GM will stop building vehicles with tailpipes in 13 years and 11 months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to wonder where all the electrons for that are going to come from.

We better have fusion energy by 2035 or we'll be sitting in the dark most of the time.

I call BS, Claims are made all the time because its politically correct. But the poster only posts on ev stuff nothing real only speculative ev crap -:just trying to ruffle feathers the op's record  speaks for itself

steveblonde said:
I call BS, Claims are made all the time because its politically correct. But the poster only posts on ev stuff nothing real only speculative ev crap -:just trying to ruffle feathers

I?m the original poster. I post on things I find interesting like RV?s and EV?s and how they interact. If you don?t like my posts just ignore them.

I simply provided a link to an announcement by General Motors. If you don?t like their message send them an email. Or contact CNBC business news and tell you think their story is BS

Don?t shoot the messenger dude. All this is going to affect how some of us RV in the next couple of decades. If you are not interested than find a topic that interests you and move on. Or get in touch with the forum moderators and tell them they should make a new rule that no new technologies are to be discussed and only approved topics like toilet paper and black tank issues should be discussed.

Just sayin.

Cheers.

I find it curious to watch.  When there's literally millions of something that can be sold, no matter what it is, seemingly impractical things or even difficult problems can be mitigated with sufficient application of money.  With EV's there are a lot of things at play from technology to infrastructure, political and also cultural.  The generation of equating social status or identity with their automobiles - "american muscle" I think is fading away with the baby boomers and it's transitioning to whizbang and techno.  Show a kid today a lumbering, heavy 60's "hotrod" and a Tesla, and my bet is the kid would want the Tesla.  Heck *I* would want the Tesla, it kicks the ass of most anything made in the last 50 years. What car sold today doesn't come with a host of network connected gadgets, telematics, memory seats and ambient lighting?  At that point, what difference does it make what the motive force is to the wheels?  It's my guess the vast majority of car owners haven't done anything under the hood of their cars for decades now or could even find the oil filter if they had to, nor do they care.  Cars are transportation appliances now complete with a touch screen, whether they run on stored hydrocarbons or electrons is secondary.  The industry wouldn't be making a sea change such as this unless there was something in it for them especially when you consider the inertia of an industry based on a century old concept.  Time's they are a changin', whether some of the specific predictions come true or not remains to be seen but no doubt things will not be like they are today even just 10 years from now. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

More Left propaganda, I was suspect as soon as I saw the source.  ;D ;D ;D

"GM?s announcement comes a day after President Joe Biden signed a series of executive orders that prioritize climate change across all levels of government and put the U.S. on track to curb planet-warming carbon emissions.

Shares of GM increased as much as 7.4% during intraday trading Thursday morning to $53 a share. As of midday Thursday, shares were up about 4%. GM has a market cap of about $73 billion."

SpencerPJ said:
More Left propaganda, I was suspect as soon as I saw the source.  ;D ;D ;D

"GM?s announcement comes a day after President Joe Biden signed a series of executive orders that prioritize climate change across all levels of government and put the U.S. on track to curb planet-warming carbon emissions.

Shares of GM increased as much as 7.4% during intraday trading Thursday morning to $53 a share. As of midday Thursday, shares were up about 4%. GM has a market cap of about $73 billion."

Well, the source is General Motors. Feel free to google it. It will will show up in every publication in every language 

One can ascribe whatever political motivation you desire to the news story, but GMC's public announcement remains the same: exclusively electric vehicles by 2035.  Of course, any such announcement is merely a goal and subject to future modification.  Political correctness only goes so far; GMC is a business and at the end of the day is going to build what people will buy.

As I mentioned in my other post politics is a part of it, and not a small one.  Emissions and fuel economy are legislated, which is a huge driver in vehicle design and production.  So when the guv'mint makes a move and there's a company that's positioned to accommodate it, the market will respond.  The writing was and is on the wall for a long time and while part of it is speculation just what and how, it's not a coincidence nor propaganda.  Whether any of it is good for the consumer, the economy, the country or the world is a separate debate.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The Executive Order to move the federal gov't's own huge fleet to all-electric is significant because it causes a large and immediate expansion of the electric vehicle sales market.  That's about 650k vehicles that will get replaced over the next several years. Plus the accompanying demand & uilization for charging infrastructure.

There are very few, if any, things in this life that we are required to do or buy or have or whatever. If you don?t want an EV, don?t buy one. If you don?t want to read about EV?s, don?t read about them. EV?s are not a conspiracy propagated by far left wing zealots designed to stop folks from enjoying their gas guzzling, smoke belching behemoths. Every time somebody posts about EV?s there are those that have to trash the technology and now the trashing the OP.

Transportation currently uses about 25% of the total energy used in the US.  Electricity, mostly generated by burning coal or natural gas, supplies 22% of our energy.  To eliminate petroleum from transportation will require a doubling of the current electrical generating and distribution capacity.  In other words, taking everything we've invested in power generation and distribution over the past 100+ years and doing it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_the_United_States

I haven't seen any discussion of this, and having to build additional electrical generating and distribution capacity to cover expanded electric vehicle consumption seems like a very high price to pay just to shift the point of power generation from individual vehicles to a central power plant.

And what happens when lightning takes out a pole,, with the centralized grid of today thousands won't be going to work in the morning..>>>Dan ( Another concern is the chance of an enemy taking out a central part of the grid and attack. No food,, lights,, car,, heat,,phones,,water,,making everything dependent on the a grid as easily to take out as ours is plain stupid..)

Utclmjmpr said:
And what happens when lightning takes out a pole,, with the centralized grid of today thousands won't be going to work in the morning..>>>Dan ( Another concern is the chance of an enemy taking out a central part of the grid and attack. No food,, lights,, car,, heat,,phones,,water,,making everything dependent on the a grid as easily to take out as ours is plain stupid..)

I?m not sure I follow. We have been an EV only family for 5 years. We have had power outages here. They have never affected my ability to get to work. I could go back and forth to work for a week without recharging and I had a 50 km return commute. Even commuter cars have 250 km ranges and most are 400 km or more. Ours is over 500 km.

And somebody hitting a poll wouldn?t take out a city. Maybe a neighbourhood. If you are low on charge just drive to a local fast charger. They are not really meant for that but they would work in a pinch. Anyway, in five years of commuting it has never been a problem, and we get weather caused power outages here.

John and Angela said:
I?m not sure I follow. We have been an EV only family for 5 years. We have had power outages here. They have never affected my ability to get to work. I could go back and forth to work for a week without recharging and I had a 50 km return commute. Even commuter cars have 250 km ranges and most are 400 km or more. Ours is over 500 km.

And somebody hitting a poll wouldn?t take out a city. Maybe a neighbourhood. If you are low on charge just drive to a local fast charger. They are not really meant for that but they would work in a pinch. Anyway, in five years of commuting it has never been a problem, and we get weather caused power outages here.
Also, when power is out in an area, all the gas stations are closed too.

I also live in Auburn, CA and a couple of years ago, PG&E was turning off the juice for days at a time, for "fire safety". All the gas stations were closed. The first one to be open was fifty  miles east at Cisco Grove, CA on I-80.  Long line of trucks and cars down the freeway, waiting for the gas / diesel pumps.  EVs then could just drive up to the open charge stations in the same area and get a full charge in a lot less time than the gas station wait.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Lou Schneider said:
Transportation currently uses about 25% of the total energy used in the US.  Electricity, mostly generated by burning coal or natural gas, supplies 22% of our energy.  To eliminate petroleum from transportation will require a doubling of the current electrical generating and distribution capacity.  In other words, taking everything we've invested in power generation and distribution over the past 100+ years and doing it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_the_United_States

I haven't seen any discussion of this, and having to build additional electrical generating and distribution capacity to cover expanded electric vehicle consumption seems like a very high price to pay just to shift the point of power generation from individual vehicles to a central power plant.
Considering most people drive less than 40 miles per day and EVs usually do  their charging after midnight when other usage is very low, it just isn't the big problem that many pretend it is.

-Don- Reno, NV

Thank You Lou, glad someone still gets it  :))

PS:  I think this discussion belongs elsewhere besides Towing and towables, like the shade tree, where nonsense is allowed.  ::)

The only thing that stops me from buying an electrical vehicle is the ability to drive long distances.  If it were easy to recharge the battery in the amount of time it takes to refill my gas tank, I would be all in.  I'm sure they will get there, just not yet. On a trip I generally drive about 700 miles a day with one fill up along the way.

Lowell said:
The only thing that stops me from buying an electrical vehicle is the ability to drive long distances.  If it were easy to recharge the battery in the amount of time it takes to refill my gas tank, I would be all in.  I'm sure they will get there, just not yet. On a trip I generally drive about 700 miles a day with one fill up along the way.

Do you eat lunch or stop for pee or coffee breaks?  The longest I have ever stopped at a Supercharger is 20 minutes, usually determined by how long it takes me to eat lunch.  Just a matter of combining tasks.  Nice thing about EV charging.  Hook up and walk away. 

Lowell said:
If I were to drive 700 miles, I would only consider my Tesla out of my many vehicles, unless my RV would do. Superchargers are always at good places to stop with restaurants and such. And no way will I do 700 miles without a few breaks.

A buddy of mine here in Reno  travels to [font=DDG_ProximaNova]Pennsylvania[/font][font=DDG_ProximaNova] [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]about twice a year in his Tesla, to visit family who lives there. He says he can safely drive half asleep with auto-pilot and cover more miles in a day than he every could in the same trip in an ICE vehicle. BTW, do any ICE vehicles have auto-pilot?[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]-Don-  Reno, NV[/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom