GM trucks in the hilly West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N Smock

Here is the question for GM truck owners, think I know the answer.

With the steep downhill grades in the west, is the tow/haul mode adequate for a 10,000 lb load or should I consider the addition of a Banks exhaust brake? Any experience with a Banks good or bad?

Thanks
Nelson

If you are considering a diesel the IMHO an exhaust brake is a must have.  Gas engines have the throttle plate that provides air flow restriction in the engine  when closed so an exhaust brake is not necessary.

With my gas powered buggy the Exhaust brake is a no-no, however if yours is Diesle, I'd suggest it,  Tow/Haul mode does improve engine breaking, but Diesels don't do that well

I do know my motor home made it up and down some rather steep hills in the west, Including more than one where we worried about making the top......... Only once did I have to drive the towed seperated

Engine braking along (Remember gas engine) was not enough going down many of the hills.  An nice steady pressure on the brakes was needed to assist  Even in "Grade Brake" Mode (Which is the same as tow/haul on your rig)

Ron said:
If you are considering a diesel the IMHO an exhaust brake is a must have. Gas engines have the throttle plate that provides air flow restriction in the engine when closed so an exhaust brake is not necessary.

Ron

I forgot to add that I was talking about a diesel. You kinda confirmed my thoughts anyway.

Nelson

Back
Top Bottom