GPS or map provided by campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent-newtoRVland

What is the general consensus on using a GPS or a map provided by the campground? Which do you prefer? I do realize that using the map provided will show me the proper entrance, however do you reference the map only to find the correct entrance? Thanks!

Get within 100 yards of your destination and wing it from there. Been navigating for decades before and after GPS and internet and never once contemplated or suffered any consequences of using a wrong entrance.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If the campground website or brochure provides a map or directions to a recommended entrance or approach road, I would use that entrance. Automotive-style GPS rarely consider the needs of a larger vehicle. Like Mark, I'd suggest using the GPS to get near the campground, but use other cues for the final mile.

Most of the time we use the directions provided by the campground for traveling those last few miles. More than once we have found them to be better than what the GPS suggested. Even an RV-GPS doesn't "know" if one exit off the interstate will be on an easier to drive road than another exit.

Directions from the campground; we also use Google satellite images and street-view to identify our approach in advance if we know it's going to be tight. Satellite images are also great for surveying RV park layouts ;)

GPS in a big rig can be downright scary and will get you in trouble in a real hurry. We have one, but it's in map-view most of the time (not giving directions) or providing a general ETA and live traffic alerts while we travel.

I always check the park website to see how their directions compare to the GPS directions for the final leg. It's not uncommon to find a note on a site giving the recommended coordinates to use or a specific exit to take, etc, that may disagree with the GPS.

I once made the mistake of following the GPS rather than the campground directions. The GPS took me through downtown Branson (45 ft Beaver), and I had to wait until several cars (heavy traffic) backed up or turned before I could get enough room to make a right turn on narrow streets. It wouldn't have helped to disconnect the toad.

But the directions provided by the campground went a little further on the main highway to an exit that allowed a nice 4-lane direct shot to the campground.

The campground often provides directions for more than one reason, even if you have GPS.

Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis, is another example where you need to follow the campground's directions. I made the mistake of following the GPS and wished I was driving a Humvee in the neighborhood the GPS took me through.

Can highly recommend to RV Park though. Just follow their directions on how to get there.

I’m currently at a campground with a 12 foot overpass just up the road. Despite warnings on the website, plenty of folks blindly follow their GPS and get off the wrong exit.

Follow the cg instructions
I've seen some explicitly state "Do not use GPS instructions".

Yes, if the campground has specific directions, its for a reason. Use Google maps or other mapping programs and look at their directions and understand them before you get there, work it out in your head what they want you to do.

For example...............

Spearfish City Campground, Spearfish SD (quoting from the website)
Do not follow GPS directions. That route is closed and there is no turn around. Take exit 12 off Interstate 90. Go west, take left at second stop light on Canyon Street. Proceed to campground.

You also do not tell us what you are driving and/or towing. This is important as you need to use a GPS or map system that will not allow you to go under a "bridge too short"! If you are driving a typical motorhome like mine which is 12' tall, you do not want to go under a bridge which is only 11' high.

There are GPS systems which are specifically made for RVs which enable you to set your rig's height, width, weight, and number of propane tanks. It will route you away from things which could cause problems, such as the following infamous bridge: 11 FOOT 8 - The Canopener Bridge . (They recently raised the bridge an additional 8" but it doesn't seem to help much.)

Also, are you going to visit only one campground or taking a much longer trip? If you have something like a popup trailer or a teardrop, you can probably manage with any GPS system.

Last edited:
Most of the time we use the directions provided by the campground for traveling those last few miles. More than once we have found them to be better than what the GPS suggested. Even an RV-GPS doesn't "know" if one exit off the interstate will be on an easier to drive road than another exit.
The most pertinent website to demonstrate that is militarycampgrounds.us. Military bases have multiple auto gates, some closer to the Famcamp than the truck entrance that large RV's must use. Choose wrong(follow GPS) and you find yourself in a bind, follow Larry's directions and you have no problems.

You also do not tell us what you are driving and/or towing. This is important as you need to use a GPS or map system that will not allow you to go under a "bridge too short"! If you are driving a typical motorhome like mine which is 12' tall, you do not want to go under a bridge which is only 11' high.

There are GPS systems which are specifically made for RVs which enable you to set your rig's height, width, weight, and number of propane tanks. It will route you away from things which could cause problems, such as the following infamous bridge: 11 FOOT 8 - The Canopener Bridge . (They recently raised the bridge an additional 8" but it doesn't seem to help much.)

Also, are you going to visit only one campground or taking a much longer trip? If you have something like a popup trailer or a teardrop, you can probably manage with any GPS system.
I use my Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS in my truck when pulling the trailer. It has a setting for TRUCKS, meaning large trailer trucks. It will take me out of the way to bypass any low overhead obstructions or places where a big truck would have problems negotiating turns.

I know of at least 3 times when using GPS instead of Campground directions can lead to trouble. I always look at the campground recommendations then use GPS until I get to that point, then follow the campground recommendations. One was to avoid a low underpass, another was to avoid a one lane bridge and possible flooding, last was to avoid bad mountain passes.

One assumes the campground knows where they are at... I've followed their directions a few times.. and noteded things like "1/4 mile turn .." Should have been 4 miles turn....

But as noted GPS can take you wrong too
For one thing many campgrounds have both a mailing address and an entrance.. Not always on the same road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom