Goose neck v Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ribbit

We are buying a Keystone Impact 359. The dealer is installing a goose box on it. From my research, it seems that a fifth wheel hitch would be better than a goose neck. We have a 2021 Ram Longhorn 3500 with the deisel HO engine. Power not an issue. However, any recommendations on the goose neck v the fifth wheel hitch would be appreciated.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about this
You need to call Lippert and ask about YOUR 5ER and get the answer in writing. Putting a gooseneck on a 5er WILL VOID SOME WARRANTIES but not all. Its a grey area proceed with extreme caution and get it in writting from Lippert have your unit VIN handy when you call.

Biggest question i have is why? A gooseneck is really designed for AG equipment thats off road all the time thus why you see it on horse trailers bobcat and backhoe trailers etc. A fith wheel hitch is designed for a smoother trailer pull on pavement thus the reason you see it on tractor trailers . A gooseneck has no dampening where as a 5th wheel box articulates on rubber or similar type bushing.

There is a reason the unit came with a 5th wheel hitch not a gooseneck it may be as simple as cost but i doubt thats the case as manufacturers try to cut costs wherever they can. There is also a reason 99% of 5ers come with 5th wheels and not goosenecks.

Last edited:
When I was researching alternative hitches back in 2015, the Reese Goosebox was one of them. I do recall, as noted above, that Lippert approved it. As also mentioned above, though, due diligence is warranted and I would ask them directly. If you have a gooseneck ball in the truck already, the Goosebox is certainly an option. I also wonder why the dealer is installing it without your input, though.

Actually, Lippert supports the use of a Goosebox.
Where does your info come from?

I researched it when I was buying my trailer.
Well, since Lippert does not design the frames they build your making a huge assumption there. Now, if the end user has designed for a gooseneck, then all is good. If on the other hand they did not design in the extra supports necessary then that could become a recipe for disaster for the ultimate user.

It appears that the Reese goose box is Lippert approved, but I would get conformation. Advantages of this system is not having a 200# hitch taking up room in the truck bed. The Reese Goose Bos is an Air Ride system, so I would guess that it will work very well. I have discussed this with several people that are staying at the park where I am that have either the Goose Box or Gen Y hitches and they are very pleased with them.https://www.etrailer.com/question-580750.html#:~:text=Expert%20Reply%3A%20Currently%20the%20Reese%20Goose%20Box%20like%23,Lippert%27s%20approval%20to%20not%20void%20the%20frame%20warranty.

Most fifth wheel RV frames are not designed for the additional stresses a goose neck places on them.

Exactly.....if you study the engineering differences, they are not remotely similar!

That said, there is a type of gooseneck design that is designed as to minimize the additional leverage stress put on a 5th wheel by a typical goose neck assembly! Supposed to be a good system, but I have no experience with it! memtb

The issue of 5th wheel vs. gooseneck hitches is the position where it couples to the truck. If you have a gooseneck ball mounted flush with the pickup bed you have to modify the 5th wheel's hitch to reach down to it. This is the same as adding a length of pipe to a wrench to amplify the torque and break loose a stubborn nut - it increases the torque at the end of the arm.

In the case of a 5th wheel, the trailer frame is the nut you're trying to break loose. Unless it's designed to withstand that extra torque, guess what? It will break loose, usually at a weld. Devices like the Anderson hitch raise the hitch ball t to the same level as the 5th wheel hitch so they don't add leverage to the trailer frame.

At first you said "gooseBox", than later it became "gooseneck", there is a difference. The Reese Goosebox is okay by Lippert, but not the gooseneck adapter........

I'm using a Gen-Y gooseneck hitch pin box on my 31' toy hauler 9300 lbs pulling with a 2021 f350 power stroke rides very smooth no bucking

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom