Good News, positive Stuff...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulb4333

:DMaybe I am the only one looking for good news, positive stuff...but I hope not.

It's easy to speak about problems and issues, and it's often quite necessary.

The purpose of this post is to see how many positive posts we can get, and how long the thread runs on it's own.

Please add your great story relating to Rv'ing here....

Great people you've met, nice things you've seen, things you've done.

I'd love to get a message each day with an uplifiting story....

Whaddya think?

Great post Paul, thanks. We've had numerous great RVing events and met lots of great RVers, many from this forum. A number of those events/meetings are documented here in the forum &/or in the forum library. We've not met a forum member who's company we didn't enjoy.

A number of forum members have taken time out to visit our home, and we've usually tried to introduce them to other RVing friends during their stay here. We've also visited the homes &/or place of abode of many forum members, and always came away with the feeling of a rich experience. Most of these visits (them to us, or us to them) have also been documented here.

To help kick this off ...

We were camped on the lake shore at Lake Havaseu, at the invitation of forum members Ned and Lorna. I wasn't totally happy about camping on soft dirt that passes for "sand" there, but we were with friends.

As we were preparing to leave, the guy in a fifthwheel next to us came over and said "one of your jacks is not retracting". He also said "I've had this happen on a prior motorhome, and I have just thing in my pickup truck". He disappeared and returned with a 2x4 that he proceeded to use as a lever to give the jack a nudge. The jack retracted, and we were on our way, after thanking the guy of course.

I wish I knew the guy's name.

Several years ago we were traveling in the fifth wheel we owned at the time and experienced several days of rain in Minnesota campground. The lake overflowed and flooded our site with 2-3 inches of water. When it came time to leave, we got mired down in the muddy grass halfway to the road. Two other RVers quickly moved to help us and one brought a 4WD Suburban, layed down in the soggy grass and strapped a chain onto the truck's front axle. Soon pulled us out to the firmer ground of the camp road as the onlookers applauded.  He then brushed off our thanks and an attempt to give a monetary reward as well.

Just one example of the kind of folks we often meet while RVing.

Many years ago we were in our Lazy Daze Class C, I believe in West Virginia.  We were roaming the back roads in a rural area when we had an oil problem of some kind.  Stopped on the road that had no shoulder.  Soon a guy in a truck came along, gave us a quart of oil, and because it was late in the day invited us to come on down the road to his place.  He showed us a level place to park on his farm and we spent a delightful evening with him and his family.  Nice people - like so many others we've met in our travels both in the RV and while we were working.

ArdraF

I guess I consider just about all our RVing experiences good news (with the exception of our recent accident, of course). We've been to so many gorgeous locations and met so many wonderful people (many of whom hang our right here) that it is hard to know where to start. We met several of our very best friends while RVing too.

We're fortunate enough to be near-neighbors of the first folks we went RVing with, back in the mid 80's. We worked and played together, but lost track of each other when Chris and I went to work at other companies, and our friends went overseas for 10+ years. Several months ago, out of the blue, I answered the phone to our long-lost RVing friends.

By chance, after returning from Asia, they'd bought a house in our community, not knowing we lived here. While at their other home in AZ, they met up with a mutual friend and boss who now lives in the UK, and he mentioned where we lived. So, next time they were in town, our friends looked us up in the phone book. They've since met a number of forumites who have visited our home.

In my travels I have never met a bad person or had a bad experience.  I have not met anyone in person from this forum but am looking forward to meeting a lot of RV Forum members at Quartzite. (However another heart event and talk of surgery has me unable to commit at this time.)

I have met lots of folks along the way that were helpful to me.  Giving advice on what to see and where to eat, etc, has been really valuable to one such as myself who did not know my way around the town or area I was in.  I have sit at many a campfire with my camping neighbor, had beers with a few.  Good company, conversation and stories shared by all. 

I guess what I am trying to say is I do not believe you would meet as many people in normal circumstances as I have met among the RVing Community and never have a bad feeling when I came away.  RVers have always been friendly and helpful, where ever I went in the whole country.

In early June, 07, we went to Three Island Crossing State Park, in Idaho. We rented a "double" camping spot. It is room and hookups for two RVs, side by side. It gives us much more room, and is really easy to back into. As Disabled Vets, we get a campsite, free. We pay for the second - although, we could each get one free. (Doesn't feel right to take that kind of advantage.)

After going out to lunch, we returned to find that the whole park was over-run with Boy Scouts.  :eek: Being an old Eagle Scout, myself, we decided to grin and bear it. Probably wouldn't be too bad.

As we were getting out of the car, the head honcho approached us. Told us that this was their annual regional Camporee.  Said, if the Scouts were too noisey or misbehaved, to please come tell them. Also, he had two favors to ask.

He showed us a map of the camping areas and pointed out our area. Wow, I had no idea we had that much real estate! Our spaces were the width we thought, but about three times as deep. He asked if the scouts could pitch tents on the back end of our lot, about a third of it. I gave him the back two thirds, as we didn't need it. First favor down.

Second favor, He said he had noticed our placard from the Park Service that identified us as Disabled Vets - which must be displayed where attendants can see it, on the left front windshield. He asked if we would mind attending their opening ceremony and the presentation of the flag. We agreed to that. In the ceremony, the leader introduced us and asked us to tell what we wished about being in the service of our country. We each talked about two minutes. We were received well.  8)

For the next three days, we had a time. We got fed - seranaded - dog walking service - which both dogs and scouts seemed to enjoy.  ;D We could do little for ourselves! At the end of our stay, they helped me load the scooters in the car and helped me hook it up for towing. Very welcome assistance, as Dani was down with her back, and I was going to have to do that, alone. Instead, I supervised.  ;D

Best camping trip we had, that year.  ;D

Maybe I'll check, and see when the Camporee is, next spring!  :D ;)

Ray D  ;D

Great story Ray. We thank you and Dani for your service to our great country. We know that Dani has had a tough year.

Thanks, Tom. Dani is doing better. It is not all sorted out, yet, but the back surgery was successful.

She has had a couple of setbacks, (falls) but is improving in stability. They gave her a walker, but she is stubborn conte - - she doesn't like it!

She is on safer meds, and fewer of them. That is a big gain. They sent a nurse out, when we asked if she could go on an RV trip, for a few days. The inside of the MH was OK. The outside was OK. Getting between inside and outside was not OK. They finally said OK, in September. She fell and broke three toes and a bone her foot. So much for RVing, this year. Hope to go, early next year.

Ray D  ;D

At one of the first Life On Wheels conferences in Moscow, ID. we were parked at the local fairgrounds before the conference started and Arlyne & Dick Reeds wife Lue were standing under our awning watching a big storm cloud roll towards us. Suddenly the wind came up and that was when they realised they were standing under the awning. They hollered to me to come out and roll up the awning. By the time I came out they were no where in sight but I could hear them yelling something, so I went down the row of coachs and trailers and found them at the last trailer in the line, an Airstream. They were trying to figure out how to roll up the Zip Dee awning for the folks that were gone but had never seen one before. It was quite a sight to see these two ladies being lifted about two feet off the ground while hanging on to that awning. But Dick Reed and I managed to not laugh too load and grabbed the awning from them and managed to wrestle it to get it rolled up. By the time we had that one under control the girls had rolled the other three rigs awnings by themselves. When the owners of those rigs returned an hour or so later they were amazed on how their awnings managed to roll themselves up. I explained just who had done it for them and they couldn't believe that two women would do that for complete strangers. The girls just explained to them that we were all RVer's  and we take care of each other.  It was a great conference that year.

Jerry Ray

Ray D said:
In early June, 07, we went to Three Island Crossing State Park, in Idaho. We rented a "double" camping spot. It is room and hookups for two RVs, side by side. It gives us much more room, and is really easy to back into. As Disabled Vets, we get a campsite, free. We pay for the second - although, we could each get one free. (Doesn't feel right to take that kind of advantage.)

snip.......

Ray D  ;D

Fantastic story! And a great life lesson for the boy scouts as well. :)
Thanks for sharing

Paul

jerryarlyne said:
At one of the first Life On Wheels conferences in Moscow, ID. we were parked at the local fairgrounds before the conference started and Arlyne & Dick Reeds wife Lue were standing under our .......Snip>>>>>>>>>
. I explained just who had done it for them and they couldn't believe that two women would do that for complete strangers. The girls just explained to them that we were all RVer's  and we take care of each other.  It was a great conference that year.

Jerry Ray

Nice story...and I'll bet you saved them some real $$$ as well. Not just the awning but structural damage.

Best,

Paul

Dani is doing better. It is not all sorted out, yet, but the back surgery was successful.

RayD - Now that's what I call really GOOD NEWS!  Tell her hi for me.

ArdraF

I think fondly upon my memories of creating some mighty good laughs from all when I organized activites in which to participate at Forum rallies.  Coming to mind is Wally in his debut at Moab.  Coming to mind is the Jerry Fitzgerald and George Van Luchene version of YMCA when trying to open a laFUma loungeer.  Also recalling Jim Dick and his bagpipes.  I recall Jim Johnson and his S#*t show.er at the Red Hat Fashion  show in  Quartzsite.  I recall the white powder  from Lucy's funnel cakes during the 12 days of Quartzsite. 

Gosh this group really knows how to have fun.  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  I'll have to be thinking up some more activities. AndI"m always open to suggestions!

Betty

My wife and I went to Nashville Tennessee to attend a seminar on Multiple Sclerosis.  After we got set up, I was getting my wife's mobility scooter out of the back of the truck, so we could go check out the campground.  I got one ramp down, and the next thing I see is 2 young boys wanting to help, which they did. 

Now, here is "The Rest of the Story"  seems the mother of this family has Multiple Sclerosis, and they came over because they know how hard is is for their Dad to get their Mom's jazzy chair out. They saw that we had no kids to help us, so they thought they should come over and help the "older couple" ;D ;D :p ::) 

I always notice how RVers try to help out.  We stopped at a rest area, where there was a couple with kids stranded because they shut their motor home off, and it wouldn't start.  No dash lights, no nothing.  A person with a volt/olm meter traced the problem down to the maxi fuse, but nobody had one.  I just happen to wonder over, and asked if there was anything I could help with, and they guy said 'Ya, one of these", which I went to my tool box, got one, and returned.  Now this is what I think is neat about this.  4 other people, all on there way to places on vacation, ect, stopped to help one couple out. 

Grumpy said:
My wife and I went to Nashville Tennessee to attend a seminar on Multiple Sclerosis.  After we got set up, I was getting my wife's mobility scooter out of the back of the truck, so we could go check out the campground.  I got one ramp down, and the next thing I see is 2 young boys wanting to help, which they did. 

Now, here is "The Rest of the Story"  seems the mother of this family has Multiple Sclerosis, and they came over because they know how hard is is for their Dad to get their Mom's jazzy chair out. They saw that we had no kids to help us, so they thought they should come over and help the "older couple" ;D ;D :p ::) 

I always notice how RVers try to help out.  We stopped at a rest area, where there was a couple with kids stranded because they shut their motor home off, and it wouldn't start.  No dash lights, no nothing.  A person with a volt/olm meter traced the problem down to the maxi fuse, but nobody had one.  I just happen to wonder over, and asked if there was anything I could help with, and they guy said 'Ya, one of these", which I went to my tool box, got one, and returned.  Now this is what I think is neat about this.  4 other people, all on there way to places on vacation, ect, stopped to help one couple out. 

Great story! I always love to hear about good kids, doing the right thing. There are more good ones out there than bad...

Thanks Grumpy....

Back
Top Bottom