hand guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Beard said:
No, the onus is on you. You prove what you're saying.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Where in there does it say that anyone has the right to buy, sell or own guns?

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...is achieved by not infringing on my right to bear arms.  Gun ownership was almost universal at the time the constitution was written.  The continental Congress could barely raise funds to pay and feed soldiers never mind distribute guns. 

Paul 1950 said:
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Paul, if you will take the time to read the Federalist Papers ( wtitten by many of those instrumental in the writing of all of the original Amendments), it is ?very clear? as to the meaning of the 2nd. Amendment!

OBX said:
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...is achieved by not infringing on my right to bear arms.  Gun ownership was almost universal at the time the constitution was written.  The continental Congress could barely raise funds to pay and feed soldiers never mind distribute guns.

That does not change the fact that the 2nd Amendment does give anyone the right to buy, sell,or own guns.

Memtb said:
  Paul, if you will take the time to read the Federalist Papers ( wtitten by many of those instrumental in the writing of all of the original Amendments), it is ?very clear? as to the meaning of the 2nd. Amendment!

That does not change the fact that the 2nd Amendment does not give anyone the right to buy, sell, or own guns.

The intent was to provide the common citizens the ability to fight against a tyrannical governernment , similar to which they had recently escaped. Nothing has changed today.....other than the slow erosion of the 2nd. Amendment.  An erosion begun in 1934, by ?leftist? gaining power within our government!

OK folks as we already knew, some believe citizens have a right to own guns, and some don?t. We all know no one is changing anyone?s mind here so let?s move along.

I don't know about that Sun2retire.  The arguments and factual substantiation for ownership have been so compelling that there are members of this site going out right now to get licensed.  ;-)

And the Federal government and state governments can enact laws as to what ?arms? and ammunition citizens may buy, sell and own. Arms, as stated in the Constitution, should not include any weapon manufactured.
Is anyone upset that you cannot carry your firearm on your person on an airplane? Is anyone upset that firearms are not allowed into the annual NRA convention? Is anyone upset that you cannot carry a firearm into any government building?
I have nothing against law abiding citizens owning legal firearms. However, I do not want me or my family around a bunch of folks at public venues, be it restaurants, department stores, National and State Recreation areas, etc with firearms either strapped to their sides or slung over their shoulders.

Paul 1950 said:
Amendment II

You are correct, it does not say that.....just like most speed limit signs (at least where I live) don't say "MPH" after the speed limit number.  So maybe, they really mean, 70 miles per half hour...or 70 kilometers per hour, or maybe 70 tire revolutions per second/minute.  That makes about as much sense as your logic.  Inferred is the fact that to keep and bear would be that you bought the arm(s).

OBX said:
Paull 1950 you seemed to have left off the most important section...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

:))

xrated said:
You are correct, it does not say that.....just like most speed limit signs (at least where I live) don't say "MPH" after the speed limit number.  So maybe, they really mean, 70 miles per half hour...or 70 kilometers per hour, or maybe 70 tire revolutions per second/minute.  That makes about as much sense as your logic.  Inferred is the fact that to keep and bear would be that you bought the arm(s).

The Constitution exists to limit the reach and control of the federal government.  Not the people. 
Power not specifically given to the federal government is retained to states, and therefore the people of those states......in theory.

But that doesn't seem to matter any more.

Gods Country said:
The Constitution exists to limit the reach and control of the federal government.  Not the people. 
Power not specifically given to the federal government is retained to states, and therefore the people of those states......in theory.

But that doesn't seem to matter any more.

As a newbie (without a gun), I am planning on getting by with an NRA sticker on the door, an "insured by smith & wesson" bumper sticker and a can of bear spray.

Aside from "peace of mind" has anyone ever actually needed to use their firearm while camping/traveling?

Paul 1950 said:
Keeping and bearing arms is not the same as buying, selling or owning.

Although you may be correct in a very narrow semantic sense, the flip side is, how can one keep or bear arms without the ability to buy or own them...? Look at the same response, using a less emotional issue: you (the general you, not the specific)) are allowed to use and drive cars, but not allowed to buy or own one; doesn't the latter portion pretty much make the former useless?

That isn't to say that there cannot be, or should not be, restrictions; there are no unfettered rights in the Constitution. My only point is that I see your argument as an exercise in semantics that obfuscates, at best, the actual underlying issue; whether and/or how much gun ownership coukd/should be restricted. I prefer clear language; it's harder to misunderstand...  :)

I've wondered if Bear Spray would be a problem or not in some states or municipalities.  It is sort of like a super sized pepper spray and some places are strict about these things.

breezie said:
As a newbie (without a gun), I am planning on getting by with an NRA sticker on the door, an "insured by smith & wesson" bumper sticker and a can of bear spray.

Aside from "peace of mind" has anyone ever actually needed to use their firearm while camping/traveling?

I'm not sure I would really want to use spray (bear or otherwise) inside the RV; personal experience (not in an RV) indicated that the lingering presence can last for many days. In the house, one of our standbys is wasp spray; easy to aim, excellent distance, no lingering effects in the house, and it's supposed to be rather uncomfortable in the eyes and mouth; we keep a can near the doors, to create a few more seconds of reaction time, if need be. After that...

breezie said:

I would probably refrain from that.  Your freedom of speech can be an opportunity for others. 

Homes and vehicles with such stickers are often the target of thieves when you're not home.
Likewise, some in law enforcement have been known to use such stickers to inquire further as to weapons, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom