GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blw2 said:
I kinda miss the days of the old paper map atlas.  Back then, planning the route was part of the adventure for me...
I think about it sometimes when I use google to find the fastest route....I think there's no way I would have thought of that routing back in the day...and I used to be pretty good at finding the best way to go!
Anyway, I have found my situational awareness stinks now...I used to think I have a very good "internal compass", but now realize it was really just familiarity with the layout of the roads en route....now I just blindly follow the little voice.... ???

You know you're getting old when you're looking at a paper may and you try to pinch it with your fingers to zoom in...  :-[

I guess I'm a hybrid. I have about a dozen AAA maps open and spread out as we plan next year's Grand Tour. I look at them over a glass of wine, looking for places we've been, and places to visit on the way and back. Then, I flag them on the US map, and use that to start routing in SA 2014.

I just can't properly visualize a trip on a GPS screen.

Blw2, join AAA, go get a fist full of maps, and have a blast...

blw2 said:
I kinda miss the days of the old paper map atlas.  Back then, planning the route was part of the adventure for me...
I think about it sometimes when I use google to find the fastest route....I think there's no way I would have thought of that routing back in the day...and I used to be pretty good at finding the best way to go!
Anyway, I have found my situational awareness stinks now...I used to think I have a very good "internal compass", but now realize it was really just familiarity with the layout of the roads en route....now I just blindly follow the little voice.... ???

We're kinda the same.
We keep an up-to-date Atlas with us, and plot routes with it.
I do like Google Maps on a big screen, and love being able to zoom in, and use street view to see what a particular intersection is going to look like.

When we are all ready to roll, though, I will plug the day's destination into the GPS and let it point us in the right direction.
When we see something that we want to detour on, we can just silence the GPS and go exploring, and when we done, the GPS can still point us to our destination.

jymbee said:
It's been a long time since I used Basecamp-- thanks for the reminder! For me it's much easier to create/edit routes on the PC then transfer to the GPS. Easy to fine tune routes rather than to just rely on the default routes the GPS wants to use.

I'm downloading Basecamp now...

I see that Garmin has some very useful videos showing how it all works here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=6af85GiKVl4

I've used Basecamp with success in prior seasons, but this year the uploader wouldn't work.  Threw errors, and I tried everything I could think of.  I saw a mention online that its latest update may have caused this.

Did you have any luck using it?

FunSteak said:
I've used Basecamp with success in prior seasons, but this year the uploader wouldn't work.  Threw errors, and I tried everything I could think of.  I saw a mention online that its latest update may have caused this.

Did you have any luck using it?

I have quite old Garmin units (not supported anymore) and some less old and the RV770.

Sometimes I have some fits with the old units but the new one has been fine.

Planning out a 6-8 week trip a few years from now.

Mine is sitting on a shelf in the B/R.  It is way beyond me. Want to enjoy my vacation not have my belly tied up in knots.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

SLOweather said:
<snip>
I just can't properly visualize a trip on a GPS screen.
I second this. 
I always carry paper charts too, but then I used to have a name tag that Navigator. 

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom