Glow plugs Damon Daybreak 96

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frances.de.koumba

Hello, which type of glow plugs would I need for Damon Daybreak 96, Diesel engine? The one’s I have are faulty so the engine won’t start.

I can't answer directly, and you don't say which engine you have, but I'd go to the engine manufacturer, or at least the maintenance manual, for whatever make you have, perhaps Cummins or Caterpillar? They should have the definitive answer.

Need to identify the engine and then find compatible glow plugs. The most popular small diesel of that era was the Cummins 5.9L 12 valve engine, but others are possible.

If the chassis is an Oshkosh, they were absorbed by Freightliner Custom Chassis and are still supported by them, so they could identify the engine model & serial from your chassis VIN. However, FCC would likely refer you to the engine manufacturer for specific engine parts.

If the engine is a 5.9 Cummins,, no "glow plugs" are used in that engine,, so none needed.. The 5.9 used an intake "heater" to warm the incoming air for starting,, BUT,, in actual practice the system is NOT needed.. It will start fine without the heater system.. The starting batteries will have to be up to par to spin the engine adequately for good starts..>>>Dan

Last edited:
Depending on the outside temperature,, your engine should start,( or at least try to) without the glow plugs working,, it is not reasonable to assume that all the plugs are not working.. More than likely if you are getting no response while spinning the engine with the starter, you are probably not getting FUEL to the cylinders,, this is particularly important if the vehicle has been sitting for a long period with out being run.. If the engine is turbocharged,, DO NOT USE ETHER FOR STARTING..
Warm the engine as needed then try again..>>>Dan

Last edited:
DO NOT USE EITHER FOR STARTING
There's an extra 'I' there Dan. I wouldn't say anything except that when I read it I tried to figure out "either of what," before I realized that you meant ether. And I totally agree that ether is generally a bad choice, but especially with the turbos.

I didn't catch that,,,fixed.>>>D ( It's always disappointing to me to see an owner that does not know what he has,, doesn't separate the engine,, transmission,, chassis,, and all the other parts that make up the whole as individual manufactured pieces by individual companies.. They seem to think that any of the parts can be had from the "badge" company, and that thinking can cost a lot of money.. I recently needed a hydraulic pump for my coach,, the chassis co. wanted $850.50 for it.. With some searching,, I found the pump manufacturer ( Vickers) and bought it new delivered to my door for $180.00,, Installed it and back in business.)

Last edited:
It appears from looking at the Daybreak brochure dated 6/95 that it was built on either a Ford (f53) chassis or a GM chassis (P30) The brochure does not list diesels, just the 7.4L/454 (GM) and the 7.5L/460 (ford) gasoline engines. Could it possibly be on a GM chassis with the 6.5L diesel?

Some JD Power info lists models 2960, 3130, 3150, and 3480 as being "front diesel" models. Most likely this is the 6.5L GM V8 diesel also used in the military Humvee.

EDIT: it does appear that the 6.2/6.5L GM diesel has glow plugs and a controller

6.5 Diesel Glow Plugs | GM 6.5 Glow Plug Kit | Accurate Diesel
65kit.jpg

Charles

Last edited:
It appears from looking at the Daybreak brochure dated 6/95 that it was built on either a Ford (f53) chassis or a GM chassis (P30) The brochure does not list diesels, just the 7.4L/454 (GM) and the 7.5L/460 (ford) gasoline engines. Could it possibly be on a GM chassis with the 6.5L diesel?

Some JD Power info lists models 2960, 3130, 3150, and 3480 as being "front diesel" models. Most likely this is the 6.5L GM V8 diesel also used in the military Humvee.

EDIT: it does appear that the 6.2/6.5L GM diesel has glow plugs and a controller

6.5 Diesel Glow Plugs | GM 6.5 Glow Plug Kit | Accurate Diesel
65kit.jpg

Charles
It is Chevy chassis, and 6.5 diesel GM. So I’m guessing that’s the set I need?

See because every time I ran the engine before I pressed this, what I understand is, glow plug button. I held it for about 15sec and then start the engine. But now the dashboard doesn’t light with the glow plug symbol so my assumption is that it is indeed glow plug. Is that right?

That is correct,,, but,, the battery bank must be "healthy" enough to handle all the draw down when cold.. How well does' it crank when spinning over??.. You can also double cycle the glow plug heating process before starting to make sure they are hot enough for starting.. It could also be that the plugs are not getting power to them..
If NONE of the plugs are getting hot then you have a disconnect some where in the system,, it is not logical that all the plugs are bad at the same time..>>>Dan

Last edited:
The kit shown also has the control relay. It is more likely that the relay is not functioning. You should be able to hear it click when you press the button. Most likely you can find the relay by itself, I just turned up this kit searching Google. My very sparse diesel experience is limited to my one Cummins 5.9L CRD and the Mercedes OM647 5 cyl CRD diesel used in early Sprinters.

Charles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom