GPS SYSTEMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary,

IIRC the Garmin equivalent to the IWay 500C is the 2730 which I think was selling for around $1,500 when we bought the 500C.

Looks like prices are coming down. When we were at the Monaco and FMCA rallies, small distributors were selling the iWay for significantly more than the prices you quoted and than what we paid at Fry's.

We all know that our phones have gps. Why can't the cell phone be an all in one.  I would love to buy a decent cell phone that would act as "navigation" as well as all of the other nice amenities they already have.  I bicycle ride and having a small hand held cell phone that would also help me find my way would be ideal!
I have heard the TREO might be one to look into?
Lori

While most new phones do have GPS capabilities, it's limited for E911 use only right now.  If the public shows enough demand, the phone manufacturers will add additional features using the GPS information, but expect to pay more to the carriers when they make it availalble.

The Treo is a PDA from Palm that also is a cellular phone.  Most PDAs today either have GPS capabliities built in or will accept a GPS card.

Might want to look at verizon's new navigator option ???

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/31/verizon-rolls-out-vz-navigator-service-on-one-phone/

Do you want the GPS for trip mavigation?

If that is the case the earlier answers are very good.

However there are other GPS units available including portable units with which you can download forest service maps for hiking and wilderness navigation.

There are also units with  set-ups for the boating/fishing nuts that let you set way points and your favorite fishing spot on that lake or marine inlet.

The general rule is the more portable and universal function you want the more it can cost.

I have a PDA (a little hand held computer) and purchased a GPS receiver which communicates with the PDA via Bluetooth.  I download the state I am interested into the PDA and then have a street navigation device that I can move from vehichle to vehicle.

What I do not get with this set-up is the ability to navigate once I am off the road or highway.

So it is a good idea to decide what you want to do with your GPS.

GreyLobo said:
So it is a good idea to decide what you want to do with your GPS.

Good advice. We (I) sometimes offer an answer assuming we/I know how the recipient plans to use the device.

IRC the Garmin equivalent to the IWay 500C is the 2730 which I think was selling for around $1,500 when we bought the 500C.

Tough to say which models are comparable, now that they are getting into non-GPS features such as mp3 players. The 2730 has XM satellite radio as well as mp3, for example, but the display is smaller than the 500C.  Wish they would stick to mapping -  I can get a better mp3 player anywhere if I want one on the dashboard!

RV Roamer said:
The 2730 has XM satellite radio as well as mp3, for example, but the display is smaller than the 500C.

I must have the model number wrong then, because the "comparable" Garmin had a 5" screen.

Karl said:
I looked at the Verizon website and couldn't find any reference to this new service; only on the link you provided. Sounds like it's either in very early development or someone's pipe dream. Any more info available?

Here's the info I found,

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/turnbyturn.jsp

Karl,

"Seems like you could use up a LOT of airtime in addition to the $9.99/month."

Did you play with the demo ? As slow as it was just getting setup to use it was good for at least 4 minutes of air time... ;D

FWIW Fry's Electronics has the Lowrance iWay 500C on sale for $599 with an additional $100 rebate, which brings it to the same price as the 350C ($499). Go to http://www.outpost.com and put iWay into the search box.

I've seen the 350 with street prices as low as $375, but a net price of $499 for a 500 sounds great. 

How do you like your 500 so far?  Compared to the old Street Pilot?  You had an SP III before did you not?

Gary,

We paid $799 at Fry's for our 500C less than 6 months ago, when the equivalent Garmin unit was $1,500. So $499 is a darned good price.

We still have the SPIII and I've used both alongside each other on a number of trips. I've found places where the 500C maps are more accurate, maybe because Garmin isn't updating the SPIII maps (?)

We chose the 500C specifically because Chris kept coming back to it after trying numerous brands and models alongside each other in the store. Chris is definitely not a button person, so for her to choose this I knew it had to be the most intuitive to use.

FWIW the 500C uses the RAM style mounts, adjustable to almost any angle. They provide two of them together (one short, one long) with a very good windshield suction mount and a handlebar mount (for motorcycle).

One issue I've seen with the 500C is an occasional "I'm getting hot, please cool me down or shut me off" message. That very bright 5" screen sucks up some power and, when the unit is mounted too far forward in the coach windshield on a hot sunny day, the rear mounted heatsink can't dissipate the heat fast enough. It's only happened a couple of times and only in the coach (not in the Burb), but I solved it by placing a baseball cap over the rear of the unit to reduce solar heating. Of course, there's a tradeoff since the cap is preventing some dissipation from the heatsink, but I haven't seen the warning message since using a cap.

Another solution to the above would be to mount the unit out of the windshield altogether, but that would require an external antenna.

I'm wondering if the combination of lower price and rebate signal a replacement model on its way. Maybe Lowrance had complaints or returns because of the heat issue  ??? FWIW the larger Garmin had disappeared from Fry's when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

FWIW the 500C uses the RAM style mounts, adjustable to almost any angle. They provide two of them together (one short, one long) with a very good windshield suction mount and a handlebar mount (for motorcycle).

I'm surprised the RAM suction mount has an arm long enough to work well on a motorhome dashboard.  How long is it?

Gary,

It's not just the length of the RAM arm, but the suction cup has a length to it and a ball protruding from the back, so does the other end (which snaps onto the back of the 500C). Using only the longer of the two arms, it's 10.75" from the windshield side of the suction cup to the front screen - assuming they're in a straight line. In practice, the windshield is at an angle, so both ends of the RAM arm are angled (one up, one down), reducing the overall length.

The length works fine for my use, but it's possible to use both included RAM arms together to make it longer. I believe RAM also sells longer arms. Were you planning on driving from the sofa?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom