GM will stop building vehicles with tailpipes in 13 years and 11 months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geeze guys. Give it a break!  If you don't want an EV, don't get one.  There is no need to pick on those that do.  We could do the same thing Ford versus Ram versus Chevy.

Oldgator73 said:
John and Angela have already debunked most of what your saying. Try to keep up.  8)
They are debunking using their own claims which do not match real world testing which I'm posting links to.

Lowell said:
Geeze guys. Give it a break!  If you don't want an EV, don't get one.  There is no need to pick on those that do.  We could do the same thing Ford versus Ram versus Chevy.

Personally I went the alternative route and went Hybrid.  I can depend on the new hybrid technology with the smaller battery that now provides an extended range over the road. 

I'm going to miss big V8's, diesels. This is the world I know and love, and it's going away. It leaves me feeling ambivalent about the future of automotive enthusiasm. It doesn't mean I can't or won't adapt, but the hobby will be very different - it already is. For me, it's less about embracing the future, and more about wondering, and finding out where my enthusiasm will fit in.

This recent pivot by GM has my hopes up, though. Between the new GMC Hummer EV and GM's new interest in the medium-duty market, they are starting to fill the gap I've felt for the last 3+ decades in EV offerings. Small cars don't do anything for me and I want nothing to do with the pre-loaded earth-muffin identity they come with. But highly capable trucks, gobs of power, or an ERV platform so someone can build the next electric Earth Roamer? Sign me the hell up! The EV technology, manufacturing, and interest is already here. The EV tide isn't just starting to rise; we're already waist-deep. The Hummer is indicative of future vehicles that will potentially liberate enthusiasts like myself. At least, it's how I see myself starting to engage with the automotive future that is already here.

Don't get me wrong - I won't be buying an EV until I have to. I'm not into Hummer as a brand or nameplate, in fact, it brings back memories of the early 2000's when GM was selling badge-engineered trucks with plastic chrome and fake leather, by the pound. Regrettable. But if this means Chevrolet might pick up the platform and sell it as a cheaper model, badged as an Avalanche, or...please, GM...an honest K5-like Blazer for the new world..I won't be mad.

I would welcome a 1 ton hybrid diesel pickup. I am surprised that with the smaller diesels now in light trucks and cars, and all the hybrid tech along with EV tech, that it didn?t happen. Mileage in stop & go traffic would be great, the electric could boost the pull power when needed and the smaller diesel would do fine at low demand driving. With 30 gal tanks, miles per tank would be impressive.

Jayflight said:
And I paraphrase,,
What was that about putting single use stuff in the tailpipe and blowing it out into the atmosphere? Shame on you... ;D :p  You should be the first one here to post a photo of a TT hanging off the back end of your EV instead of depending on fossil fuels to tow an EV. I always find it a hoot that the ones pushing for everything electric still do not give up their private luxury airplanes. By the way has your province or whatever you call your part of the world placed a surcharge on your registration to make up for the lack of support in gasoline tax for your roads that you drive  on?

You may have me confused with someone else.  I think the petro chemical industry is great.  Big supporter.  Lots of products get made as result of the petro chemical industry.  Plus it is still presently an important fuel source. I heat my house with it. 

I am glad to see that we as a society are developing technologies that allow us to burn less of it.  Bit of a waste of an important resource.  Plus it affects air quality. 

Cheers. 

John and Angela said:
You may have me confused with someone else.  I think the petro chemical industry is great.  Big supporter.  Lots of products get made as result of the petro chemical industry.  Plus it is still presently an important fuel source. I heat my house with it. 

I am glad to see that we as a society are developing technologies that allow us to burn less of it.  Bit of a waste of an important resource.  Plus it affects air quality. 

Cheers.

Nope,

Re: GM will stop building vehicles with tailpipes in 13 years and 11 months. 

? Reply #98 on: January 31, 2021, 08:04:28 PM ?

Quote from: Lynx0849 on January 31, 2021, 07:56:21 PM

Also, note that we are talking about new vehicles. The several hundred million existing ones will still need gas stations, service etc.
Just cause GM stops selling ICE lightweight vehicles doesn?t mean the end of fossil fuels.

Heck, think about how many 20 year old RVs are on the road. Ok, how about 50 year old cars?
Your reply
IMHO Fossil fuel will be around for many decades, but in ever decreasing usage. However the petrochemical industry will continue to thrive. Lots of great products are made as a result of the petrochemical industry. We as a society just need to stop burning it in a one time usage in our tanks. The transition will take decades...in my opinion.

TheBar said:
Lets keep the discussion honest. At 70 mph with the heater set to 72 degrees and outside temp at 38 degrees the Tesla 3 range drops to 173 miles.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31739529/how-much-does-climate-control-affect-ev-range/

Well, its always best to look at the most recent technology when making assessments.  The article was written on mar 2 of last year.  Unlike ICE technology, things change fast in EV's.  So since that time the range of a model 3 is roughly 10 percent more.  So just over 350 miles EPA.  Plus, as the article states, the Tesla in the story is using a resistance heater and is not equipped with the new Octo valve that scavenges heat from the battery.  This lessens cold weather loss to about half of what it was in the test car. 

And don't forget, EPA says gas vehicle lose about 12 percent of their range in winter as well. 

I wouldn't presently recommend an EV for someone who lives in northern Alberta like we used to. Our grand Cherokee served us quite well up there and still would today.  Great vehicle.  But who knows.  Technology changes fast.

So yah.  Lets keep it real.  We have no problem in the winter with ours.  I have no motive to mislead anyone and could care less if someone disagrees with GM's plan to stop building ICE vehicles in 13 years and 11 months. That is between GM and them. 

But this is a forum where people exchange and share experiences.  I am sharing mine, as well as my enthusiasm for the RV and EV lifestyle and how they interact..  There are others on here who are considering an EV.  Hopefully this info from a user will be helpful. 

Below is a pic of wifeys EV and the environment it lives in....every day. 

Cheers. 

Attachments

• 50772046262_35e5ed79e3_c.jpg
    50772046262_35e5ed79e3_c.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 11
Jayflight said:
Nope,
Your reply

uhhh, yah  Thats pretty much what I said both times.  Lets work towards not dumping this valuable resource in our tanks...and then burning it.  Once and gone.  Besides, its hard on air quality. 

To each his own. 

Cheers. 

John and Angela said:
Petroleum is refined via distillation where the components are separated by their relative density and you have to use the resulting products or throw them away.  You can't just get the parts of the crude oil that are used in making plastics and other petrochemical processes without also getting products like gasoline, diesel, fuel oil and asphalt tar (the remnants after the lighter elements are boiled off).

You can boost production of the lighter products (gasoline, diesel, heating oil, etc.) by re-distilling the heavier components into lighter ones.  But you can't make lighter products into heavier products.  Reducing the amount of crude oil we process by reducing or eliminating gasoline as a viable fuel will likely lead to shortages of the other products used in the petrochemical industry.  There is no free lunch.

Lou Schneider said:
Petroleum is refined via distillation where the components are separated by their relative density and you have to use the resulting products or throw them away.  You can't just get the parts of the crude oil that are used in making plastics and other petrochemical processes without also getting products like gasoline, diesel, fuel oil and asphalt tar (the remnants after the lighter elements are boiled off).

You can boost production of the lighter products (gasoline, diesel, heating oil, etc.) by re-distilling the heavier components into lighter ones.  But you can't make lighter products into heavier products.  Reducing the amount of crude oil we process by reducing or eliminating gasoline consumption will likely lead to shortages of the heavier products used in the petrochemical industry.  There is no free lunch.

Yah, I had read that somewhere.  I know nothing about this kind of stuff.  But i'm sure technology will find an answer...other than burning it off of course.  I sure we can do better than that.  They'll have to, because people are not going to be putting it into their tanks in 20 years, mostly because not to many new vehicles will have a tank to put it in.  Right now there are about 5000 new vehicles hitting the road everyday with out a gas tank, or an oil sump.  And in about 3 or 5 years that number will double...and then double again. 

I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

Cheers. 

Cheers. 

TheBar said:
Lets keep the discussion honest. At 70 mph with the heater set to 72 degrees and outside temp at 38 degrees the Tesla 3 range drops to 173 miles.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31739529/how-much-does-climate-control-affect-ev-range/
Last week, I came over Donnor Summit when it was below 20F. I only used the seat heaters and that was warm enough for me. But I could have used the main heater if I wanted since it's only 99.0 miles from my house in Auburn, CA to here. The seat heaters use a lot less juice than the Tesla main heater.  I have yet to be in a situation where I have even needed the main heater or needed the range where I could not turn it on anyway.

I cannot even imagine somebody wanting to use  the Tesla Model 3 seat heaters as well as the main heater at an outside temp of 38F as in your article.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Skookum said:
I'm going to miss big V8's, diesels. This is the world I know and love, and it's going away.
There's a place for gearheads with EV's.  Back in the day we built them in our garages with old forklift motors and golf cart batteries but today you get purpose built AC drives and awesome battery packs.  You can turn just about any car into an EV and have a lot of fun doing it, like Johnny Cash's Rolls"

https://electrek.co/2020/08/06/tesla-powertrain-turns-johnny-cash-rolls-royce-unique-ev/
https://jalopnik.com/what-is-the-electric-version-of-the-ls-swap-1839791140

Or old school DC hotrod  https://www.designnews.com/drag-racing-goes-electric-1

The only thing missing is the smell of fuel, but plenty of smoke - from the tires.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Lowell said:

I have an RV, two cars, back up generator, motorcycle, lawn mower, leaf blower, snow blower... these assets are paid off and all run on gas. I'm getting old and don't want to buy new everything from China or buy my gas from Russia.

Over 11,000 people lost their jobs yesterday in the petroleum industry. Most of them are married and have children.

When you say give it a break I assume it didn't effect you, your spouse, your children or family members. Good for you.

And another point, it takes a lot of energy to create and dispose of a battery and they are created by fossil fuels.

Please see attached.

Attachments

• US Primary Energy Consumption by Energy Source 2019.png
    US Primary Energy Consumption by Energy Source 2019.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 7
Tom55555 said:
I'm getting old and don't want to buy new everything from China or buy my gas from Russia.

O

The USA is the worlds largest exporter of natural gas and oil.  We don't need to buy any from Russia.

Tom55555 said:
And another point, it takes a lot of energy to create and dispose of a battery and they are created by fossil fuels.
Yes, but take into consideration that these EV batteries often last the life of the vehicle, unlike the lead acids that get replaced every few years in ICE vehicles.

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom said:
Yes, but take into consideration that these EV batteries often last the life of the vehicle, unlike the lead acids that get replaced every few years in ICE vehicles.

Maybe, but consider EV batteries are much, much larger than an ICE starting battery and lead acid batteries are simple to recycle (basically grind them up and float the pieces in successive water baths to separate out the heavy lead from the plastic and other lighter parts).  Recycling lithium batteries is much more complex and there are already places that have more discarded EV batteries than they can recycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stark Fire
Back
Top Bottom