Grey tank overflowed and water leaked into underbelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cantfindusername

Noticed water streaming out from undercover in my used (new to us) Palomino Sabre 2011.  When I looked underneath I saw where the lining had been cut and patched by the previous owner.  I poked a hole in the tape but there was very little water in the underbelly (I pulled the drain as soon as I saw the water).

Dealer I purchased from sold the unit new and said they never did any work to it.  I am thinking the grey tank had overflowed on the previous owner as we'll.  My dealer did get it looked at and filled the tank but did not find a problem.  He also said they did jot see any water damage. 

Previously I had a Jayco and when the grey tank filled it would backup into the bathtub.  Sabre did not backup.  Is there a vent or overflow device that caused this problem?  I plan to just leave the grey tank valve open from now on and keep an eye on it. 

The vent on these tanks usually enters in the TOP of the tank and goes to the roof, it would have to be really full to overflow there. But, I guess it could depending on how the vent pipe (or even the other inputs) are secured/sealed at the tank.

A really full grey tank backing up into the shower or bathtub drain when over full is somewhat normal as these drains are usually at the lowest point (when compared to sink drains).

I think you may have to dig into that one a bit more as it could be a bad connection to the tank or pipe fittings cracked, especially if there was any chance of it freezing with water in the pipes. How about other water pipes leaking in that area??

A leak from the tank usually means that the waste inlet pipe is not completely sealed. Excess waste water should back up in the pipes until it appears in the lowest drain (usually the shower), but if the joint where the pipe enters the tank is not sealed well, it will run out there instead. Sounds as though this has happened before, so maybe was a factory defect. However, waste water tanks have been known to shift a bit in their mounts and cause a break in the seal or even a crack in the pipe fitting. If you can open up the undercover and get a look, it might be worth investigating.

I really think the dealers service tech did not spend a lot of time troubleshooting it.  I guess I am lucky they even looked at it since no warranty.

Really common for me to fill each tank up till full and let stand with for the night. I never notice any water leaking out (which is a good thing!). So I would follow Gary advise and remove the belly and find out where the leak is and check the plumbing and tank fitting for damage. Like he said it might be a tank moving around loose.

The grey water tank on my Flagstaff  5th wheel was leaking when I came home last September from our 11,000 mile trip from Florida to Washington State.  I took it to a reputable repair facility and they diagnosed it as a leak in the tank caused by rubbing against a rough spur on the frame.  They removed the tank, repaired it, and smoothed out the frame member before reinstalling it.

Ron

Noticed water streaming out from undercover in my used (new to us) Palomino Sabre 2011. When I looked underneath I saw where the lining had been cut and patched by the previous owner. I poked a hole in the tape but there was very little water in the underbelly (I pulled the drain as soon as I saw the water).

Dealer I purchased from sold the unit new and said they never did any work to it. I am thinking the grey tank had overflowed on the previous owner as we'll. My dealer did get it looked at and filled the tank but did not find a problem. He also said they did jot see any water damage.

Previously I had a Jayco and when the grey tank filled it would backup into the bathtub. Sabre did not backup. Is there a vent or overflow device that caused this problem? I plan to just leave the grey tank valve open from now on and keep an eye on it.

The grey water tank on my Flagstaff 5th wheel was leaking when I came home last September from our 11,000 mile trip from Florida to Washington State. I took it to a reputable repair facility and they diagnosed it as a leak in the tank caused by rubbing against a rough spur on the frame. They removed the tank, repaired it, and smoothed out the frame member before reinstalling it.

I visited the website in that link and the author clearly doesn't know much about RVs. His opening paragraph demonstrates is lack of knowledge. "If your RV gray water tank overflows, it can create a big mess. Here’s what to do if it happens to you. The first step is to figure out where the water is coming from. Is it coming from the sink, shower, or toilet? " Anyone that knows even the basics of an RV would know that the toilet empties into the black tank and can not fill the gray water tank. And his entire story is about the tank overflowing while you are traveling down the road. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This thread is 8 years old and was made live again yesterday. I am all for people doing forum searches to help solve problems. When reviewing old posts beware of commenting "resurrecting" old posts, of folks that posted 2 times 8 years ago. Pretty sure this is someone trying to generate traffic on their own website.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom