Gray water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gyrophoenix

When at a full hookup facility, I've been waiting for the gray water tank to get half full, then running the Sani Con to empty it out. I was wondering if I could just leave the gray water tank open, and let the water flow, by natural gravity and water pressure, through the Sani Con and out to the dump connection. Does the Sani Con allow this, or will it screw up its operation?

Thanks.

The Sani Con is simply a macerating pump. Water should flow thru it just fine. Why do you have it? The main reason for them is emptying of the black tank by making a slurry, but you don't have a black tank. Are you using the Sani Con to pump the gray water somewhere? (which it will do).

Charles

I never leave the black or grey tanks open. When it is time to dump I dump

Ever see the ads for the useless black tank chemicals showing the stinky RV with strink coming out the tank vents? VERY good chance he left his gray valve open. so it would drain.. The stink comes up out of the ground.. Why you have a water trap in your house drains.

See it happen in office buildings when the water trap in a floor drain dried out.. Fixed it with a bucket of water.

I position my sewer hose to form a trap where it empties into the park system. Even so, I almost never leave the gray open and never the black.

If we were on a site fairly long term (weeks or months) I usually left the gray drain open, closing it a day before I anticipated emptying the black tank. If I only expected to be on the site 1-5 days, I left it closed and dumped both tanks at the same time, before leaving.

That wasn't a rigid schedule, though. If we were doing a lot of laundry, I'd probably make sure the gray valve was open to let the washer water drain away rather than filling the waste tank quickly.

Funny, I was coming on to ask a question about what to do when on a site with sewer. We are getting our used TT next week, so have no experience yet. My question was, do I leave my black water tank open while hooked up, I thought not, because there would not be enough water flow to take solids out of the flat tank. Never considered the grey water tank. Sounds like I should keep both closed unless close to full?

My question was, do I leave my black water tank open while hooked up, I thought not, because there would not be enough water flow to take solids out of the flat tank. Never considered the grey water tank. Sounds like I should keep both closed unless close to full?
You are absolutely right about the black tank. The gray will depend on a number of things but for brief stays I keep both closed and then dump both, black tank first then gray to make sure no solids remain in the hose. When stopped for a week or longer I do like Gary and leave the gray dump valve open until a day or two before time to dump the black.

Back
Top Bottom