Gnats! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrose26

I’m not sure if I’m even in the right thread so I apologize if I’m not but we need help! We bought a brand new fifth wheel two months ago and for the last month we’ve had a pretty severe gnat issue. Killed probably 80 in one day and then 8-10 each day since we first started noticing them. We’ve been treating all the drains, first with vinegar/ baking soda and now actual drain gnat killer. I’ll also add that our gnat trap that’s electric is catching several different types of gnats. They are not sewer flies with the moth wings. We never find them around the drains or in the sinks and the drains are always closed unless we shower or do the dishes. We’re starting to wonder if they might be coming through the air vents via AC unit on roof. Is this even possible?? We’re so lost on what to do and would appreciate any input! Thank you!

There are more than one type of gnats, but the most common come from fruit. SO, put all fruit away.

Here is something I have done in the past. Take a short, squat glass and add about 1/2" of cider vinegar in the bottom of it. Then, carefully add one drop of liquid dish detergent, like Dawn. No need to stir. Then put it on your kitchen counter and leave it overnight. With a little luck, the critters will be attracted to the scent of the vinegar, crawl down the sides, and drown. Replace it every couple of days or whenever you get tired of seeing dead bodies in it.

If this does not work, you have a different type of gnat. In that case, try capturing a couple and take them into a garden center.

Home Defense is pretty good and once dry non toxic to humans and pets. Not tried in gnats but we had elm seed bugs and it got rid of those.

If you have a cooperative extension near you call and ask what can be done, they might want you to bring a sample in. I think they are attracted to damp areas so I would look at the ac units in case the drains are plugged enough to keep condensation from draining completely. Check every for moisture. It's always worth a look.

Sounds like they are just breeding like crazy. I wonder if those spray bombs you buy at any hardware store would kill them all along with any eggs. You may need to set off a couple of bombs.
I just looked on line and the fogger bomb made by Hot Shot will kill gnats. Home Depot sells it and so does Walmart and Lowe’s. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are just breeding like crazy. I wonder if those spray bombs you buy at any hardware store would kill them all along with any eggs. You may need to set off a couple of bombs.
I just looked on line and the fogger bomb made by Hot Shot will kill gnats. Home Depot sells it and so does Walmart and Lowe’s. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Yep, spray bombs released at the right times will kill all of them, it requires multiple releases..
"Adults gnats live for at least 7 to 10 days. So the female breeds and lays upto 300 eggs which hatch within 4 to 6 days. Once the gnats hatch, the larvae feed on the food present in their environment. Then the larvae mature and enter the pupae stage, and finally, it turns into adult gnats within 12 to 14 days. So this means gnats reproduce quickly."
source: Life Cycle of Gnats

The gnat family includes fungus gnats, fruit flies, and drain flies. We had a horrible infestation of fruit flies. Couldn't figure out where they were coming from until we found a dented and open can on the bottom row in a case of cat food. There was no damage like it had been dropped showing on the cardboard case. But fruit flies seem to love canned cat food which was the last thing I would have suspected.

The gnat family includes fungus gnats, fruit flies, and drain flies. We had a horrible infestation of fruit flies. Couldn't figure out where they were coming from until we found a dented and open can on the bottom row in a case of cat food. There was no damage like it had been dropped showing on the cardboard case. But fruit flies seem to love canned cat food which was the last thing I would have suspected.
Facts we don't need to know; fruit flies were the first living thing sent into space, in 1948. They are still used for research today.

Getting concerned the OP hasn't gotten back to us, I wondering how bad the gnat problem is and did they evolve......

Last Thursday, i spent one incredible miserable night in Eastern Denver. Basically killed a few moths before i went to bed, but could not get to sleep until 2 am. Woke up at 4 am and spent next hour and a half electrocuting about 200 moths--not exaggerating. Even hit my bathroom with Raid and closed door and got about 40 bodies that way, but of course then I had to wash the walls and floor and sink, etc. Packed up and was out of there headed east to where moths had hatched but had left for the joys of Denver. (Per newspaper.) Drove an incredible 383 miles to get to WIlson Lake in Kansas.

On my driving day, I killed about 50 more and another 60 the next night. However, I had stopped at a hardware storeand got two small night-light size Safer Home Indoor Fly Trap. Amazing! The one in the kitchen was catching moths right and left. Bathroom one OK, but not as effective.

Last night (Sunday night) I killed only maybe 5 moths, and two this morning, so things are improving. Today, the kitchen trap has two moths and a collection of a bunch of smaller insects.

Anyway, the little lights are ultraviolet and have a sticky pad by the light. So when the sticky pad gets full, you have to pull it out and replace it. The light comes with two pads, so buy the packet of extra ones. You should also keep other lights turned off, if you can.

Anyway, this is one product that really works, at least with moths and a lot of other flying insects, so I thought I would share my experiences. https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Brand-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Welcome to the club. We've been dealing with those Miller moths for the last month+ as happens every few years. They're getting fewer now, but there are still a lot around. Even yesterday when I opened my shed to get the mower out, an army of moths flew out the door again.

We get a few every years, but thankfully it's several years between the major infestations like this.

Back
Top Bottom