GPS SUGGESTIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also participated in the GPS transition from LORAN. Actually seeing a chart on the display with a little symbol indicating your position rather than lat/long numbers to be plotted made the entire exercise much easier. I do enjoy the much larger screen on the boat and the radar and AIS overlay which is not practical for land use. I think that specialized units have their place. Although being able to randomly pull up a chart when telling sea stories and point to the fishing hole does have some appeal.

NOAA just announced a beta test of a charting program for android tablets which some of you may be interested in. Supposedly all 1023 charts and the 9 volumes of Coast Pilot are available for download. In the program you can even add updates as needed. It is not approved as a replacement for navigation charts on an inspected vessel yet, but what an improvement that would turn out to be. It almost makes me want to go buy an android tablet to try out the system. The beta test will run until Labor Day.

Ken

Ken, do you have a link to the NOAA test site?  We'll be on Lake Michigan several times this summer and I would like to see this program in action.

Ned said:
Ken, do you have a link to the NOAA test site?  We'll be on Lake Michigan several times this summer and I would like to see this program in action.

+2, por favor.

Posting the site would make it easier wouldn't it? Try this:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mynoaacharts/

Ken

Ken, thanks, getting it now from the Play store.

Would you let me know if it's any good Ned? I may just go buy a tablet as a planning tool if it looks promising.

Ken

It will be a while before I'm actually on the lake to try the navigation, but I was able to download the Lake Michigan chart (146MB) and it looks ok on my Nexus 7.  I wouldn't buy a tablet just for this app, but with all the other useful apps available, this is just icing on the cake for a boater.

Wow, this is a nice app.... thanks for the link.

Ned,

Is there a way to store the charts on a SD card?  At some point the directory of charts would take a lot of storage?????

BTW, BCNAVigator has this option... maybe NOAA could get them to add nautical charts to the map inventory?????

Thx.

Is there a way to store the charts on a SD card?  At some point the directory of charts would take a lot of storage? ??? ?

Don't know, my Nexus 7 doesn't have an external SD card slot.  I haven't found where it put the charts.  You might ask at the web site, there is a page for inquiries and comments.

the  Rand McNally RVND 7720 GPS looks good but does not say on the site if it comes with Canadian maps, does anyone know?

canuckrv said:
the  Rand McNally RVND 7720 GPS looks good but does not say on the site if it comes with Canadian maps, does anyone know?

I type in a Canadian location and the map comes up on my RVND 7720 LM. There is also a tag on the back of the unit that reads Canada 310, so I am assuming by how my 7720 reacts that Canada is part of the system.

I guess what I should have asked was do they have detailed maps of Canada? or just bare bones?
thanks

canuckrv said:
I guess what I should have asked was do they have detailed maps of Canada? or just bare bones?
thanks

From what I can see, it is as detailed as the USA maps...

Ned said:
Don't know, my Nexus 7 doesn't have an external SD card slot.  I haven't found where it put the charts.  You might ask at the web site, there is a page for inquiries and comments.

haven't tried this yet but there is a way, sorta:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/how-to-transfer-files-from-an-sd-card-onto-a-nexus-7-50010107/

Oscar Mike said:
From what I can see, it is as detailed as the USA maps...

from playing around on their website I can't locate gas, restaurants etc so i was just wondering if the gps was better I asked RM and got a snarkey reply with cover US and Canada highlighted just from that reply I think I will look elsewhere.

Ned said:
That's fine for moving files to and from the tablet but we want the charts stored on the tablet itself, preferably on the internal SD card storage.  An external SD card just won't do it :)

My thought to store all the charts on a "card" or "thumbdrive" and, then,  be able to "load" the charts into the tablet as needed instead of loading a ton of charts into the tablet and running out of storage.  If they "remove" the chart download feature in the fall...at least we'd have a copy, just in case.  Probably much ado about little... could always download new charts for your area as needed and delete the old ones.  Handy for the "Great Loop" trip. 

We have actually been using and have been real happy with using our smart phone with the gps and map navigation that came with it.  Also found a $19.00 suction mount at Walmart.

canuckrv said:

Not sure about the Canadian maps but from what I've heard it is best to get the Good Sam version of the same GPS. It is the same model with a few variations. I think it is a 7725. I just purchased one and it is on its way. My mothers husband just bought the RVND 7720 and is headed back to Nebraska right now so when he gets back Hopefully we can compare notes and see if there really is difference. Here is the link to the RVND 7725 from Good Sam http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/good-sam-gps/68986 there is a short video on the site to check it out. Good luck and SAFE TRAVELS!!!
J&C

canuckrv said:

I'm sure they are out there to be downloaded and loaded to the GPS. :D I just checked out the link I put up in the earlier post and it clearly says US & Canadian maps. So, yes it does.

Back
Top Bottom