Grey water valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

I have a 2004 mini Winnie. The gray water valve is not shutting completely as it rains down over time. How big of a job is it to replace that?

Usually not hard. The blade and seals are held in place usually by 4 bolts. Since there are several bramds of valves you first need to identify the brand you have. On my fiver I had to drop part of the underbelly to access the valve. Take the 4 bolts out, work the 2 halves apart. I loostened the Furnco fitting to slide one end apart. Drop the old blade and seals. Grease everything up using lots of plumbers grease, slip it back together. Carefully check to be sure the seals ha e not shifted, put the 4 bolts back on. Tighten very evenly. Dump in maybe 5 gallons of water and check for leaks.

There are some good U-tube videos. They make it look easy. I have not done it myself. Search for RV drain valve.

I have done this a couple of times. On the ones I've done when the valve is pulled out the gap partially closes up. Then I'm trying to spread the connecting pipes apart while trying to get the new valve and seals in place without damaging anything. Frustrating but usually only takes 30 minutes. Some valves are glued in so obviously that is a bigger job. Do both the black and grey. They are likely the same age and the other will fail soon. When buying a replacement valve I prefer one with a metal pull handle. The plastic handles get brittle and break off or the plastic threads strip.

In the meantime you could install a twist on valve on the end of your discharge sewer pipe. This serves as a backup valve in case you have a valve leaking by like in your case. I have one and leave it on all the time. It eliminates any unwanted surprises when you remove the end cap off your sewer pipe.

You more than likely only need new seals. Do it on two different motorhomes and is very easy to do. Save you some money too!

I'm on our second Valtera grey tank valve and it's already starting to leak at where the metal rod meets the plastic housing. Who makes the best valve?

Back
Top Bottom