GFI Outlet Buzzing, What's Up With This??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foto-n-T

Yesterday afternoon while sitting outside I noticed that my outside light timer that controls the wifes accent lights in the yard was off.  Having had this issue before when it rains I pretty much figured that the GFI in the bathroom had tripped, the problem is that it hadn't been raining or even humid.  I went in the house and reset the GFI in the bathroom and all was fine, right up until 05:44 this morning.  That's when we both were woke up by a loud "BUZZING" noise coming from the GFI outlet.  I got up and hit the test button on the GFI and the buzzing stopped, of course this also meant that I had killed every outlet that is daisy chained to it down stream.  Being mostly asleep and my brain wasn't engaged fully I then hit the reset button on the GFI, the buzzing returned.  This time when I went to hit the test button nothing happened, I couldn't get the thing to trip no matter how many times I hit the test button so out to the living area I went to throw the breaker which stopped the buzzing.

Unfortunately I have to go back to work this morning so chasing parts isn't gonna happen in a real hurry, in the meantime the coffee maker is in the garage along with the electric toothbrush and if we want a fan in the bedroom it's going to be at the end of an extension cord.  This is a new one to me, I've never had a GFI of any sort fail other than through constant overload and this thing just doesn't take a lot of abuse.  Does anybody have any clue as to what happened here?

Oh I've had 'em fail before believe me, but it's usually after repeated abuse like inadvertantly trying to run my molding table off of one in the circuit.  I've NEVER heard one BUZZ like that before.  I guess I can add that to my list of learning.

I stopped home for lunch and pulled the outlet.  My wife is going to town with the neighbor this afternoon so I put it on her "Honey Do....Please" list.  From all outward appearances it looks like a regular residential GFI outlet so hopefully she'll be able to find one at Sutherlands or a hardware store.  It would be nice to not have to go out into the garage to make coffee in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom