the money. Any gas station that tells you that is so full of crap that it's coming out their ears. If you want proof of that, go to Kwik trip or Speedway and fill up. The hold is removed pretty much instantly even for pay at the pump transactions because Kwik Trip and SpeedWay both finalize the transactions relatively quick. The hold at other gas stations sticks around because the general manager is the only one who can release it (or the corporate office) and they only finalize transactions once a week or possibly every other week if Holiday is any example...

Let me clarify - the CC company does hold the money, but only because they're waiting for the gas station to finalize the transaction. As soon as the gas station does that (which can literally be within minutes of the transaction) the hold is released. Holiday (who I keep bashing because of bitter experiences with this when I had almost no money) literally takes so long to finalize the transaction that the bank will release the funds thinking the transaction wasn't completed. 4 or 5 days later the transaction will pop back on when Holiday finally gets around to pushing "enter" on their POS system.

Prepaying inside is one way to get around this (by limiting the money they are holding) if you have to fill at one of the crappy gas stations that have god awful internal practices like Holiday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom