Greeting from Europe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple

Hi all! bought an old Ford. can it be converted into a motorhome? or is it a bad idea? advise me what can be done from this

Attachments

• 684b97c8109a27b25255912ed1e2064d(1).jpg
    684b97c8109a27b25255912ed1e2064d(1).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 7
Greetings. Where in Europe?
As for can it be converted? Maybe, depends on how much money you want to throw at it. To me trying to convert is a big nono. However you could easily enough add a small water tank, a small holding tank and a couple of bunks with storage under for camp stove, chairs etc. You could do this for a few hunderd, euros in your case. My brother did a couple he used for fishing trips alone or with one other for a few days. The last one worked really well.

Purple,
Of course it can be done, but suggest that you look at as many as you can find before you start.
My father did one 50 years ago and they and my mother traveled in it until he stopped doing anything.
Mother gave to to me and we tried, but with two kids in tow, it just didn't work.
Matt

Welcome aboard. That certainly is big enough to convert. However by the time you get it all done unless you have all the tools and skills and $$$ already you may be better off buying a towable caravan.

Depends on how much you want to do. Build a frame for a mattress in the back, install a few base cabinets and purchase a little propane camp stove. purchase a camp toilet and Bob’s you uncle. Anything more than that and you are probably wasting money.

Oldgator73 said do it on the cheep and see if you like it the unit can do it but money put in counts also. By the way welcome to the forum frome east TN smoky mountains area.​

The people who camp/live in vans like this in the US are known as “van dwellers.” Many have modified their rigs on their own. I recommend you look at sites specific to van dwellers to get a lot of ideas. We don’t have many here.

YouTube has lots of van life videos. Some people do it fancy others not so much. Depends on what tools and work place you have available to you. That is a E250 or E350 model so it is quite heavy duty as far as suspension and frame. You could tow a trailer/caravan with it, but the long overhang makes for an uncomfortable tow with a heavier trailer. It all depends on tools and skills and money. As Matt_C noted, look at all the different ones you can first to determine what works and what doesn't.

I typed Van Living Build in the Youtube search box and got lots of hits. one was a van like yours.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=van+living+build

As already mentioned, build something cheap and easy to try it for a while, if you like it, then you can spend more or upgrade.

You will be better off in the long run with a high roof Sprinter/Transit or whatever the Fiat or Peugeot version of the Ram Promaster is.

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom