hand held GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

Any suggestion on what type of hand held GPS to purchase. Last trip out I got lost while hiking in the woods ( being a seasoned outdoorsmen , I failed to take a map, compass, food or water ) Would be nice to find one that could be used to locate yourself on the highways and by-ways also.  Anyone out there tried one ??

I have a Magellan GPS 315 which I got at a bargain. Works good for me, but the next one I get will have altitude (altimeter) and longer battery life. Any of the handhelds will work...depends on what bells and whistles you want and how much you want to spend.

I have a Garmin 60CS and I like it very well for hunting and finding my way back to the truck.  I hadn't used for about a year.  My son and I were discussion our upcoming deer hunt and were trying to find the area we had hunted previously using Google Earth.  We  couldn't agree on the site but I happened to remember that I had entered the truck coordinates and stnads on the GPS.  Got the GPS out and check the saved spots. Then entered the coordinates onto Google Earth.  It sure eliminated the guess work.
Jake

I have a Garmin GPSMAP76S.
Good sized screen; good battery life; you can move the curser around on the screen to look past the borders without having to zoom out so far you can see info; works great in the car.
The "S" stands for sensors so it does read the altimeter barometric change and it has an electronic compass.
The computer software for the Garmins is adequate and it works with Google Earth.
Only change I would possibly make is going to a color screen although I'm not sure how that shortens battery life.

There's lots out there; go look at them before you buy!

I have an old Garmin 40 that I bought because I could not find my truck after Quail hunting in the desert around the Tortilla mountain?s, everything looked the same and moss don?t grow on the north side of a Saguaro!! ::)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom